"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh no, don't toss it! Have a look at the DC slow cooker thread under Soups and Stews. CPs are extremely useful. I've made lasagne, soups, stews, etc. that we love. The wire ring might be worth a shot.

An oldie but goody CP cookbook is "Fix It and Forget It" by Ranck and Good, it was on sale on Amazon yesterday for like 6 bucks.

You will find that some of us are pro, some are con CPs here!

Old 12-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
Sous Chef

No, dawg is right. Don't throw it out. It could be kaput. Our old one would boil like crazy on low. We just bought a new one and when it's on low it just barely simmers. I make pulled pork in it that I have had a lot of compliments. And brisket.....don't get me started. Beef stew, goulash, chicken paprigash, jeez I could go on and on.
Check out crockpotladies.com. But I honestly think your CP is fubar'd.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I don't use mine a ton, but I wouldn't be without one.

I did a lot of research after breaking the liner of my old slow cooker. My research lead me to my current Hamilton Beach, which does cook a bit hotter than my old one, but doesn't boil my food. I read so many reviews about crock pots cooking so hot that things would just boil. Mine will simmer a bit around the edges on low.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Maybe I'm silly, but my main reason for not using a CP, is that I don't want something that gets hot operating when I'm not home. I think our pugs would agree.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Maybe I'm silly, but my main reason for not using a CP, is that I don't want something that gets hot operating when I'm not home. I think our pugs would agree.

My husband didn't want me using ours when we weren't home either. Now that I am retired and home most of the day, it's just as easy to cook in the oven rather than use the crockpot. But I have 3 of them. I would use the crockpot if the food turned out exceptionally better.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:27 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I'm not 100% comfortable with it either. When I do it, I put it on a non-combustible surface like my glass top stove.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
Executive Chef

One day last week we left the house and went to the store while I had stuffed cabbage cooking in the oven. We were gone about an hour. That's the first time we've done that.

I have heard of people putting their turkey in the oven at bedtime at 200 degrees and letting it cook while they slept. That totally scares me. Also, I don't know how well I would sleep smelling turkey cooking all night.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I will cook overnight, but won't leave the house when I have something in the crockpot or oven.

Love my crockpot, but it's best for soups, stews or pulled pork.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

For the record, it's a brand new CP i've only used 4 times. It may not be good but i'm sure it's not broken. It does VERY SLIGHTLY boil when on low but it takes hours to get to that point and like i say it's a very slight boil. Like when water just starts to boil. The first few bubbles around the edge.

I guess i will try and dry cook something and see how that goes. Just add some onions or such and maybe a few tablespoons of olive oil to conduct the heat to it and keep it from burning. I really think it's the liquid that causes it like someone told me before. (liquid draws the fats and liquids out of the meat)
Old 12-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I don't think it's defective either. Nowadays, that's how all CPs are, running hot, unlike back in the good old days.

Play around with it, good luck!

Tags
crock pot