Crispy fries: remove starch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john_722

Assistant Cook
Good day everyone,

I'm trying to find the best method to remove the starch from potatos for making crispy fries.
Can someone here give me some advice for this?

Thank you

Generally speaking, a good soaking in cold water will remove quite a bit of the starch. If I am planning ahead for fries, I will soak them for a couple hours in the fridge with some white vinegar added to the water.

Ok, I'll try that.

Do you happen to know why this must be cold water instead of warm water, because that's what I also read on the internet.

Thanks!

Probably so they don't turn brown.
I don't know many vegetables that do well soaking in warm water... if any.

Starch is insoluble in cold water. When placed in warm water, the starch absorbs water, swelling in size and causes the liquid to thicken.

The type of potato makes a big difference. Older potatoes turn brown quickly and do not get/stay crispy that well. New potatoes get crispy, but don't turn golden that easily. I would go with a firm potato. Blanch, and then let them fry a minute or two longer than when they look ready. And of course, covering them after they are done, creates condensation and makes them soften up, so get eating.....

Generally speaking, a good soaking in cold water will remove quite a bit of the starch. If I am planning ahead for fries, I will soak them for a couple hours in the fridge with some white vinegar added to the water.

And how should I measure the white vinegar?

To taste I guess. Just enough to give the water a vinegar flavor, which usually isn't much. Maybe a couple oz vinegar per qt of water if I was to guess.

I soak mine in ice cold water for 30 mins, drain and dry with clean dishtowel. Fry till just cooked remove for 5 mins, then put them back in the hot oil till golden and crisp.

I soak mine in ice cold water for 30 mins, drain and dry with clean dishtowel. Fry till just cooked remove for 5 mins, then put them back in the hot oil till golden and crisp.

Ok but after the 5 min of frying do you let them cool down completly?

I have posted this before, my dead uncle from Georgia Russia taught me 45yrs ago how to make Beef Stroganoff and the ultra crisp french fries that traditionally go with it.
The spud are hung in a net in a dark warm place till they have shrunk and wrinkled, the starch has then turn to sugar so when you fry them the sugars caramelize and form a golden crisp skin with a fluffy inside, the chip should snap:)
Ps if you want my uncles beef strog recipe I will post it.

I have posted this before, my dead uncle from Georgia Russia taught me 45yrs ago how to make Beef Stroganoff and the ultra crisp french fries that traditionally go with it.
The spud are hung in a net in a dark warm place till they have shrunk and wrinkled, the starch has then turn to sugar so when you fry them the sugars caramelize and form a golden crisp skin with a fluffy inside, the chip should snap:)
Ps if you want my uncles beef strog recipe I will post it.

This I'm gonna try also.
But how long approximately the potatoes should hang like that?
And you also fry them 2 times?

Also I'm very interested in the Beef Stroganoff recipe from your uncle.

This I'm gonna try also.
But how long approximately the potatoes should hang like that?
And you also fry them 2 times?

Also I'm very interested in the Beef Stroganoff recipe from your uncle.

That is interesting about hanging the potatoes. In my experience, older potatoes would result in darker fries because of the high sugar content.

Yes, you fry them two times. First you blanch them for about 4or5 minutes at a lower heat, and then let them sit in a bowl or plastic bin and finish cooking through on their own. These blanced fries will keep for quite a while. You can refrigerate them until you are ready to eat. Even overnight. Then, they are ready to fry on a higher heat to darken and get crispy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom