Crispy Hashbrowns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you using raw potatoes grated? Cooked potatoes grated? Coarse grate, rice grate?

Heck, I only ask these questions so that others can help………fresh hash browns have been kicking my butt since I started cooking 20 years ago. I still can’t do them. :angry:

Ive been using raw grated potatoes, minced onion, cooked in oil or bacon drippings. They are mushy. I dont have a ricer. I'm gonna get one though.

I bake my potatoes it help to rid of excess water and then run them through the large hole on my box grater after they have cooled. excess water is the bane of crispy fried potatoes. For fresh hash browns I blanch them in salted water for a few min. and dry on paper towles then cook on medium heat till nice and brown on one side and then turn them only turning once a bit of butter will help them brown a little quicker. You can hurry up the process by dusting with a little paprika good luck Dave

Raw grated potato and onion is right on. You cannot rice raw potato.

Grate the potato and wring as much water out of them as you can by wrapping them in a dry kitchen towel and twisting it.

my_psychosis said:
Ive been using raw grated potatoes, minced onion, cooked in oil or bacon drippings. They are mushy. I dont have a ricer. I'm gonna get one though.

Ok, that’s good info. Someone here will have advice. I’ve tried many things, and while I have been able to keep most of the “cakes” together and browned nicely, I get about 40 to 50 percent fall apart when I try this and I makes me mad enough to throw pots and order pizza!

Some things are hard to do…….and while there are many that have a good handle on it, that doesn’t make it less hard to do. IMHO, fresh hash browns are hard to do as are potato cakes. Many will say they have the simple answer, but man, they are just hard to do……for me! :LOL:

:) Raw potatoes have alot of water in them making alot harder to cook because you basically hafto cook out the water before they can crisp up so it is alot easier to par boil or bake its best to this the day or so before.When you are ready grate potatoes and put in an well oiled pan and cook away the trick is to not have a too hot pan cook about medium or a bit lower and be patient then turn and crisp up other side

I SWORE I would never try this again……but it seems the general consensus is to parboil, partially cook, or fully cook whole (to reduce moisture....big problem with raw) before grating? Do you peel it first before cooking it?

I have always (successfully) made hash browned potatoes from leftover boiled potatoes. Baked just don't have enough moisture, though they do make good home fries. The secret, I think, is a heavy (think cast iron) pan heated to the smoke point, add oil and seasoned, grated potatoes. Turn when nicely browned and and finish.

Thanks everybody. :) I'll try these and see which works for me. (repeats to self over and over I can make crispy hashbrowns. I can, I can)
P.S. you can to Auron. :)

Yup, grated raw potatoes. Then put them in cheesecloth and twist the ends... the water will pour out like crazy. I also do the same with grated onions. Use a dash of flour and an egg as a binder too along with some chives, mined garlic, salt, and pepper. Cast iron pan with 1/4" of oil around 375ºF. Add a lump to the pan and then flatten it out with the back of a spoon.

Water inhibits browning whether it's potatoes, burgers, or tofu. :pig:

of you could also just do what I do, dice the potatoes and onions and make homefries instead in a skillet :) The onion and potatoes still provide a good flavor but its allittle easier to get the crispyness you want.

Back
Top Bottom