Creative Hors D Oeuvres for Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
On the weekend, SO and I relax at 4:00 with a drink and sometimes a snack.

Last Sunday, we went to Ogunquit, ME for a day trip and stopped for lunch at a seafood place. We shared an appetizer of shrimp ceviche served with toasted baguette slices.

This prompted SO the charge me with the responsibility of coming up with creative and tasty light appetizers to go along with our drinks. She cited the ceviche as an example.

This weekend we'll be taking a day trip on Saturday (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f17/vermont-bbq-championship-event-65774.html) and I'll take a shot at my version of the ceviche for Sunday.

I could use some ideas for light and tasty appetizers/ hors d oeuvres for coming weeks.

Okay - I don't know how "light" this is, but it's damn tasty & I'm frequently asked to bring it to parties. Plus, it's easy to make for just a few people, as well as a crowd.

Boil up the tiniest baby potatoes you can find & halve them. Top with a tiny dollop of sour cream & a tiny dollop of caviar - the inexpensive Lumpfish variety found in any supermarket works perfectly here.

When I make these for parties, I alternate red & black caviar & arrange the potatoes on a large white platter in "checkerboard" form. Very pretty.

Feeling REALLY extravagant? Buy a couple of lobster tails, cook them up & chill them. Slice into thin medallions & top each with a dollop of garlic-laced mayonnaise & a garnish of a fresh herb leaf (I LOVE tarragon here) or - to gild the lily - some caviar (perhaps leftover from the potatoes?)

Deviled Eggs - quail eggs if you can get them - topped with fresh herbs &/or bits of seafood (diced shrimp, crabmeat).

Miniature ravioli or tortellinis, lightly boiled & then sauteed until lightly browned in butter or extra-virgin olive oil & served with a dipping sauce of choice. You can also do this with frozen dim-sum from the supermarket.

Mediterranean-marinated olives - lots of different recipes out there for those.

And of course, the always present Bruschetta. Topped with fresh chopped garden tomatoes & basil; fresh mozzarella; Canneloni beans & fresh sage - the combo list is endless & practically everything is fresh from the garden.

Yeah - probably the above wouldn't be considered exactly "light", but somehow they never get left on the plate around here even on the hottest days - lol!!

Andy, How about some melon slices wrapped with a piece of proscuitto or fresh figs slathered with a goat cheese and walnut spread?

I like asparagus and green beans that have been steamed but are still crisp, then chilled with a light vinegarette or saucy dip. Paired with other veggies, it would make a pretty platter and would be light.

I love Taramosalata and, when using red caviar, it is a very pretty dip. You would want two or three slices of crustless white bread, 4 to 6 ounces of red caviar, the juice of two lemons, a cup of really good olive oil and 1/4 cup of chopped scallions. A little parsley is often nice. Other herbs switch up the flavor. Salt and pepper to taste. Put the bread, caviar, lemon juice and scallions in a blender and pulse a few times. Then add the olive oil to emulsify it. Add salt and pepper, then blend until thick. Sprinkle a bit of chopped parsley as a garnish. I like this on pita chips, tomato or cucumber slices, and olives on the side. Plus, it is PINK! :chef:

Then there are things such as this: http://grocceni.com/pics/valentinebiteswithprawns.jpg which is nothing more than buttered bread toasted, cut into hearts, and topped with a bit of mint, a chilled shrimp, and pretty lime slice. Mmmm....and soooo romantical! (to quote GiGi in To Wong Foo Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar.)

Romantical....strawberries with a bit of chocolate. Okay, that's dessert.

~Kathleen

Andy,
I love Taramosalata and, when using red caviar, it is a very pretty dip. You would want two or three slices of crustless white bread, 4 to 6 ounces of red caviar, the juice of two lemons, a cup of really good olive oil and 1/4 cup of chopped scallions. A little parsley is often nice. Other herbs switch up the flavor. Salt and pepper to taste. Put the bread, caviar, lemon juice and scallions in a blender and pulse a few times. Then add the olive oil to emulsify it. Add salt and pepper, then blend until thick. Sprinkle a bit of chopped parsley as a garnish. I like this on pita chips, tomato or cucumber slices, and olives on the side. Plus, it is PINK! :chef:

I don't mean to rain on your parade Kathleen, but "Taramosalata" can't just be made with any old roe you feel like using. It's a specific Greek dish made with carp roe.

While your dish sounds wonderful & I've saved it to try, please do not call it "Taramosalata". That's frankly an insult to a wonderful traditional Greek dish.

I don't mean to rain on your parade Kathleen, but "Taramosalata" can't just be made with any old roe you feel like using. It's a specific Greek dish made with carp roe.

While your dish sounds wonderful & I've saved it to try, please do not call it "Taramosalata". That's frankly an insult to a wonderful traditional Greek dish.

I got the Greek recipe from my Greek friend who lives in Crete, Breezy, and, yes, it can be used with any roe, not just carp. Please do not insult my Greek friend who sent me the Greek recipe with the Greek name as I am sure that she has more Greek experience than either one of us.

~Kathleen

Kathleen - no insults were intended, but I'm absolutely sure your Greek friend would agree that traditional Taramosalata is made with carp roe. That's a fact. Period.

It's only been recently that other less expensive roes have been used to make it since Greek cuisine & restaurants have become more popular here in the U.S. Cod roe has been substituted a lot, since it's similar in color & consistency to carp roe. Natural cream to very pale pink.

But as far as "red caviar" - what exactly do you mean? Red-dyed Lumpfish roe, dyed flying fish roe, natural trout roe, salmon roe? Tons of differences here.

Kathleen - no insults were intended, but I'm absolutely sure your Greek friend would agree that traditional Taramosalata is made with carp roe. That's a fact. Period.

It's only been recently that other less expensive roes have been used to make it since Greek cuisine & restaurants have become more popular here in the U.S. Cod roe has been substituted a lot, since it's similar in color & consistency to carp roe. Natural cream to very pale pink.

But as far as "red caviar" - what exactly do you mean? Red-dyed Lumpfish roe, dyed flying fish roe, natural trout roe, salmon roe? Tons of differences here.

Clearly insult was taken due to the tone and wording you used. Her recipe calls for caviar. Period. I tend to use red-dyed lumpfish because I like the result. If you google Taramosalat, you will find that traditionally it used carp or cod caviar, but every page simply says fish roe.

I suppose insult is taken with your "tone of the expert," when clearly you are not an expert. I'm definitely not an expert, but I do enjoy what I do and am pretty careful to be as accurate as I can be. What I do not appreciate is your "sorry to rain on my parade" type of comments. I don't have a parade. I simply have a desire to share. But I am sick to death of attitudes like yours that I have seen used with others. I am tired of seeing nice people try to share and receiving comments like yours that are so very offensive responded to them. Why not try something like, "I thought taramosalat was only used with carp caviar?" This kind of comment would lend itself to "discussion" which is the entire point of this board. While I do believe you have a good heart, you do not have to be snarky with your responses - which have the ability to be helpful and would paint you in a far better light than you often paint yourself.

~Kathleen

Andy,

This recipe can be made ahead of time. Stored in the fridge for a few days. It can vary in taste, kind of salty or bland depending on if you use sardines or not. You don't have to. The peppers alone taste great. Everything is easily accessible. Toasted french rolls or baguettes, flavored crackers can be used. It's best if left to marinate overnight. If you wanted to using red and yellow peppers together is pretty good and colorful. Serve it at room temp on top of toasted breads.

Broiled Red Peppers:

2 broiled red peppers. Skin removed. Sliced into strips.
2 anchovies- if you want it a little salty.
1 garlic clove sliced
1/4 teaspoon of chili flakes
a small bunch of fresh flat leafed parsley chopped.
extra virgin olive oil. Just enough to drizzle over the peppers.
Salt to taste if you decide not to use anchovies.

After the peppers have been broiled and sliced add them to a bowl.
Rinse the anchovies if they have been packed in salt. If they're in oil you just need to drain it. Halve them.

Everything else is added to the bowl. Mixed and marinated in the fridge overnight. It's ready when you are.

Munky.

Andy, How about some melon slices wrapped with a piece of proscuitto or fresh figs slathered with a goat cheese and walnut spread?

I like asparagus and green beans that have been steamed but are still crisp, then chilled with a light vinegarette or saucy dip. Paired with other veggies, it would make a pretty platter and would be light.

Then there are things such as this: http://grocceni.com/pics/valentinebiteswithprawns.jpg which is nothing more than buttered bread toasted, cut into hearts, and topped with a bit of mint, a chilled shrimp, and pretty lime slice. Mmmm....and soooo romantical! (to quote GiGi in To Wong Foo Thanks For Everything! Julie Newmar.)

Romantical....strawberries with a bit of chocolate. Okay, that's dessert.

~Kathleen

Thanks, Kathleen, some tasty suggestions.

Andy,

This recipe can be made ahead of time. Stored in the fridge for a few days. It can vary in taste, kind of salty or bland depending on if you use sardines or not. You don't have to. The peppers alone taste great. Everything is easily accessible. Toasted french rolls or baguettes, flavored crackers can be used. It's best if left to marinate overnight. If you wanted to using red and yellow peppers together is pretty good and colorful. Serve it at room temp on top of toasted breads.

Broiled Red Peppers:

2 broiled red peppers. Skin removed. Sliced into strips.
2 anchovies- if you want it a little salty.
1 garlic clove sliced
1/4 teaspoon of chili flakes
a small bunch of fresh flat leafed parsley chopped.
extra virgin olive oil. Just enough to drizzle over the peppers.
Salt to taste if you decide not to use anchovies.

After the peppers have been broiled and sliced add them to a bowl.
Rinse the anchovies if they have been packed in salt. If they're in oil you just need to drain it. Halve them.

Everything else is added to the bowl. Mixed and marinated in the fridge overnight. It's ready when you are.

Munky.

Thanks, Munky. We like broiled red peppers.

I am supposed to be painting, but would rather talk cooking today.

Andy, how some smoked salmon with some thinly sliced red onion and capers? I think it would be really pretty. Many tea sandwiches could be fun and healthy to make: Thinly sliced pears and some blue cheese crumbles on thinly sliced walnut bread, for example.

You could make a summer fresh salsa with baked corn chips.

Yes, this is much better than painting!

~Kathleen

Not sure if you're looking for elegant hors d'oeuvres or if you want something to kick back with and take off the hunger pangs until the meal. IIRC, don't you have Armenian family of some sort? I think we've talked about that before, or perhaps I'm thinking of someone else. Anyway, my dh is from Turkey, but is Armenian and he likes this food blog recipe page that has Turkish meze (appetizers), but he thinks there is some Armenian influence. I have made several things using the recipes on this page (just for a change from the recipes I have from his mom) and we've enjoyed them. Just thought I'd share.

From a different perspective, one of our favorite things to do up...and you can do it ahead of time (!)... is a variety of canapés. It's kind of fun, too. You can mix up the meats, cheeses, toppings and what not. Lox, prosciutto, salamis plus a variety of cheeses or cream cheese/butter compounds, and various toppings, aïolis, pestos, etc. on various small breads, toasts, and crostini. We really enjoy these and they can be so festive.

velochic, thanks for the link to that blog. A number of dishes look very familiar.

We're looking for light snacks that we can enjoy with a cocktail. Nothing so heavy/filling that it gets in the way of dinner. It certainly does not have to be elegant although I wouldn't object to that either.

Andy,
toast bothsides of your sliced baguette lightly, butter on side set aside. take 10 strawberries and slice them,put on buttered toast and sprinkle with sugar.broil til sugar begins to bubble. and carmelize.
enjoy
kades

Andy,
toast bothsides of your sliced baguette lightly, butter on side set aside. take 10 strawberries and slice them,put on buttered toast and sprinkle with sugar.broil til sugar begins to bubble. and carmelize.
enjoy
kades

Sounds great! Thanks, kades.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom