Culinary resolutions for 2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did get my freezer cleaned out, and inventoried, early in the year, and I have not bought any more of the things I'm stocked up on, even when there is a super deal on them! I also inventoried my pantry in the basement, and organized it better, in more, and smaller tubs. Now, I'm trying to think of what my resolution(s) will be for next year.

I received this beautiful new cookbook from DH for Christmas. After reading the first few chapters, and putting a sticky note on just about every other page, I've decided I want to become as comfortable with cooking Middle Eastern-style food as I am with Italian and Mexican. I can take a bunch of ingredients and a few techniques and seasonings and make something delicious without a recipe for those. In this book, though, I'm finding combinations of ingredients that I wouldn't have thought of.

So that's my culinary goal for 2019. How about you? Is there a new dish or technique or cuisine you want to explore this year? View attachment 32829
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XCFR6Q/
I did pretty well with this one. I made quite a few dishes from this book in January and February and felt comfortable enough with the flavors to wing it a few times. I love how Turkish cuisine uses familiar ingredients like tomatoes, potatoes, bell peppers and chiles in different ways with different flavors than I'm used to. I have bought big bags of sumac and za'atar and really enjoyed cooking with them.

The freezer situation is mixed [emoji38] I did get some stuff out of the kitchen freezer (bottom of the French-door fridge), so it's not as crowded, but the top freezer in the sunroom extra fridge is full of turkey and chicken stock and I have a lot of meats to use up. I'll continue to work on it next year.

My daughter moved into her own place, so We'' ve stocked her place up with crap we dont use in out pantry and doubles ( and tipples) of kitchen gadgets, wooden spoons, mugs ..... that we dont need.

I'm right there with both of you Taxi and GG. My stamina both in and out of the kitchen is really diminished. Standing for more than a few minutes just isn't in the cards anymore. I have an office chair in the kitchen that helps and scoots across the floor easily. I can sit to watch a pot on the stove and only need to stand when needed.
Thankfully, the SC does a lot of the prep work and seems to enjoy doing it.

Like Bea..."I'm over the hill and picking up speed" so my goal for the year is just being able to maintain what I already do.

I've done pretty good this year, and at least I haven't slid further down the hill. A month after posting on this thread, I came up with this and it's kept my cooking arm burn free. ;)
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f129/cooking-while-sitting-101692.html

It looks like I am in good company! I'm not only going to start making holes in my freezer, I plan on filling those holes up with empty juice bottles that have been (almost) filled with water. That way the freezer will still be "full". I also have to resist the temptation to buy something that is on sale at a real steal of a price and have it replace one of the juice bottle taking up the space! :LOL: Also need to empty my personal grocery store in the basement. I hoard shelf-staple food like we're expecting a disaster. The only disaster would be tossing that food whenif we finally get ready to move.
I didn't empty everything from the freezer and basement shelves, but I have used up quite a bit. The freezer went from only two water-filled juice bottles to seven, so now my food pickin's are a little slimmer. If I took time to re-arrange the basement shelves, I could probably eliminate the bakers rack that holds my baking supplies. Instead, it's easy to see what I have since it's all spread out instead of jam packed in place. Baby steps...

I tried to come up with a method to keep track of what was in our freezer, but like I said, both DH and I just could not keep it up. I wonder if there is a freezer that would do it automatically for us?

"George", what cuts of beef are in you? How many chicken wings do you have? Six pork chops going in. lol

Can you tell I am bored? lol

Last edited:
Yeah, I take an inventory every few months, especially of the proteins, so I know what I need to use for a while. It's really hard to keep it up, though.

I've tried twice to inventory the freezer and record activity. Didn't work out long term. Two people in and out of the freezer on a regular basis.

Clearly, the freezer is the Achille's heel foe DC members.
It does seem that way, just about everywhere! When I cleaned out Mom's freezer, when she passed away, that's when I said I had to take action. No Foodsaver there, and there were some freezer burned things in ziplocs I couldn't recognize! Nobody else handles my food, so I can stay with it - any time something goes in, or comes out, I WILL put it in the inventory book! I just have to keep at it.

This coming resolution will be cleaning up a bunch of kitchen excess. I already started this with some friends, who bought a house, and could use some of my old things, mostly larger items, that I hadn't used for many years. There are still more things like this, and I'll have to inventory that stuff, too!

This coming resolution will be cleaning up a bunch of kitchen excess. I already started this with some friends, who bought a house, and could use some of my old things, mostly larger items, that I hadn't used for many years. There are still more things like this, and I'll have to inventory that stuff, too!

I've also started this already ( past few weeks, and will carry over into next year).

My daughter moved out and has her own place, so I've been unloading any duplicates ( like wooden spoons and other stuff) that she can use.
A lot of our saved take out containers were given to her also.

In addition, there are a few gadgets or one purpose small appliances that just take up space in the kitchen. Things that are used once or twice a year. I figure, for the one or two times I use it, I can just get off my lazy butt and go downstairs and get it ( as long a I dont forget that I have it or where I put it).

I also cleaned out some of my spices, flours ( coconut, almond, soy, chickpea..) that I use infrequently and are piled on top of things I use more frequently. What I did is make a list of what I have and keep the list in the cabinet where I stored it, and actually storing the Items downstairs . This way, I know that I have it and dont run out and buy more. I also have a lot of bags of dried beans, peas, barley .... That just keep piling up.

I am also planning on donating stuff that I dont use to a food pantry .

...I also have a lot of bags of dried beans, peas, barley .... That just keep piling up.
That's something I just did a few weeks ago - I took all those jars off my shelf I keep the beans, grains, and other often used items in the kitchen, and dusted all of them (some I hadn't looked at for a while!), and put the beans into smaller jars (some were in gallon jars, but only had about a pint still), some of which I labeled "Use 1st", and 3 of them are gone already. There is actually a lot of empty space, from all of the consolidation. Those things that I don't use often, I have vac-sealed in the mason jars, which works well, to keep them from going bad, though the ones prone to rancidity are always in the freezer.

It does help a lot to inventory this stuff. I didn't actually inventory these jars, but the ones I re-fill them with, in those tubs and jars in the basement, I have inventoried. Keeps me from getting more of these types of things when going shopping, when I don't need them!

...In addition, there are a few gadgets or one purpose small appliances that just take up space in the kitchen. Things that are used once or twice a year. I figure, for the one or two times I use it, I can just get off my lazy butt and go downstairs and get it ( as long a I dont forget that I have it or where I put it)...
Make a list of the basement things, then tape it up in a cupboard or pantry where you store similar, frequently used things. Having a list bumping into your nose each time you open a door will remind you what you have and where. Just don't actually bump your nose, OK?

This is my retirement resolution as well. I want to become skilled with doughs of various sorts. I want to make biscuits and rolls, including yeast, easily. I want to actually succeed with pie crust. I want to make various flaky pastries.

Remember, cookieee, that if you live where you can have a "downstairs, you also might live where you can use the garage as your backup freezer for part of the year. ;)

Remember, cookieee, that if you live where you can have a "downstairs, you also might live where you can use the garage as your backup freezer for part of the year. ;)
Hi CG, the only thing wrong with that (well, one of the things lol) since we don't have a "downstairs" more stuff goes into the garage, (never has been the car) and we don't have room for a freezer. We are lucky there is just room for the washer and dryer. lol

She lives in South Florida ;) I wouldn't count on freezing temps in the garage. We have neither a garage nor a basement, living in a historic neighborhood built mostly without them, near a river, so we have a high water table. Basements here frequently flood during thunderstorms and nor'easters.

I know where cookieee lives, GG, and knows that she enjoys the warm temps. My "joke" is that if you have a basement, it might be because you live in a cold winter climate. It's a trade-off. Right now my garage is hosting the 6-quart stock pot full of beef barley soup, the falling snow looks lovely... and I'm thinking FL would be an OK place to be right now. [emoji38]

Back
Top Bottom