Crock-pot issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, thanks all. But is there anything it's good for besides keeping things warm? I hate to toss it, and i gotta think it must be good for some sort of cooking use. Also, if it's because it's too hot, i wonder if you could put something like a wire ring around the edge before you put the ceramic pot in to raise it away from the heating element enough so it cooks at a lower temp.

One of the great things to use a crock pot for is for protracted serving of soup or stew. My in-laws always had a soup and a chili for the family gathering on Christmas eve. Each was put in a crock pot on low and we would self serve all afternoon/evening.

Despite the shortcomings, we used ours a lot when we both worked and wanted something like a pot roast for dinner. Put a chuck roast on low in the morning and then just cook the potatoes and veggies in the broth right before serving. It doesn't get nearly as much use now that we are not working. My two enameled cast iron Dutch ovens/pots get the job now.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks all. But is there anything it's good for besides keeping things warm? I hate to toss it, and i gotta think it must be good for some sort of cooking use. Also, if it's because it's too hot, i wonder if you could put something like a wire ring around the edge before you put the ceramic pot in to raise it away from the heating element enough so it cooks at a lower temp.
I have been known to boil small Christmas puddings in mine and I usually cook dried pulses in it and I've stewed a huge turkey drumstick in it

There are a lot of soup/stew recipes and more discussion here: Gourmet slow cooker recipes | Serious Eats : Talk : Food

Hope this helps.

We gave our giant, expensive slow cooker to our daughter. She uses it to keep towels warm.

:LOL: Here's another idea...

IMG_4919.JPG

Back
Top Bottom