"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
SherriDAmore...do u find your hambeach to run to hot or notice any thing different than u would with other slow cookers? some say the new ones run hot. Does yours have the spoon and it fits in the lid? Any problems with receipes?
I love love love my Ham Beach. I have this one: Hamilton Beach 33967 Set 'n Forget 6-Quart Programmable Slow Cooker: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen No, it doesn't burn hot. It is on the "best" lists of Consumer Reports, Good Housekeeping, and America's Test Kitchen. I love the probe; I can cook things to temperture, and when it's reached, shifts to warm.

I know the new Rivals run really hot - boiling everything. I also have a 3 1/2 quart Cuisinart, which is also programmable with time, but not temp, and I love that one, too.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #32
Senior Cook

crockpot cooking

SherryDAmore did u happen to try the slow cooker today without going high to low?

Old 02-26-2012, 09:37 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
SherryDAmore did u happen to try the slow cooker today without going high to low?
Yes, I did. Didn't seem to make any difference. Made a stew. Turned out great.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #34
Senior Cook

crockpot cooking

thanks all for the help and information.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #35
Senior Cook

I am glad I found this thread. I just bought a Joyoung (brand name) crock pot. I live in Taiwan and have found this brand to be pretty dependable and durable. I filled it halfway with water and found that low setting is about 125 degrees F, medium about 176 degrees and high...the water was too hot for me to measure - I was using a meat probe thermometer. It did not get up to boiling but "felt" pretty close. The low setting on my pot seems to be about 15 degrees lower than the lows posted here. Do you think it is safe to use this on low for cooking meat? or should I only use the medium setting? Medium seems to be too high for true "slow cooking". I am guessing that this crock pot is calibrate this way because Asians use them extensively to prepare soup - mostly broth type. Any suggestions?
Old 05-14-2012, 02:44 AM   #36
Executive Chef

i have used slow cookers for years & have never used anything other than the low setting.but then i never read the instruction manuals for anything!my current cooker has three settings.low,medium & automatic(starts on high then switches to low once the desired cooking temp is reached).in the instruction manual(i did read that bit out of interest) it shows the cooking times for the same ingredients which are shorter the higher the temp setting.so in my opinion the different settings have nothing to do with food safety or the type of food being cooked,merely cooking times.
i think that two more important factors apply to this and,in reality,any other cooking technique:
a) the temperature of the food to be cooked at the outset.i always cook everything(apart from fish,seafood & anything that says"best cooked from frozen")from room temperature.
b) the provenance & husbandry of meat.nowadays meat rearing standards are so high in the uk(thanks largely to our experiences with mad cow & foot & mouth diseases) that it is ok to cook good quality home raised pork pink.
unheard of even a few years ago.
but that's just me!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #37
Executive Chef

I more or less use low for long cooking times, high for short cooking times, and high then low to get it started and then go to simmer for a long time.

Tags
cooking