Crackers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmcgrew

Executive Chef
:) What are your favorite main stream crackers? I like the Wasa, Rye Crisps, Akmak, Finn crisp, wheat thins, tricuits, water crackers and many many more I guess I like all crackers including saltines plus fancy crackers when I can get them.

I like the Wasa and Rye Crisps wit hummus... alot!
Wheat thins need nothing they are my favorite alone...
I melt cheddar on Triscuits...
Oh but then there's cinnamon sugar grahams...
I wanna much now!!!!!

Never been much on crackers. Usually seem too salty for me.

Occasionally will eat saltines with general-type soups or Ritz-like ones with tomato soup.

Only one cracker that really "rings my chimes" is Nabisco Pilot crackers. Unfortunately can't get them anywhere except certain areas of the East coast. They're perfect with clam chowder or wild rice soup. Yum! Miss them like crazy.

BRETON by Dare-sesame flavor. Stoneground wheat thins.
Triscuits, Ritz. Those are just for munching or with cheese.
For soup - tomato soup-Townhouse or Ritz. Manhattan Clam
Chowder-oysterettes(Idon't think that's a brand, but 8 sided,
or saltines)
With peanutbutter, Ritz or Townhouse.
With butter, Matzo.

:) What are your favorite main stream crackers? I like the Wasa, Rye Crisps, Akmak, Finn crisp, wheat thins, tricuits, water crackers and many many more I guess I like all crackers including saltines plus fancy crackers when I can get them.

Ackkkk!! I can't say I have heard of most of the ones you got listed. Now you got me curious!

Don't laugh! But I like Cheezits, club, and townhouse the best. I guess I have never ventured much into the fancy-schmancy crackers. I usually try to avoid crackers... but man, ain't nothing better than cheezits when you got the munchies!!!

My DH has celiac and I can tolerate only so much wheat, so we have really grown accustomed to rice crackers. There are many of them out on the market and some are good and some are, well, not so good. We also like popcorn thins - they are like rice cakes but thinner. I put my homemade spinach dip on them and they are a great snack!

Most of those crackers I never heard of either, Sattie. I don't think they are mainstream around here. And I love cheesitz, too, the white cheddar ones.
For versatility I love plain old Ritz. I always have some one hand and they go on sale all the time. My favorite though is (are?) Triscuits. I love em plain or with swiss cheese and pepperoni on them, nuked or cold. Wheat thins are good. Those chicken n biscuit ones are good. Regular saltines with a can of Dr Pepper.... mmmm.
But going by the ones I always seem to have in the cupboard, Ritz.

Never met a cracker that I didn't like.........:)

That makes two of us, except I'm not crazy about Triscuits. They kinda remind me of shredded wheat.

My fave every day crackers are Zesta whole wheat saltines. I can nibble 6 crackers for only 45 calories.
I also love Wheat Thins, Ritz, Townhouse, and Cheezits. Nabisco now also has Wheat Thins Crisps that come in a bag. They are thinner than the regular crackers, so you can eat more of them for the same amount of calories.

Wheat Thins. I like the regular ones, but love the flavored ones. The dried tomato and basil and the Parmesan and basil are my favs.

Water crackers, melba toast....pretty much any cracker without flavoring added. I like some herb flavored ones but I usually top them with a variety of cheeses and cured meats. Flavored ones just ruin the moment. lol

My favorite crackers, hands-down, are "Stoned Wheat Thins". (The regular, not the low sodium.) Great with EVERYTHING - caviar, cheese, dips.

After that, all other crackers are pretty much a toss-up for me unless I have a particular purpose for a specific type.

My favorite crackers, hands-down, are "Stoned Wheat Thins". (The regular, not the low sodium.) Great with EVERYTHING - caviar, cheese, dips.
I love those too. Those are my standard go to cracker. I love most other types too, but these are the ones I grab most of the time.

Water crackers, melba toast....pretty much any cracker without flavoring added. I like some herb flavored ones but I usually top them with a variety of cheeses and cured meats. Flavored ones just ruin the moment. lol

Whaaat? That's like saying rye bread ruins a reuben sandwich :wacko:
Flavored crackers should be taken for what they are, flavored. You don't need to eat them with anything to enjoy them. Twenty million overweight americans can't be wrong.
:LOL::ROFLMAO:

On the subject of crackers, I saw a very unusual site Tuesday evening. We were going out to friends and I had just gotten in the car and was waiting for DH. This young man (probably about 14 or 15) from the building across the street came walking past the car with of all things in his hand to munch on, a 3/4 full sleeve of saltines!!!! No chips or halloween candy for this teen - just plain crackers!

Either his Mom is bringing him up right or he was desperate for a salty snack and it was all he could find!:LOL:

Flavored crackers should be taken for what they are, flavored. You don't need to eat them with anything to enjoy them. Twenty million overweight americans can't be wrong.

Count me in! Cheezit are one of my favorites. When we buy them, we have to buy two boxes, and hide both of them, or the kids will have them gone in a matter or hours.

I also like Ritz and club crackers. My MIL insists that we keep regular saltines on hand at all times. She just loves to spread some margarine on them, or peanut butter.

I used to make this cracker when I worked up in MI:

Buttermilk Cracker
Yields: ~ 5 servings

1 ¼ c flour, plus extra for dusting
4 T (½ stick) butter
¼ c buttermilk, in all
Salt and pepper to taste
Egg white, lightly beaten

Cut the butter into the flour with a pastry blender, or by hand, until it reassembles coarse crumbs. Add half the buttermilk, and mix together just until it starts to form a firm dough. Use more of the buttermilk if needed. Form into a flattened disk, and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill for 30 minutes
Completely clean a work table. Dust the table top, and a rolling pin with the extra flour. Unwrap the dough and roll out until thin. Transfer the dough to a parchment-lined sheet pan, brush with the egg white, and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
Bake in a 325°F oven for 8 - 12 minutes, or until the cracker is no longer soft and has browned attractively. Allow the cracker to cool, then store in an airtight container.
NOTES: To help keep the cracker crisp, store a small sachet of salt, or a desiccant pack with the cracker. Also, you get a better yield if you roll the cracker very thin, about 1/16” thick, however, it is very brittle. A thicker cracker, about 1/8”, will not have as much yield, but will be better suited for scooping any topping.

If he had had a Dr P in the other hand he could have been me, Laurie! I can easily go through a sleeve of saltines.

Hands down TRICUITS!!!! Plain or with an apple slice & cheddar....well heck you can put ANYTHING on them!!:pig: YUM!
.....I have some cracked black pepper & olive oil ones in the cabinet...excuse me while I grab a few!:LOL:

Saltines come in a close second!

Whaaat? That's like saying rye bread ruins a reuben sandwich :wacko:

Sorry, I just couldn't top a Cheezit with a piece of aged white cheddar and prosciutto. :ermm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom