"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Crock Pot Roast Question

Hey all I'm making a pot roast in a crock pot, and I followed a recipe, winged it a little but every time I have a lot of veggies and other items that are not submerged by liquid. In my previous efforts I've always just added more water until everything was covered. However now it's got me wondering, does everything need to be covered with liquid or will all the ingredients eventually melt down into one another over night. By the way I'm making it this evening and letting it cook on low until tomorrow evening. Either way should I go add more water until it's all covered, or just leave it be with everything still sitting on top?

Old 11-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Braising, cooking a pot roast, is done with liquid 1/2 to 3/4 of the way up the sides of the roast. The meat and the veggies give off liquid as they cook and moisture condenses on the lid and drips down onto the meat.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Actually all the liquid part of the mix covered the beef roast before I added the additional ingredients so I think we're more than good. Thanks Andy I appreciate the quick response ;)
Old 11-16-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Master Chef

After twenty-four hours, I'm afraid you're not going to have anything left but mush.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
After twenty-four hours, I'm afraid you're not going to have anything left but mush.
So you saying I should add more water? I've done this 4-5 times with the extra water, I cut the veggies really chunky, and yeah that's the general idea they are really soft, not mush but you can cut them with a spoon. It's always been good, just wondering if it'd be better without the extra water.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

i don't add any liquid when cooking a roast and veggies. in a crockpot. you will have more flavor if you don't. i just put veggies in and put the seared roast on the top. i agree with the time of cooking. in the past with all the water you have really just been boiling the meat and vegs. i do add seasoning, salt, pepper, paprika and onion and garlic powder. i don't add salt, as i am limited to a small amount a day. you can add if you like. sometimes i stick a couple bay leaves in the pot.