"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #11
Master Chef

I cook fish filets in non-stick pans all the time - using appropriate non-stick utensils, of course - & don't have any problems with either browning or deglazing the pan to make a sauce afterwards. For whatever reason, everything seems to stick to stainless steel, unless I'm using enough oil to be shallow-frying rather than just browning/sauteeing.

As far as cooking times - thin filets like sole should only take, as GotGarlic said - no more than 2-3 minutes per side on medium-high heat.

And a good fish spatula is priceless. I bought a Williams-Sonoma one on E-Bay several years ago for half it's catalog price & I LOVE it. It's long-handled steel, with an elongated perforated spatula end that's raised along one side so you can scoop up a filet without it sliding off the side.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
And a good fish spatula is priceless. I bought a Williams-Sonoma one on E-Bay several years ago for half it's catalog price & I LOVE it. It's long-handled steel, with an elongated perforated spatula end that's raised along one side so you can scoop up a filet without it sliding off the side.
Sounds like the one I have I bought it at W-S after reading about it in Cook's Illustrated. Wish I'd gotten the deal you did.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:21 PM   #13
Head Chef

I'm having a hard time understanding the "deglazing" part. Since fish doesn't carmelize the way meat and poulty does, there really isn't any fond on the bottom of the skillet to deglaze. Seems like the only thing you would end up with in this case would be pieces of fish and the flour that sticks to the pan. You can't "season" a stainless steel pan the way you would a cast iron pan. The reason for the season, is to seal the pores of the cast iron. SS pans have no pores so you will only end up pitting a bottom of the SS pan using salt. I wish I could help you but I'm not getting the part about deglazing fish.

As for the fish falling apart it may be due to the long cooking time and high heat. Fish cooks very fast and will fall apart if cooked too long. Cheap spatulas do work well, you just have to know when to turn the fish.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJHomeChef View Post
The basic recipie is you take a filet fish (Grey Sole is my favorite) and seperate it, and you let it soak in milk for a few hrs.
A few hours -- is that correct? My version of pan-fried, flour-dredged fish fillet (meuniere-style) is soaked in milk for 15 minutes only. No longer than 30 minutes. (And that's to remove any fishy smell.) I don't know if the length of soaking time has anything to do with your problem.

Also, you should pat the fish dry first before dredging in flour. Sounds like your fish is producing too much liquid/milk so the flour is not sticking. Also your heat may be too low and the flour gets too wet from the milk such that you are in effect steaming/simmering the flour and turning it gray instead of frying it golden brown.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:37 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

It would help if we had the entire recipe, including the sauce part.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:04 AM   #16
Master Chef

I agree with Chopstix - seafood, especially fish filets, shouldn't be soaked in liquid - milk, marinade, whatever - for much longer than 30 minutes. Longer than that results in flesh that is way too soft - even mushy - to hold together during virtually any form of cooking.