Culinary beginning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookyourheartout

Assistant Cook
Hi Everyone!

I had posted about a while back regarding me and re-joining this forum so I can get a fresh new start. I really want to start working my way up from the ground up in the food service industry. As for as a studying perspective goes, what cooking basics should I start studying first? I want to know which part of cooking I should start studying first, as I haven't been in culinary school in a few years and I have lost a lot of the information. Where do I start studying first and which part?

Thank you,
cookyourheartout

Hi and welcome back to Discuss Cooking :)

Knife skills are essential to any kind of cooking. The Kitchn website posted a series of cooking lessons last year that includes all the basics from knife skills to veggies, meats, flavorings and baking. They describe each technique, provide videos and give recipes for each lesson. Ignore the stuff at the top of this page and scroll down to the lessons: http://www.thekitchn.com/collection/cooking-school-373

GotGarlic,

You are absolutely right. Knife skills are definitely something very important and one of the one things I should start studying and practicing. Also, thank you for the link.

Cookyourheartout

jennyema,

I did go to culinary school, but over the last few years, I feel as though I have felt unmotivated and unwilling to learn, so I have fallen behind and I forgot many of the material I learned in culinary school as well as the practical hands on material as well.

cookyourheartout

GotGarlic,

Yes I do. It is just, each chapter focuses on something different and I would not know where to start type of thing.

cookyourheartout

"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop."

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Said by the King to the White Rabbit.

GotGarlic,

So you are saying, I should read from start to finish of each textbook and practice my skills within each chapter?

cookyourheartout

Yes. If your textbook is anything like mine, there are recipes for each chapter at the ends. Practice as you go along, since they build on each other. Personally, I wouldn't bother making demi-glace again, though ;)

Welcome back to DC, cookyourheartout. :flowers: Good luck to you, you sound very motivated. That's a big part of success right there.

GG, great link! I saved it to forward on to my youngest girl.

Yes. If your textbook is anything like mine, there are recipes for each chapter at the ends. Practice as you go along, since they build on each other. Personally, I wouldn't bother making demi-glace again, though ;)

GotGarlic, thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. During each chapter, I can also learn more by researching online about the things I have learned each chapter. I will start first thing Monday morning. I want to take this weekend this relax and read my teen cooking novel.

cookyourheartout

Welcome back to DC, cookyourheartout. :flowers: Good luck to you, you sound very motivated. That's a big part of success right there.

GG, great link! I saved it to forward on to my youngest girl.

Thank you so much for welcoming me back! Yes, you are right. Motivation is the key to any success.

cookyourheartout

GotGarlic, thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it. During each chapter, I can also learn more by researching online about the things I have learned each chapter. I will start first thing Monday morning. I want to take this weekend this relax and read my teen cooking novel.

cookyourheartout

Instead, I have decided that I will start on Sunday and bring my teen cooking novels back as they will not teach me much, but my college cooking textbooks will teach me many things I need to know.

cookyourheartout

I want to thank all of you for your help, it was very much needed and I thank you for that. It is great that I can come to this site and talk to people who will be there to help me and be there for me when I am going through obstacles or need help with food and cooking.

cookyourheartout

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom