Crispy Duck Breast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefdanny

Assistant Cook
How do I cook duck breast so that the meat turns out pink/medium rare and the skin comes out crispy?

chefdanny said:
How do I cook duck breast so that the meat turns out pink/medium rare and the skin comes out crispy?

Score the skin into a diamond pattern, season with kosher salt and saute with the skin-side down over medium-high heat until the fat gets rendered out. Make sure that the pan and oil are hot before you add the breast or else it won't work. Also, don't move the breast around once you add it to the pan. Once the skin starts to caramelize, it will release on it's own. Once the fat is rendered out and the skin is crisp, flip the breast over and continue cooking until the desired doneness is achieved.

Perfect! Thank you IronChef - I'll be cooking it tonight and let you know how I do ;)

This method was perfect! Thank you very much - my guests loved it =)

you may also trim the skin abit
run your knife parallel to the flesh mid way through the skin
tricky and should only be done if you are well adept with your knife
then follow ironchef's procedure
the amount of rendered fat will be less so it is less like shallow frying

Of course I saved the duck fat :) I poached some Chinook salmon steaks in it over the weekend - Talk about Succulent!! Thanks for the other tips for cooking with duck fat, I'll give those a try next time.

ironchef said:
Definitely. You know what's REALLY good? Save the rendered duck fat and use it to saute rocket with garlic, pinenuts, raisins, and a little crushed red chili for heat.

oh, man! that's the ticket!

i don't have any duck fat (it's wabbit season), but i do have rendered pork fat. i'm just taking in the final bunch of my arrugula/rocket that hasn't bolted to seed. it's somewhat bitter, so the pine nuts, raisins, garlic and chilis sound like a a wonderful springboard for the last leaves. sounds italiano, huh?

thank once more, i.c. :chef:

sorry, back to the quack.

mitmondol said:
Try to bake potatoes in the duck fat. Oh my, that is something really delish!!

I made a potato galette using duck fat to fry it in to serve as a garnish with a duck duo (seared breast + confit). That was really good as well. I'll bet using it to fry hash browns or potato pancakes would be good too.

I just do what iron chef said, except no extra oil. The skin will create a pan full in no time flat. Gee, I wish I could buy duck breasts. All that is available locally is frozen whole duck, so I buy it maybe once a year. I do the breasts for me & hubby for a real fancy meal, then bake the rest and he makes me & some friends cassoulet. If I could just buy the breast we'd have it more often. And yes, I save the grease Yummmyummmy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom