Cream Cheese help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
My clever and thrifty DH came home a few days ago with a 10 pound block of Cream Cheese. Cream cheese was on the grocery list but he was at Costco so figured that would do. I was figuring an 8 oz package :ermm:

So now what?

Can I freeze it?

Any good ideas to use it up?

I don't think you can freeze it without it getting icky. I foresee a dinner party with a BIG pile of fettucine happening!

CHEESECAKE!!! Of course! Sounds like the perfect solution to me. 10lbs should make what...5 cheesecakes? They freeze OK don't they?

Edit: See this thread for freezing info.

Last edited:
atomic buffalo turds
clam dip
Add your favorite ingredients and make cheese spread. Smoked salmon. Garlic and Herbs. Sundried tomato and chopped olives. Just to name a few.
Philadelphia - Recipes from Kraft PHILADELPHIA

Are the abts the same as armadillo eggs (stuffed japs)? Karen made a smoked salmon cheese cake once. It was pretty good. Of coarse I had to take some to work and not tell folks it was a savory cheese cake.:angel: No worries about allergies as everyone was a U/W hunter and all loved seafood.

Craig

I have a couple of bars in the freezer right now. They were a threefer. I opened one and froze the other two. Have frozen them before with no problems. :)

I second the cheesecake. the unabaked ones freeze especially well. Here is a really good recipe for Israeli Cheesecake that is super easy to make. Just replace the gvina levana (translates to white cheese --- like low fat cream cheese) with regular cream cheese. I have made this many times: Blue Kale Road: Israeli Cheesecake

Put it in 8 ounces packages and freeze. It's a little grainy when thawed, but not too badly.

I've had luck freezing too. I love cream cheese, I would probably bathe in about 5 lbs. of it.

Dawgluver said:
I've had luck freezing too. I love cream cheese, I would probably bathe in about 5 lbs. of it.

I love cream cheese too. Just found chocolate cream cheese. It is great!

chopper said:
I love cream cheese too. Just found chocolate cream cheese. It is great!

Wonderful! Now I have to include a facial! :yum:

Voting for the cheesecake too!

Last edited:
I'm surprised this one hasn't come up yet. Cream cheese is absolutely great with either hot pepper jelly or chutney. Either spread the cheese on crackers or bread, then put a dollop of the jelly/chutney on top, or just take a brick and pour the jelly/chutney over it and serve with crackers or party bread at a party.

Now please don't take this the wrong way, but I would let at least some of it go bad and then be sure to throw it out in front of DH as a lesson of sorts. Better yet, donate it to a homeless shelter or food pantry.

Buying a 10 lb block of cream cheese is not being thrifty, it's not thinking clearly. Kind of like driving 20 miles to save 2 cents a gallon on gas (which my FIL does).

Janet - I've frozen homemade cheesecakes before and they were still in great shape when I defrosted them, so I would imagine you'd be okay freezing your cream cheese. You may want to divide it into several chunks before freezing, though!

Home made strawberry cheesecake ice cream

crab ragunes

Stuffed peppers

ants on a log (celery sticks with cream cheese and peanuts)

dips

New York or Holywood Cheesecake

Sweetened cream cheese mixed with cream for home made eclairs

Pasta sauces

Use in smoothies

Use in sauces in place of sour cream

On bagles

mix with fruit jellies for toast spreads

sweeten and use as a dip with apple or pear slices

Use for tacos and burritoes

add Tex-Mex seasonings and use as a dip with tortilla chips

Use in lasagna

Use in Stroganoff

etc.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Buying a 10 lb block of cream cheese is not being thrifty, it's not thinking clearly.

I totally agree. SO - here's the plan

4.5 lbs | 2 cheese cakes (these should freeze)
0.5 lbs | mix w. salsa for dip (super bowl)
0.5 lbs | mix with capers and smoked salmon, smear on crustini (Super Bowl)
0.5 lbs | mixed with crab and squireted into cuke rounds (superbowl)
0.5 lbs | Icing for carrot cake (superbowl)
0.3 lbs | stuff in dates (super bowl)
0.2 lbs | Sunday AM bagels
0.2 lbs | mix w/olives, make sandwich for DH (monday)
0.2 lbs | mix with pineapple, make sandwich for DH (Tuesday lunch)
0.2 lbs | mix with hot peppers and ham, make sandwich for DH (wed)
0.2 lbs | creamcheese ,salami and arugula sandwich for DH (thurs)
0.2 lbs | creamcheese and cuke sandwich for DH (Friday lunch)
0.4 lbs | Cauliflower mac n cheese Friday dinner

This leaves about 2 lbs - which I am giving to my neighbor for her sunday bash.

See you at the gym.... :pig:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom