Crepes, Blintzes and Blinis + Fillings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far as I know they're all variations on the same theme, with different countries of origin.

Crêpes, pancakes, blini, blintzes... people often find it strange when I tell them I detest any of these types of foods. My family always had pancakes on weekends when I was kid. I remember one time having the stomach flu and getting violently ill after eating blueberry pancakes. I've never been able to enjoy them since.

I know the feeling! I've been put off chicken since I fell pregnant. I used to love chicken! My favourites were thighs and buffalo wings :yum:
Now I can't stand the smell, taste or texture. I can only manage chicken viennas :LOL:
Weird, it happened with all my pregnancies and lasted for about 2 years after each. Hopefully I will be able to eat chicken again soon :wacko:

;)
I know the feeling! I've been put off chicken since I fell pregnant. I used to love chicken! My favourites were thighs and buffalo wings :yum:
Now I can't stand the smell, taste or texture. I can only manage chicken viennas :LOL:
Weird, it happened with all my pregnancies and lasted for about 2 years after each. Hopefully I will be able to eat chicken again soon :wacko:

Ah, poor you. :( My wife could not smell or eat anything during her pregnancies. Every time she would walk in the kitchen she'd be running, you know where. :ohmy: Every pregnancy she lost like 20 pounds or so.

On the other hand my mom, who despises alcohol of any kind, wanted beer when she was pregnant, that was all she could drink. :LOL:

You women are fanny creatures. That is why we love you. ;)

;)

Ah, poor you. :( My wife could not smell or eat anything during her pregnancies. Every time she would walk in the kitchen she'd be running, you know where. :ohmy: Every pregnancy she lost like 20 pounds or so.

On the other hand my mom, who despises alcohol of any kind, wanted beer when she was pregnant, that was all she could drink. :LOL:

You women are fanny creatures. That is why we love you. ;)

Thanks Charlie :) Sounds like your poor wife had it bad! I'm just baffled as to why I still can't eat chicken. My second child is 5! :LOL:
Coffee made me nauseous too but I'm fine with it now. Just can't get past the chicken! Pitty since it's a cheap healthy meat :wacko:

I love lemoin flavored crepes for breakfast. Butter fold over and spread with strawberry freezer jam. or make the same crepe with OJ and zest and make into dessert.But my favorite is one with Kahula and whipped cream after dinner.
kades

That all sounds lovely :)

Cerise, Chuckle. Magic Pan has resurrected itself (differernt owners) and is now a fast food restaurant. After all, crepes can be made in advance and they just need to apply a requested filling on demand. Then it's off to find a seat in the food court area. I have read they are not very good either. I also remember their Pea Soup, it was a green pea and did not have ham in it like split pea. They were very affordable and it was a special treat for lunch to go there on our student budget.

Thank you all for all your words of advice. I am less confused. I should have Google Images before writing. At least now I have a better idea about these. I expect they are all good. I think Crepes are Do-able. And you can serve them folded or rolled. Additionally, I figured out that crepes are different from Swedish / or scandanavian thin pancakes which are have way more eggs in them which causes their lightness as well as thinness.

I miss The Magic Pan. I went to the sit-down restaurant in Beverly Hills for dinner. It was kind of romantic, dimly lit, & you could watch the chefs make the crepes - dipping the bottom of a hot skillet into the batter.

There are so many fillings & crepes you could make. Some ideas:

Chocolate crepes filled w/ strawberries, drizzled w/ chocolate, & topped w/ whipped cream.

Macerated raspberries and mascarpone.

Scrambled eggs w/ ham, and one or two (green and white) asparagus, topped w/ Mornay or Hollandaise sauce.

Crepe purses/bundles tied w/ a scallion.

The crepes can be folded in a cone shape, & toppped with ice cream.

So many ways to go.

One more ;-)

Asparagus Mimosa - blanched & chilled asparagus, drizzled w/ tarragon vinegar, topped w/ grated hard-boiled egg. Add some crab to the mix, & roll it up. Serve w/ French Onion Soup.

Have fun w/ the crepe fillings. Let your imagination be your guide. When & what time is brunch. :)

Back
Top Bottom