Crystallized Ginger substitutions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stargazer021

Senior Cook
I saw a recipe for white chocolate fudge with dried cherries that calls for crysallized ginger. I looked at this type of ginger and a 2oz bottle cost over $8. Has anyone used this type of ginger? If I don't use this ginger any recommendations for a substitution? :ermm:

Thanks

If you buy crystalized ginger in a glass bottle from McCormack, it will be very expensive as you found out. If you can find some in the baking department (look for a little red box) or in an Asian market it will be quite reasonably priced.

What Andy said. Also we have it in a bulk food store. It adds a great little burst of flavor.

I have it as a garnish on one of my menu items, tahitian vanillia, coconut creme brulee. The ginger plays great with it.

We get it cheap at the asia market.

My last purchase was $1.39 for 3 ounces. The brand is Roland, one of the major food distribution companies outside the USA.

We purchase ours at a Health Food Store. We have a grocery store that carries bulk and does have the ginger. There is a co-op store that carries it.
There are places that do have ginger at a reasonable price. You need to locate one in your area.

In terms of texture, you could substitute the same weight of a dried/crystallized fruit such as pineapple or papaya. They would both give a nice 'chew' and I'm sure a nice flavor, but there's no substitute I can think of for the kind of hot sparkle of crystallized ginger.

Before you buy it -- do you in general like hot/spicey and/or strong flavors? If not, substitute. If you do, go ahead and come back for some other ideas on where to use the leftovers!

Back
Top Bottom