"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-17-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Critters in my flour

I didn't know where to put this so i won't be affended if it is moved! :o)~

So, I went to make something that required flour (all purpose) a couple weekend ago and upon opening my air tight container that I keep it in, I saw little brown specks in it, all over. After looking closer at it, I saw that they were bugs!!! When I got the bag that had the extra that wouldn't fit into my container out, they were in there too!! I store it in a cool, dark, dry area and have never had this problem before though I haven't been baking/cooking as much since we moved into the new place becuase it has a terribly small kitchen and I HATE it. So I am looking to see if anyone knows what the HECK these nasty little bugs are and what I can do to prevent them from coming back the next time I buy flour.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
Master Chef

Probably little weevils - since you store your flour in airtight containers they probably did not crawl in - the eggs (too small to see) were already in your flour before you bought it, they came prepackaged from the mill, and they have hatched.

Only way to keep this from happening again is to store your flour in the freezer - doesn't kill the eggs it just keeps them from hatching.

You can just sift the little beasties out of your flour and go ahead and use it, or you can toss it and buy more flour.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Master Chef

Unfortunately sometimes bugs come with the flour from the factory, some times they come in for m of larva, some times fully developed bugs. Nasty stuff. Personaly I would dump this bag, in the future if you have room in the freezer put the whole bag into freezer for couple of days after you buy it. That will kill larva and then you will not have bugs, but if the bugs are already there there is nothing you can do. Well, of course you can return it back to the store it came from and raze big stink. I hate when this happens.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Master Chef

I guess i was typing my post when Michael already posted. But we are on the same page.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
Sous Chef

EEEEWWWW!!! Is this typical for flour?! To have bug eggs in it?! And there's no way for me to avoid this? I would be willing to pay a little more to be guaranteed not to have bugs in my flour!

I threw it all away because that was just too much for me to handle. Who knows if the did their business in there....
Old 11-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
Master Chef

It's not typical as in it happens all the time, but it can happen from time to time. Same thing with corn meal or rice or any other grain.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Next time you buy flour, freeze it for three days. Then you can take it out of the freezer and store it normally. That three day freezing guarantees no live buggies in your flour unless they get in afterwards.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Freezing it will kill the weevil eggs too? Or is it just the live ones that it will kill?

Thank you all for your help...this was pretty disgusting to discover!!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Freezing kills the eggs so they will never hatch.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
Executive Chef

It also happens with dried beans, lentils, pearl barley, etc. I've gotten moths from beans, little weevils from baking products so I freeze almost everything in that line as soon as I get it home. If you see any of these remove them completely from your house as they continue to hatch if you put them in the garbage.