Creating variety: How do you spice up your oatmeal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I cook my rolled oats in the microwave. I just cover the oats with water in a cereal bowl and slap a saucer on top - perfect every time and no pot to wash. Typically I add dried cherries and toasted walnuts along with the rolled oats and then once cooked add a dollop of plain yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Honey and dried, plump fruits, like cherries, Craisins and golden raisins.

Though I like brown sugar and...well, pretty much any kind of syrup, they don't do it for me in oatmeal. Only honey and letting it sit for a bit does the trick. :)

I cook my rolled oats in the microwave. I just cover the oats with water in a cereal bowl and slap a saucer on top - perfect every time and no pot to wash. Typically I add dried cherries and toasted walnuts along with the rolled oats and then once cooked add a dollop of plain yogurt and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Honey and dried, plump fruits, like cherries, Craisins and golden raisins.

Though I like brown sugar and...well, pretty much any kind of syrup, they don't do it for me in oatmeal. Only honey and letting it sit for a bit does the trick. :)

I do both of these. I place 1/2 cup of water into a microwaveable bowl and bring to a boil. I then add 1/4 cup rolled oats and cook an additional 1 minute, though I don't place anything on top to cover the bowl. I take the bowl out of the microwave and let set for 3 to 5 minutes.

This is where I add variety. Some mornings I add things to spice it up a bit, and other mornings I just eat it plain. I quite like adding dried fruit and a bit of honey. I've never tried syrup, though, it sounds interesting and I may try this tomorrow. I always eat my oatmeal with a piece of plain wheat toast.

Look what I happened to find today. Half an isle of it! I bought several varieties:)
EDIT: I guess uploading the image from an iPhone wasn't the best idea, it seems to have been rotated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Look what I happened to find today. Half an isle of it! I bought several varieties:)
EDIT: I guess uploading the image from an iPhone wasn't the best idea, it seems to have been rotated.

Next time turn your phone sideways. Just like you would do with a regular camera. :angel:

Nice selection there ardchoille, congrats on your find!
I fixed your pic for ya. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 153
Next time turn your phone sideways. Just like you would do with a regular camera. :angel:
Excellent advice! Don't know why I didn't think of that :ermm:

Congrats, quite the bonanza!
Indeed! While I was there I made a list of the ones I found interesting. Can't wait for next payday, I'll be stocking my kitchen :)

Nice selection there ardchoille, congrats on your find!
I fixed your pic for ya. :)
That was very nice of you, thank you :)

Last edited:
It seems I made a great choice, this stuff is excellent. I added 1/4 cup of this to 1/2 cup boiling water and cooked for 1 minute. When cooled, I added some raisins, some honey and some almond milk. It was delicious!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 163
I don't cook my rolled oats.

I like them straight with milk and whatever I have on hand to flavor them.

Banana slices are always a favorite along with a touch of sugar. ;)

I don't cook my rolled oats.

I like them straight with milk and whatever I have on hand to flavor them.

Banana slices are always a favorite along with a touch of sugar. ;)

Well that's new, I never thought of eating them uncooked. I'll have to try that. Yes, sliced banana!

And there is a nice cookie recipe on this package that I will have to try.

Last edited:
I like them as a cereal and when they're cooked it adds a thickness I prefer to avoid.

Add what you like to spice them up but if you don't cook them you'll avoid the thickness associated with it. ;)

I tried uncooked oatmeal with almond milk and honey this morning.. I like it better cooked, the thickness is part of the appeal for me.

I tried uncooked oatmeal with almond milk and honey this morning.. I like it better cooked, the thickness is part of the appeal for me.
That's similar to how bircher muesli was derived (except that the uncooked oats were soaked overnight (in water or some milk or apple juice).

Having tried granola, I think I prefer it that way (baked/toasted and crunchy) although raw muesli sounds healthier.

I decided to try a combination of raisins, dates, and walnuts.

3/4 cup water
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup raisins
1/8 cup chopped walnuts
1 chopped Medjool date (pitted)
1 tbsp honey

It was delicious! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom