Crushing Herbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
If a recipe im using calls for "crushed fresh thyme" what is the best way to go about crushing it

cheers

a mortal and pestle is the best way, but if you dont have one, just hit it with a side of a chef's knife a couple of times, this is just to release esential oils and flavors.

Crushed "fresh" thyme? That's definitely a new one. Normally the term "crushed" is used with dry herbs.

What type of recipe? A roast or other long-cooking recipe might call for that.

Elaborate, please. :)

I've heard of bruising leafy herbs like sage or basil, but never something like thyme. Try stripping the leaves and mincing them like you would garlic, with the flat side of a chef's knife.

I do it in the palm of my hand. Put the herbs in there and just roll them between my fingers. I kind of use the palm of my hand and my fingers like a mortar and pestle.

You just need to do some damage to the cell walls a little to speed the release of flavors.

When it comes to fresh thyme, I just put in branches when I start cooking, then pull out the stems before serving. I agree with everyone that crushing fresh thyme seems not right. The leaves are so small. But just rub the branches between your palms and toss them in.

Back
Top Bottom