"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I love lemoin flavored crepes for breakfast. Butter fold over and spread with strawberry freezer jam. or make the same crepe with OJ and zest and make into dessert.But my favorite is one with Kahula and whipped cream after dinner.
kades

Old 01-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
Wine Guy

As far as I know they're all variations on the same theme, with different countries of origin.

CrÍpes, pancakes, blini, blintzes... people often find it strange when I tell them I detest any of these types of foods. My family always had pancakes on weekends when I was kid. I remember one time having the stomach flu and getting violently ill after eating blueberry pancakes. I've never been able to enjoy them since.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
... I remember one time having the stomach flu and getting violently ill after eating blueberry pancakes. I've never been able to enjoy them since.
Who can blame you. I bet we all have had some coinsidental problem with food, like in your case and even though one had nothing to do with the other we still cannot eat or drink whatever it might have been.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

let's not forget the southern asian version, a dosa.

or the thicker uttapam.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I have only had blitzes. Popular fillings include sweet cheese, blueberry, and potato. They are usually fried in butter and served with sour cream.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
Executive Chef

There is a great little French place in Colorado Springs called La Creperie that serves wonderful savory whole wheat crepes. Actually they also serve wonderful sweet whole wheat crepes too.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
A crepe is almost paper-thin. The fillings are usuallhy placed inside, and the crepe is rolled up similar to a cigar. Blintzes have a thicker shell, and are filled, rolled up similar to a burrito, & fried in oil. The blintz can be filled with cheese (Farmer etc.), fruit (apples & raisins, cherries, blueberries, etc.).

Blintz Recipes | Old Fashioned Kitchen

Years ago, there was a chain sit-down restaurant called The Magic Pan. The crepes were made on the back of a pan or on a flat drum-like cooking surface. (It's been awhile.)

The crepes were served as an entree (filled w/ spinach, creamy chicken, seafood, etc.), or dessert (filled with fruit or ice cream & drizzled w/ chocolate, & whipped cream).

I found some of the recipes from the restaurant:

Uncle Phaedrus, Finder of Lost Recipes

While I was poking around looking for red velvet pancake recipes, I found some for red velvet crepes.

Cerise, Chuckle. Magic Pan has resurrected itself (differernt owners) and is now a fast food restaurant. After all, crepes can be made in advance and they just need to apply a requested filling on demand. Then it's off to find a seat in the food court area. I have read they are not very good either. I also remember their Pea Soup, it was a green pea and did not have ham in it like split pea. They were very affordable and it was a special treat for lunch to go there on our student budget.

Thank you all for all your words of advice. I am less confused. I should have Google Images before writing. At least now I have a better idea about these. I expect they are all good. I think Crepes are Do-able. And you can serve them folded or rolled. Additionally, I figured out that crepes are different from Swedish / or scandanavian thin pancakes which are have way more eggs in them which causes their lightness as well as thinness.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

my mom made both versions of crepes: with and without an egg. i think the basic, eggless recipe was 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk, a pinch of salt, and i think a few drops of vanilla extract.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #19
Executive Chef

We make a crepe version of manicotti. The crepes are rolled around the manicotti filling and placed seam side down in a baking dish that has a little red sauce coating the bottom, covered in more red sauce, some motz and baked.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
We make a crepe version of manicotti. The crepes are rolled around the manicotti filling and placed seam side down in a baking dish that has a little red sauce coating the bottom, covered in more red sauce, some motz and baked.
My sister does this too.