"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Crock-pot issue

I bought a CP a while back and i have used it 4 times. Chicken, pork and beef, twice with pork. Every time the same thing happens no matter what i put in it...water, chicken stock, beer. Every time the meat comes out tender, but it has a grainy texture that just ruin it for me. I have heard it's the liquid drawing moisture out of the meat. But if thats true why are there so m any crock pot recipes with liquid and none w/o, or at least none i see. What am i doing wrong? I use low hear and generally go 6-8 hours depending on how much weight and how well it seems to be done.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:45 AM   #2
Cook

A guess on my part, based on what I have read and from my wife. The CP is cooking at to high a temperature. Not your fault, low temp on our CP will actually simmer to low boil the liquid which is something our previous CP did not do. So yeah, you are basically ending up with boiled meat.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
Sous Chef

I Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbobson View Post
A guess on my part, based on what I have read and from my wife. The CP is cooking at to high a temperature. Not your fault, low temp on our CP will actually simmer to low boil the liquid which is something our previous CP did not do. So yeah, you are basically ending up with boiled meat.
My old 70's CP cooked wonderful stew, roast and chicken. The newer ones cook at a higher temperature for "safety" reasons.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Welcome to crock pot cooking. This is one reason I never use one. If i want braised meats, my ceramic dutch oven will do the trick.

You are not doing anything wrong. This is the result of braising slowly any piece of meat on low heat for long periods of time.

One thing I will say as advice. Make sure you brown the meat well before you put it into your crock pot. Make sure you preheat your crock pot too! This will provide color and caramelize the meat.
While this may not help you with your particular issue, it will most definitely make it taste much, much better.

Crock pots IMO are time savers. Nothing more.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Welcome to crock pot cooking. This is one reason I never use one. If i want braised meats, my ceramic dutch oven will do the trick.

You are not doing anything wrong. This is the result of braising slowly any piece of meat on low heat for long periods of time.

One thing I will say as advice. Make sure you brown the meat well before you put it into your crock pot. Make sure you preheat your crock pot too! This will provide color and caramelize the meat.
While this may not help you with your particular issue, it will most definitely make it taste much, much better.

Crock pots IMO are time savers. Nothing more.
I agree except that crockpots aren't really time savers. I can cook anything in a dutch oven faster that in a crockpot.

In iknow's case, the crockpot is likely drying out the protein. That's what crockpots do.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbobson View Post
I've noticed this as well. I've discontinued cooking chicken in the CP completely and have adapted those dishes back to dutch oven. Chicken seems to get a really weird texture. That's ironic since I adapted them from dutch oven TO CP initially.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknow View Post
I bought a CP a while back and i have used it 4 times. Chicken, pork and beef, twice with pork. Every time the same thing happens no matter what i put in it...water, chicken stock, beer. Every time the meat comes out tender, but it has a grainy texture that just ruin it for me. I have heard it's the liquid drawing moisture out of the meat. But if thats true why are there so m any crock pot recipes with liquid and none w/o, or at least none i see. What am i doing wrong? I use low hear and generally go 6-8 hours depending on how much weight and how well it seems to be done.
I'm not a fan of cooking with the CP either, but it does do a wonderful job on my Crock Pot Kalua Pig
Because it uses no liquid I'm thinking your theory may be right.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

I'm not a fan of cooking with the CP either, but it does do a wonderful job on my Crock Pot Kalua Pig
Because it uses no liquid I'm thinking your theory may be right.
I really like a CP pork loin recipe that uses garlic slivers and a couple tsp. of soy sauce, no other liquid.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I think people like the CP because they can put their dinner on and go to work and it's done when they get home. That's not advisable with a dutch oven. I use mine to keep food hot at a party, like pulled pork.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Ok, thanks all. But is there anything it's good for besides keeping things warm? I hate to toss it, and i gotta think it must be good for some sort of cooking use. Also, if it's because it's too hot, i wonder if you could put something like a wire ring around the edge before you put the ceramic pot in to raise it away from the heating element enough so it cooks at a lower temp.

Tags
crock pot