"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
so if we are using a new crockpot and come across directions that say to cook at high for one hour ...should ignore bec. Of the newer tech.? Would that be the way to go or should I still do it?
I have never (in roughly 10 years of using a crockpot) come across a recipe that says cook for one hour on high then cook on low the rest of the time but obviously from other posters they are out there!

I don't know mumu, I guess if I came across a recipe I would follow what they stated but that's just me!

Old 02-24-2012, 10:20 PM   #22
Head Chef

There's a limit to how much faith you can have in small appliance instructions today. They're mostly Chinese, and those makers aren't averse to just using whatever instruction they can find, and there's certainly no assurance that the source of the instructions ever used that product or even one like it. All you can really do is understand how it was made, such as a basic crock pot being a simple device with heating elements wired into the power source through a switch, with no other controls. It's just a "fire" to cook over. In effect, the switch just moves the pot higher or lower over the fire, or moves it from the small fire to the big fire. That's all it is and all it can be. And the sort of cooking that's appropriately done with that sort of cooker is just the sort you would do in a heavy pot hanging on a tripod over a fire for hours. And the good thing is that means it's very tolerant. Of course, in order to make the pot appear more useful, the recipes with it present all sorts of dishes. But in the end, it's all -

Here fire. Here pot. Go cook.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Maybe it's just me and my odd take on food, but I think most crock pot recipes should read: "cook on low for several hours or whenever you get home."

Not amenable to deducting an hour. Several minus an hour is still several hours. It's like, how big a number is infinity plus one?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #24
Head Chef

I cook just about everything on low. Nobody has died yet. I do sear meats before they go in, as someone else mentioned.

I was interested to read that some of you cover whatever you're cooking with liquid. The instructions that came with my slow cooker say to add less than you think you should, no more than half way up.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
I have never (in roughly 10 years of using a crockpot) come across a recipe that says cook for one hour on high then cook on low the rest of the time but obviously from other posters they are out there!

I don't know mumu, I guess if I came across a recipe I would follow what they stated but that's just me!
I bought my mom a crockpot and a cookbook and a whole lotta recipes start out on high and then switch to low. Her crockpot didn't have an automatic feature to do that so they both got returned.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #26
Senior Cook

Ya know after thinking about this, I think the 'start on high, switch to low' was because the early c/p versions took a looooonnnnnggggg time to get hot, so you started on high to get it hot enough.

Really, it probably isn't necessay anymore with a good slow cooker; I have a HamBeach programmable with a temp probe, and a 3 1/2 qt. Cuisinart with 4 temp settings, so I might be doing the hi/lo thing out of habit rather than need. I'm cooking in one today, so I'll skip it and see what happens.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #27
Senior Cook

crockpot cooking

Zhizara, u said u do it manually. after u have on high do u adjust the time on low then?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #28
Senior Cook

crockpot cooking

maybe if i word it this way.....say u have a older crock pot and to cook on low they say u should start out on high for the first hour,something about safe zone of meat,then after a hour switch to low. Do you adjust any of the low time since you have cooked it at high for 1 hour already? I know the new ones (crock pots) u dont do this to. been told here.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:39 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
maybe if i word it this way.....say u have a older crock pot and to cook on low they say u should start out on high for the first hour,something about safe zone of meat,then after a hour switch to low. Do you adjust any of the low time since you have cooked it at high for 1 hour already? I know the new ones (crock pots) u dont do this to. been told here.
I doubt that you would want to adjust the time on low by much. If it is an older slow cooker, it will take it a while to get up to high, so a lot that time is actually at a lower temperature.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #30
Senior Cook

crockpot cooking

SherriDAmore...do u find your hambeach to run to hot or notice any thing different than u would with other slow cookers? some say the new ones run hot. Does yours have the spoon and it fits in the lid? Any problems with receipes?

Tags
cooking