"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 05-14-2015, 08:59 AM   #21
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Both Hodgson's and Bob's Red Mill are available in stores in Montana, should be in the Seattle area, too.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Before you check out Whole Paycheck Foods, check your local grocery store. Bob's Red Mill has Oat Bran, as does Hodgson Mill. Both brands are available at grocery stores near me, although I don't know if they have the Hodgson one. I have seen Bob's Oat Bran at my regular grocery store.
Oh, I didn't realize Whole Foods was expensive, thank you for the tip. I've been all over our local grocery stores looking for healthier foods and have never seen oat bran, but I'll go back and make a point to ask about it next time I'm there. Thank you so much for the suggestions :)

Old 05-14-2015, 02:43 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
Oh, I didn't realize Whole Foods was expensive, thank you for the tip. I've been all over our local grocery stores looking for healthier foods and have never seen oat bran, but I'll go back and make a point to ask about it next time I'm there. Thank you so much for the suggestions :)
The oat bran will be down the baking aisle.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The oat bran will be down the baking aisle.
Found the oat bran at a local QFC store. Thanks! Can't wait to try this :)
Old 05-15-2015, 09:32 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardchoille View Post
I had never viewed oatmeal as anything other than a breakfast cereal.. perhaps I need to change my views on this. I'm going to spend some time looking for more recipes that include oats.
I go savory with oatmeal. I cook it in stock, add fresh herbs, top with a poached egg, mix it with Swiss Chard...sometimes I treat it like potenta and add cheese and garlic. I never go "sweet" with oatmeal. But I am not a person who likes sweets. I use oatmeal as my grain with my breakfast.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:36 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I go savory with oatmeal. I cook it in stock, add fresh herbs, top with a poached egg, mix it with Swiss Chard...sometimes I treat it like potenta and add cheese and garlic. I never go "sweet" with oatmeal. But I am not a person who likes sweets. I use oatmeal as my grain with my breakfast.
This entire thread is opening my eyes to new ideas. I have the Paprika app for my iPhone and iPad.. I'm putting it to good use by adding recipes. I had no idea there were so many oatmeal recipes.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:52 PM   #27
Master Chef

Cooked with water, butter, maple syrup, brown sugar and raisins. Served with some half and half added to bowl.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:00 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I love adding "stuff" to oatmeal too, ardchoille. Here are some of my favorites:

1) dried cranberries, toasted walnuts, cinnamon
2) dried cherries, toasted almond slices, unsweetened coconut. (sometimes I go all-out and put a dark chocolate chip or two on a few of the spoonfuls )
3) blueberries (fresh, frozen, or dried), toasted pecans, cinnamon
4) dried apricots
5) a wee-bit of dark brown sugar

I add any of the dried fruits when there is still a minute or two left, so that they can plump. I don't add the toasted nuts until I take the pan off the heat. I do toast the nuts in the same pot before I cook the oatmeal.

Another trick I learned: it's OK to use more water than the box tells you to. I always made myself a serving with the 1/2 cup oatmeal to 1 cup water method. I now use 10 oz of water, a scant 1/2 cup oatmeal, and cook it just a bit longer - roughly 1 minute per oz of water. You get more bulk with fewer calories.

I haven't tried making a savory oatmeal yet. I figure it can be done, since I often add oatmeal to meatloaf.
I only use oats to bind my meatloaf (no bread) a handful to just bind it.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:02 PM   #29
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Cooked with water, butter, maple syrup, brown sugar and raisins. Served with some half and half added to bowl.
I usually eat my oatmeal plain - just rolled oats and water. This morning I tried adding honey and raisins after cooking and it was delicious!
Old 05-16-2015, 05:41 AM   #30
Head Chef

Lightbulb

I can't buy now the item I usually prefer to make porridge with, i.e. groats! They are the whole oat - before it is rolled out. More chewy/substantial. I soaked them overnight first.

Tags
breakfast, oatmeal