"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-13-2015, 07:33 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 2,954
Do not laugh because this is seriously how I like oatmeal. Put it in a bowl and smooth it out. Then make little peaks and sprinkle brown sugar on them, it melts in. Some sugar might go in the valleys which is where I carefully pour the milk so it doesn't touch the sugary tops.
__________________

__________________
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #12
Senior Cook
 
ardchoille's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Do not laugh because this is seriously how I like oatmeal. Put it in a bowl and smooth it out. Then make little peaks and sprinkle brown sugar on them, it melts in. Some sugar might go in the valleys which is where I carefully pour the milk so it doesn't touch the sugary tops.
That is indeed a different way of eating oatmeal, but nothing wrong with that.. it keeps oatmeal from being boring. I sometimes mix in a little wheat bran to change the taste and keep my oatmeal from being boring. Gotta change things up now and then :)
__________________

__________________
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw
ardchoille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:48 PM   #13
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
That is indeed a different way of eating oatmeal, but nothing wrong with that.. it keeps oatmeal from being boring. I sometimes mix in a little wheat bran to change the taste and keep my oatmeal from being boring. Gotta change things up now and then :)
Try oatbran...so much nicer!

Sometimes, as something quick and filling, I will make a light 'porridge' just by using water and organic oatbran (no oatmeal). With a bit of honey/sugar and milk it always hits the spot and is very comforting.
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:52 PM   #14
Senior Cook
 
ardchoille's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Try oatbran...so much nicer!

Sometimes, as something quick and filling, I will make a light 'porridge' just by using water and organic oatbran (no oatmeal). With a bit of honey/sugar and milk it always hits the spot and is very comforting.
Oatbran? Hmm.. I've never seen this, I'll look for it the next time I go shopping. I really need to make a trip to a whole foods store, I'll bet they carry it.
__________________
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw
ardchoille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,380
Consider also that oatmeal doesn't have to be sweet. You could use broth as the liquid and add veggies and or cooked meats. Possibly pieces of breakfast sausage and hard cooked eggs.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:37 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,297
I add coconut milk and oil to mine, no sugar. I'd like to try a mild curry seasoning in it.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:02 PM   #17
Senior Cook
 
ardchoille's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Consider also that oatmeal doesn't have to be sweet. You could use broth as the liquid and add veggies and or cooked meats. Possibly pieces of breakfast sausage and hard cooked eggs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I add coconut milk and oil to mine, no sugar. I'd like to try a mild curry seasoning in it.
I had never viewed oatmeal as anything other than a breakfast cereal.. perhaps I need to change my views on this. I'm going to spend some time looking for more recipes that include oats.
__________________
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw
ardchoille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:45 PM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 2,954
I hope I am never stopped by the police as it is near impossible for me to walk a straight line even on a good day. I sometimes make breakfast for dinner, but oatmeal does not quite reach the top. Grape nuts, yes.

I just copied a new recipe tonight that I can't wait to try. I already spiffed the ingredients, which I think add to the original.

Orange Cinnamon Bun Oatmeal Scones


You might want to look also at Sir Loin of Beef's Pineapple Oatmeal Muffins. These too are on my hot list to make.

Pineapple Oatmeal Muffins
__________________
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:48 PM   #19
Senior Cook
 
ardchoille's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I hope I am never stopped by the police as it is near impossible for me to walk a straight line even on a good day. I sometimes make breakfast for dinner, but oatmeal does not quite reach the top. Grape nuts, yes.

I just copied a new recipe tonight that I can't wait to try. I already spiffed the ingredients, which I think add to the original.

Orange Cinnamon Bun Oatmeal Scones


You might want to look also at Sir Loin of Beef's Pineapple Oatmeal Muffins. These too are on my hot list to make.

Pineapple Oatmeal Muffins
Oh, new oatmeal recipes! Thank you so much! :) can't wait to try these.
__________________
"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." - George Bernard Shaw
ardchoille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:48 AM   #20
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
Oatbran? Hmm.. I've never seen this, I'll look for it the next time I go shopping. I really need to make a trip to a whole foods store, I'll bet they carry it.
Before you check out Whole Paycheck Foods, check your local grocery store. Bob's Red Mill has Oat Bran, as does Hodgson Mill. Both brands are available at grocery stores near me, although I don't know if they have the Hodgson one. I have seen Bob's Oat Bran at my regular grocery store.
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
breakfast, oatmeal

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.