"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
Andy,

This recipe can be made ahead of time. Stored in the fridge for a few days. It can vary in taste, kind of salty or bland depending on if you use sardines or not. You don't have to. The peppers alone taste great. Everything is easily accessible. Toasted french rolls or baguettes, flavored crackers can be used. It's best if left to marinate overnight. If you wanted to using red and yellow peppers together is pretty good and colorful. Serve it at room temp on top of toasted breads.

Broiled Red Peppers:

2 broiled red peppers. Skin removed. Sliced into strips.
2 anchovies- if you want it a little salty.
1 garlic clove sliced
1/4 teaspoon of chili flakes
a small bunch of fresh flat leafed parsley chopped.
extra virgin olive oil. Just enough to drizzle over the peppers.
Salt to taste if you decide not to use anchovies.

After the peppers have been broiled and sliced add them to a bowl.
Rinse the anchovies if they have been packed in salt. If they're in oil you just need to drain it. Halve them.

Everything else is added to the bowl. Mixed and marinated in the fridge overnight. It's ready when you are.

Munky.
Thanks, Munky. We like broiled red peppers.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
Cupcake

I am supposed to be painting, but would rather talk cooking today.

Andy, how some smoked salmon with some thinly sliced red onion and capers? I think it would be really pretty. Many tea sandwiches could be fun and healthy to make: Thinly sliced pears and some blue cheese crumbles on thinly sliced walnut bread, for example.

You could make a summer fresh salsa with baked corn chips.

Yes, this is much better than painting!

~Kathleen

Old 07-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #13
Mr. Greenjeans

I'm a nut for fresh bruschetta(sp). I like it without onions as that tends to be lighter.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
I'm a nut for fresh bruschetta(sp). I like it without onions as that tends to be lighter.
We love it too, bigdaddy. It's best when the garden tomatoes and fresh basil are abundant.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #15
Mr. Greenjeans

I have both! I am waiting for the toms to turn red!!!
Old 07-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Not sure if you're looking for elegant hors d'oeuvres or if you want something to kick back with and take off the hunger pangs until the meal. IIRC, don't you have Armenian family of some sort? I think we've talked about that before, or perhaps I'm thinking of someone else. Anyway, my dh is from Turkey, but is Armenian and he likes this food blog recipe page that has Turkish meze (appetizers), but he thinks there is some Armenian influence. I have made several things using the recipes on this page (just for a change from the recipes I have from his mom) and we've enjoyed them. Just thought I'd share.

From a different perspective, one of our favorite things to do up...and you can do it ahead of time (!)... is a variety of canapés. It's kind of fun, too. You can mix up the meats, cheeses, toppings and what not. Lox, prosciutto, salamis plus a variety of cheeses or cream cheese/butter compounds, and various toppings, aïolis, pestos, etc. on various small breads, toasts, and crostini. We really enjoy these and they can be so festive.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

velochic, thanks for the link to that blog. A number of dishes look very familiar.

We're looking for light snacks that we can enjoy with a cocktail. Nothing so heavy/filling that it gets in the way of dinner. It certainly does not have to be elegant although I wouldn't object to that either.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy,
toast bothsides of your sliced baguette lightly, butter on side set aside. take 10 strawberries and slice them,put on buttered toast and sprinkle with sugar.broil til sugar begins to bubble. and carmelize.
enjoy
kades
Old 07-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Andy,
toast bothsides of your sliced baguette lightly, butter on side set aside. take 10 strawberries and slice them,put on buttered toast and sprinkle with sugar.broil til sugar begins to bubble. and carmelize.
enjoy
kades
Sounds great! Thanks, kades.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #20
Master Chef

How about strawberries or white grapes with Asti Spumanti?