Creative Hors D Oeuvres for Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about some tiny lettuce wraps? Fill small pieces of butter lettuce with the afore mentioned ceviche. Roll and tie with a strande of green onion. A second, good filling would be blue cheese, roasted salted pecans and some diced apple soaked in lime juice and drizzle with evoo.

How about some cucumber cups? Fill em with chopped smoked clams and top them with a tiny few drops of green goddess dressing.

How about some tiny lettuce wraps? Fill small pieces of butter lettuce with the afore mentioned ceviche. Roll and tie with a strande of green onion. A second, good filling would be blue cheese, roasted salted pecans and some diced apple soaked in lime juice and drizzle with evoo.

How about some cucumber cups? Fill em with chopped smoked clams and top them with a tiny few drops of green goddess dressing.
Now these all sound wonderful. We will be haing some soon. Thanks
kades:)

I love this bruschetta recipe:
BRUSCHETTA WITH ROASTED PEPPERS AND GOAT CHEESE *(Note: the recipe lists 2 cloves garlic, peeled, but doesn't indicate to halve them, which of course is essential, so the cut sides can be rubbed onto the bread!):
Bruschetta With Red Peppers And Goat's Cheese Recipe - Food.com - 3237

Here's another good one: (First I heat the tomatoes with the topping in a 350 F oven, and bake about 5 minutes until the tomatoes are just heated through. Then I turn on the broiler and broil a few minutes, until the topping is golden brown).
BLUE CHEESE BROILED TOMATOES
Blue Cheese Broiled Tomatoes Recipe - Food.com - 43913

Another delicious one:
SALMON CANAPES

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup smoked salmon, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped (I omitted this, since I didn't have any on hand)
1/2 red onion, diced
Dense mini pumpernickel rounds, squares, or quartered sandwich slices

DIRECTIONS:

1. Blend the cream cheese, salmon, and dill.
2. Spread the salmon mixture on top of each round. Arrange on a plate and top with diced onion. (I sprinkled a little freshly ground black pepper on top). Garnish with lemon wedges and fresh dill.

Serves 6

Some recipes on my to-try list:

PANKO-CRUSTED CRAB CAKE BITES WITH ROASTED PEPPER-CHIVE AIOLI (make these smaller for hors d'oeuvres)
Panko-crusted Crab Cake Bites with Roasted Pepper-Chive Aioli Recipe - MyRecipes.com

STUFFED CHA-CHA CRAB CHILIES
Stuffed Cha-Cha Crab Chilies Recipe : : Food Network

BAKED ZUCCHINI STICKS
For the love of cooking: Baked Zucchini Sticks

CUMIN-SCENTED SAMOSAS WITH MINT RAITA
Cumin-Scented Samosas with Mint Raita Recipe - MyRecipes.com

CHEESE AND SPINACH PUFF PASTRY POCKETS
Cheese and Spinach Puff Pastry Pockets Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Food Network

ORANGE CHIPOTLE-SPICED PECAN MIX
Orange Chipotle-Spiced Pecan Mix Recipe - MyRecipes.com

Thanks, Janet. Some good ideas!

Clearly insult was taken due to the tone and wording you used. Her recipe calls for caviar. Period. I tend to use red-dyed lumpfish because I like the result. If you google Taramosalat, you will find that traditionally it used carp or cod caviar, but every page simply says fish roe.

I suppose insult is taken with your "tone of the expert," when clearly you are not an expert. I'm definitely not an expert, but I do enjoy what I do and am pretty careful to be as accurate as I can be. What I do not appreciate is your "sorry to rain on my parade" type of comments. I don't have a parade. I simply have a desire to share. But I am sick to death of attitudes like yours that I have seen used with others. I am tired of seeing nice people try to share and receiving comments like yours that are so very offensive responded to them. Why not try something like, "I thought taramosalat was only used with carp caviar?" This kind of comment would lend itself to "discussion" which is the entire point of this board. While I do believe you have a good heart, you do not have to be snarky with your responses - which have the ability to be helpful and would paint you in a far better light than you often paint yourself.

~Kathleen

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Andy,
DH and I often just have a few appetizers for meals when it is just the two of us. I have a huge repertoire from my catering days, but for the two of us I like to keep it simple.

One of his favourites is butterflied jumbo prawns sauteed in butter and roasted garlic. I add a little red pepper sauce (I like the Asian variety). Simple, quick and tasty.

I have a fish cake recipe I serve with sweet chile sauce that we love as well - no huge filler in it. If you would like this recipe I will gladly post it. It is late now so I will wait until after I have had some sleep!

1. This may sound odd, but if you just want to sit with SO and snack on something that tastes great, while sipping on cold whatever, Boil and artichoke or two. To prepare, simply snip the points off of the leaves, place in boiling water that half covers the artichoke, and cook for about a half hour. Serve with drawn butter and or a good mayo. Pluck the leaves off and scrape the inside of the leaf with you teeth to remove the soft veggie flesh. Continue this until you reach the choke. Remove it and munch the heart. This is especially good if served with bruschetta, made simply by dipping a good artisan bread in olive oil and toasting on the grill. Then rub the toasted side with fresh garlic. No other toppings are needed. Cut the bruschetta into bite sized pieces and enjoy with the artichoke.

2. Make up a batch of profiteroles using this recipe:
Puff Shell Ingredients:
1 cup Sifted AP Flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tbs. sugar
1 cup milk
1/3 cup butter
4 large eggs, brought to room temperature

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Sift together the flour, salt, and sugar. Set aside.
Place the milk and butter into a heavy sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add the other ingredients all at once. Quickly stir to combine, until a smooth ball is formed that no longer sticks to the pan. Remove from the heat and let sit for about two minutes.

Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix with a wooden spoon until completely incorporated. The finished dough should be shiny and form sturdy peaks when raised with a spoon.

Using two tablespoons, scoop out a heaping tablespoon of the dough with one and place onto a greased cookie sheet by scraping the dough free with the other. Leave room for expansion. Place the cookie sheet into the hot oven and bake for ten minutes. Turn down the heat to 350 and cook for an additional 25 minutes or so. Remove and let cook, in a calm area. When completely cooled, carefully cut the tops off and remove any soft portions from the interior. Save the tops.

Fill the cooked portion with a mixture of cooked, diced potatoes and ground ground beef, or ham and cheese, or crab mixed with cream cheese and sugar, or sliced berries and complimentary pudding, or, or, or...

3. Cocktail Shrimp with a twist. Grill petite shrimp on a grill plate that leaves the shrimp open to the fire, but won't allow it to fall in. I use a grill wok that is an enameled square pan with sloping sides and lots of little holes. I think I got it at Wal-Mart. Splash on a bit of salt, cooking oil and lime juice. Serve with a good salsa.

4. Fresh Melon - skip the watermelon and go for something with a more complex flavor, such as casaba, or very ripe cantaloupe, ripe honeydew, etc. Simply cut into cubes.

5. Mini canapes made with bread squares. Ideas include tuna melts, ham and Swiss cheese, smoked salmon with cream cheese, medium rare roast beef with horseradish, pepperoni and young mozzarella, cappiacola and black olives, Smoked turkey with a dollop celery, deviled egg filling, etc. You could substitute your favorite cracker for the bread squares.

6. Crepe's filled with almost anything, then cut into rounds.

7. Mini-sticky buns. Pastry recipe - 1lb Potatoes (aprox. 3 med potatoes) Cooked and mashed. ( you can use instant potatoes if you wish too)
-Reserve 1/2 cup of liquid from boiling potatoes
-Mix: 1 1/2 C warm milk
1/2 C oil
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 TBS salt

If potato water is cool enough add 2TBS of Yeast to water and then add to previous mixture.
Add 7 1/2 C flour ( dough will be soft) and I usually mix the last cup or so into mixture by hand kneading. Let raise till double then roll out on a floured surface into a 1/8 inch thick sheet of dough. Spread a portion with melted butter, brown sugar,and cinnamon. Place pecan halves parallel to the dough edge and roll the dough around the pecan. Slice the roll from the larger sheet and cut into rounds. Place on a cookie sheet and let rise until doubled. Repeat to make as many mini sticky nuns as you want. Bake until golden and drizzle caramel sauce.

Cut the remaining dough into doughnuts and let rise completely. Transfer to 370' oil and fry until golden, flip and fry until golden. Sprinkle with your favorite doughnut topping (doughnuts from this dough come out like Crispy Kream doughnuts).

Hope you like these and that they are useful to you.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Andy,
DH and I often just have a few appetizers for meals when it is just the two of us. I have a huge repertoire from my catering days, but for the two of us I like to keep it simple.

One of his favourites is butterflied jumbo prawns sauteed in butter and roasted garlic. I add a little red pepper sauce (I like the Asian variety). Simple, quick and tasty.

I have a fish cake recipe I serve with sweet chile sauce that we love as well - no huge filler in it. If you would like this recipe I will gladly post it. It is late now so I will wait until after I have had some sleep!

Thanks, LP. I like the sauteed shrimp idea.

Update

I really have a raft of great ideas thanks to all you guys.

SO had hinted she wanted me to try the shrimp ceviche because she liked the one we had at the restaurant so that's what I did.

I used a recipe from Rick Bayless' website. I figured he'd know what he was doing. Well, I made the recipe and SO didn't care for it. Upon giving it some thought, I never should have made it unless I made an exact duplicate of the one we had last Sunday at that restaurant. She had that taste memory and wanted to duplicate it. Nothing else would have been acceptable.

I thought it was OK but not great.

Yes, that's a margarita glass.

Attachments

• DSC01033.jpg
    DSC01033.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 178
Keep us posted with a runnig "blog" of what you make, using this thread, and let us know how it turns out. That would be fun for us, and I hope, for you as well.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom