Creating variety: How do you spice up your oatmeal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Before you check out Whole Paycheck Foods, check your local grocery store. Bob's Red Mill has Oat Bran, as does Hodgson Mill. Both brands are available at grocery stores near me, although I don't know if they have the Hodgson one. I have seen Bob's Oat Bran at my regular grocery store.

Oh, I didn't realize Whole Foods was expensive, thank you for the tip. I've been all over our local grocery stores looking for healthier foods and have never seen oat bran, but I'll go back and make a point to ask about it next time I'm there. Thank you so much for the suggestions :)

Oh, I didn't realize Whole Foods was expensive, thank you for the tip. I've been all over our local grocery stores looking for healthier foods and have never seen oat bran, but I'll go back and make a point to ask about it next time I'm there. Thank you so much for the suggestions :)

The oat bran will be down the baking aisle.

I had never viewed oatmeal as anything other than a breakfast cereal.. perhaps I need to change my views on this. I'm going to spend some time looking for more recipes that include oats.
I go savory with oatmeal. I cook it in stock, add fresh herbs, top with a poached egg, mix it with Swiss Chard...sometimes I treat it like potenta and add cheese and garlic. I never go "sweet" with oatmeal. But I am not a person who likes sweets. I use oatmeal as my grain with my breakfast.

I go savory with oatmeal. I cook it in stock, add fresh herbs, top with a poached egg, mix it with Swiss Chard...sometimes I treat it like potenta and add cheese and garlic. I never go "sweet" with oatmeal. But I am not a person who likes sweets. I use oatmeal as my grain with my breakfast.

This entire thread is opening my eyes to new ideas. I have the Paprika app for my iPhone and iPad.. I'm putting it to good use by adding recipes. I had no idea there were so many oatmeal recipes.

Cooked with water, butter, maple syrup, brown sugar and raisins. Served with some half and half added to bowl.

I love adding "stuff" to oatmeal too, ardchoille. Here are some of my favorites:

1) dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, cinnamon
2) dried cherries, toasted almond slices, unsweetened coconut. (sometimes I go all-out and put a dark chocolate chip or two on a few of the spoonfuls :yum: )
3) blueberries (fresh, frozen, or dried), toasted pecans, cinnamon
4) dried apricots
5) a wee-bit of dark brown sugar

I add any of the dried fruits when there is still a minute or two left, so that they can plump. I don't add the toasted nuts until I take the pan off the heat. I do toast the nuts in the same pot before I cook the oatmeal.

Another trick I learned: it's OK to use more water than the box tells you to. I always made myself a serving with the 1/2 cup oatmeal to 1 cup water method. I now use 10 oz of water, a scant 1/2 cup oatmeal, and cook it just a bit longer - roughly 1 minute per oz of water. You get more bulk with fewer calories.

I haven't tried making a savory oatmeal yet. I figure it can be done, since I often add oatmeal to meatloaf.
I only use oats to bind my meatloaf (no bread) a handful to just bind it.

Cooked with water, butter, maple syrup, brown sugar and raisins. Served with some half and half added to bowl.

I usually eat my oatmeal plain - just rolled oats and water. This morning I tried adding honey and raisins after cooking and it was delicious!

I can't buy now the item I usually prefer to make porridge with, i.e. groats! They are the whole oat - before it is rolled out. More chewy/substantial. I soaked them overnight first.

creative, although not whole kernels, have you tried looking for "steel-cut oats"? Even though they are cut into pieces, they are the entire sum of the kernel. I can even find McCann's Irish Oatmeal on this side of the pond. However, I've now found bulk steel-cut oats at a local Mediterranean market at a lower price. Good luck finding them, or another worthy substitute.

creative, although not whole kernels, have you tried looking for "steel-cut oats"? Even though they are cut into pieces, they are the entire sum of the kernel. I can even find McCann's Irish Oatmeal on this side of the pond. However, I've now found bulk steel-cut oats at a local Mediterranean market at a lower price. Good luck finding them, or another worthy substitute.

Yes, I've seen steel-cut oats at a local grocery, but have never tried them. I'll add this to my list for next month. Thanks!

Ok, looking around our local QFC today I found John McCann's Steel Cut Oats. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? It was a bit pricey, so I feel the need to ask for recommendations.

Ok, looking around our local QFC today I found John McCann's Steel Cut Oats. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? It was a bit pricey, so I feel the need to ask for recommendations.

I cook mine in my cheapo rice cooker. Just follow the proportions on the round box. I like to throw in golden raisins and some cinnamon at the same time.

I cook mine in my cheapo rice cooker. Just follow the proportions on the round box. I like to throw in golden raisins and some cinnamon at the same time.

Mmm.. Apple cinnamon oatmeal, sounds yummy! I have cinnamon on my shopping list for next month. Thank you :)

You will enjoy McCann's steel cut oats. They have a really nice chew to them.

I got mine at Costco, and almost have a lifetime supply. I think it was Princess Fiona who had the idea of cooking up a week's worth at a time in her rice cooker. I stole her idea.

I got mine at Costco, and almost have a lifetime supply. I think it was Princess Fiona who had the idea of cooking up a week's worth at a time in her rice cooker. I stole her idea.

Oh my gosh, I completely forgot about CostCo, I'll have a look there before doing any more shopping. Thank you for the recommendation, you might just have saved me some money :)

Ah pinhead oatmeal!!! That's what we call it here in UK. Didn't realise it was the whole kernel. Great! Very pleased about that. Thanks for this post.

Yes, I cook it up a week at a time. I put additions in the bottom of an airtight container, top with a serving of cooked oatmeal and stash in the fridge. Each morning I can have a different add in in no time at all with the microwave. You will need to add a tablespoon of water to help it loosen up before heating.

Yes, I cook it up a week at a time. I put additions in the bottom of an airtight container, top with a serving of cooked oatmeal and stash in the fridge. Each morning I can have a different add in in no time at all with the microwave. You will need to add a tablespoon of water to help it loosen up before heating.

Oh, I had no idea you could do that with oatmeal. I like to cook things as needed because it gets me up and provides exercise before a meal.

Back
Top Bottom