"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-23-2013, 12:28 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Crepes, Blintzes and Blinis + Fillings?

I donítí see any recent threads, so will start a new one.

What is the difference between a crepe and a blintz and blini.

And what are your favorite fillings, either savory or sweet.

I havenít made crepes in years and have never had a blini or blintz
Please help educate me. Thinking about lunch or brunch oneday. Soon. Thanks. Whiskas.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

i don't know about the technical differences between them, but my mom used to call them norwegian (she's a norsk) or european pancakes.

we had them for breakfast with butter and sugar, sometimes with fresh fruit added to the butter and sugar, or just whatever jams or jellies we had on hand. in the fall we used apple or pumpkin butter. for a real treat, we had nutella and bananas.

for lunch, we had more savory ones. ham and swiss, or ham and gouda, or turkey and smoked mozzarella, or turkey and pepper jack.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:59 AM   #3
Admiral of the Texas Navy

I think the main difference between crepe and blintz is the use of yeast. Blintz's use it crepe's don't.

Not sure about differences between Blintz and Blini...geography, language maybe.

Crepes are a regular feature for Sunday breakfast at our house. Most of the time they are served with a selection of jams, peanut butter, and Nutella.

Occasionally I'll make some carmelized apples or peaches. DD is especially fond of sliced strawberry and whipped cream.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:00 AM   #4
Admiral of the Texas Navy

TNT Sweet Crepe Recipe

Crepe, Sweet

INGREDIENTS
2 large eggs
1 1/3 cup milk
1 cup all*purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted, plus 2 or 3 teaspoons butter for coating the pan 2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cognac, optional
1 dash nutmeg, optional
1 dash cinnamon, optional

INSTRUCTIONS
1. Place all ingredients in mixing bowl. Using a stick blender blend together for no more than 5 to 10 seconds. Batter should be smooth. Stir down and repeat if necessary. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 to 2 hours before using..

2. Heat 10 inch crepe pan over medium heat until just smoking. Butter pan. Evenly spread 2 ounces of batter evenly over the pan and cook 1 *2 minutes until edges are lacy / crispy. Turn with silicone spatula and continue cooking.

3. Transfer to warmer and repeat process remembering to butter pan each time.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Crepe = blintz = no leavening

Blini = thicker pancake = leavening agent
Old 01-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
Master Chef

That depends on where you live. In SA and Germany pancakes are thin like Crepes in the US. We call our thicker version flapjacks (they are like American pancakes)
Blinis are small fluffy pancakes made with buckwheat flour and blintzes are thin pancakes with filling that are baked or fried.

I like my flapjacks with apricot jam and finely grated cheddar cheese, my thin pancakes with cinnamon sugar or stuffed with spinach and feta and grated mozza on top then grilled, I like blinis with slivers of cold smoked salmon and sourcream with a bit of salmon roe on top.
I also like thin pancakes filled with curried ground beef topped with bechemel and mozza and baked till golden.

I like them many ways, need a while to think!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Head Chef

A crepe is almost paper-thin. The fillings are usuallhy placed inside, and the crepe is rolled up similar to a cigar. Blintzes have a thicker shell, and are filled, rolled up similar to a burrito, & fried in oil. The blintz can be filled with cheese (Farmer etc.), fruit (apples & raisins, cherries, blueberries, etc.).

Blintz Recipes | Old Fashioned Kitchen

Years ago, there was a chain sit-down restaurant called The Magic Pan. The crepes were made on the back of a pan or on a flat drum-like cooking surface. (It's been awhile.)

The crepes were served as an entree (filled w/ spinach, creamy chicken, seafood, etc.), or dessert (filled with fruit or ice cream & drizzled w/ chocolate, & whipped cream).

I found some of the recipes from the restaurant:

Uncle Phaedrus, Finder of Lost Recipes

While I was poking around looking for red velvet pancake recipes, I found some for red velvet crepes.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #8
Head Chef

A few tips and suggestions.

If you go with crepes, they cook very quickly (in a matter of seconds). You could make them in advance, & reheat in the microwave. Let the batter rest or refrigerate, as you don't want any little bubbles. (I used to have copper cookware ((a small omlette pan I used for crepes etc.)), but got rid of it because they look old-fashioned & too hard to clean.

Serve the entree crepes (about 2 per person), with a nice salad, i.e.

Apple/Pear Walnut Spinach Salad

Apple Walnut Spinach Salad

And, your favorite wine. End with dessert crepes.

I serve blintzes warm, with sour cream.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

We have a small local chain that makes all their own baked goods and has several savory and dessert crepes on their menu. Check out the entree and dessert menus: Baker's Crust
Old 01-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Crepe = blintz = no leavening

Blini = thicker pancake = leavening agent
I think it is right.
This is how I understand. Crepes and blintzes are made to be folded into a pocket of a sort or rolled with some fillings in it. They are both somewhat thinner than a regular American style pancakes and might be bigger in diameter, though not necessary.
Blini are in fact pancakes that are thinner than a regular pancake but larger in diameter and, yes indeed made with leavening agent. They are thicker than blintzes and are not made to be folded with filling, but rather filling is served as a “side dish” so to speak that you pile up on the top, there could be many different “side dishes” served on the table and you just choose what you like.
Russians also make simple pancakes that are made with leavening agent, but they are pancakes not Blini.
A side note, I am yet to make real Russian Blini, like the ones they used to serve in Central Russia in peoples’ homes and restaurants. They are just not the same when I make them.

As far as fillings. I see crepes are served in restaurants often with some chocolate spread and/or jam/jelly. But I am not that familiar with more traditional filling for them, I am Russian after all.
Blintzes, traditionally served with cottage or farmers cheese inside and sour cream/jam/jelly on the top. Also there could be meat or potato blintzes, berries of all sorts or even fruits, like cherries for example are popular in Russia.
Blini in Russia are served very-very hot with chopped hearing, caviars, chopped hard and soft boiled eggs, chopped green onion, different smoked fish, lox is popular, melted butter, sour cream, jams, there could be meats and G-d knows what else.

P.S. Personally I think if blintzes are made thisk, and anything thicker then paper thin is thick for blintzes they are of a lesser quality. My grandma used to make about 20 of them from one egg. I can only get about 12 or 13.