Crisco Substitutions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Denver Baker

Assistant Cook
I am trying to find out what the ratio is from butter to Crisco I have a recipe that calls for 2 sticks of butter and would rather use Crisco .
Does anyone know the answer ?

Thanks in advance,
Denver Baker:)

You probably won't have a problem subbing 1 for 1.

I did see a cooking show that suggested that since butter is only about 80% fat, you should use 80% shortening and 20% water.

Crisco Substition

Hi Andy ,
Thanks for the response its chocolate chip cookies today for the troops
I believe crisco ships better.

Thanks ,
Denver Baker:chef:

1:1 works fine. You can also buy Crisco in sticks and measure it just like butter. They also make a butter flavor that is all vegetable shortening. i've never used it but it may be a nice substitute.

Attachments

• shortening_butter_stick_lrg.jpg
    shortening_butter_stick_lrg.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 156
I have the butter flavored crisco, but so far have only used it for greasing my baking pans. I'll have to try it for baking, see how it turns out. I'll be watching for news here. :)

It really depends on the recipe. I have found that using the wrong brand of butter can cause a problem due to the difference in fat content among various types of butter. Also, salted and unsalted butter can make a difference in some recipes. I usually will try substitutes depending on the ingredients. If it is a more costly or time consuming recipe, I will not chance it, or if I do not have the ingredients to start over again if it does not come out correctly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom