Culinary resolutions for 2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
I received this beautiful new cookbook from DH for Christmas. After reading the first few chapters, and putting a sticky note on just about every other page, I've decided I want to become as comfortable with cooking Middle Eastern-style food as I am with Italian and Mexican. I can take a bunch of ingredients and a few techniques and seasonings and make something delicious without a recipe for those. In this book, though, I'm finding combinations of ingredients that I wouldn't have thought of.

So that's my culinary goal for 2019. How about you? Is there a new dish or technique or cuisine you want to explore this year? istanbulandbeyond_cover_final.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XCFR6Q/

Last edited:
I think mine would be understanding bread doughs more and becoming a better bread maker. The ones I’ve made in the past are ok but just not over top yet. I’m still on the old school way of all by hand.

What a great New Year’s resolution, GG. Tasty, too!

I would like to learn how to laminate dough, so I can make all those lovely things that require it. Croissants, rugelach, and puff pastry dough etc. I can’t explain why I’ve never learned the technique. Perhaps it’s because I’ve heard, over and over, how difficult it is, and how unforgiving. I also equate it with desserts, of which I’m not really a fan. I realize that puff pastry has a myriad of uses that are savory, and any cook worth their weight in salt should know the technique.

So it’s time to “get off the pot” as they say, and learn to laminate dough!

I have two food related resolutions. The first is to cook the things in our freezers and pantry that I had great plans for instead of buying more, then putting off those recipes and trying to stuff more things into the freezers and pantry.

The second resolution sort of works with the first. I hope to spend/waste less time online, especially in cooking and social media websites and use that time to both get things done in the real world, and get more rest to be healthier.

So if you don't see me around much, hopefully I'm doing something useful like cooking.

Last edited:
I have two food related resolutions. The first is to cook the things in our freezers and pantry that I had great plans for instead of buying more, then putting off those recipes and trying to stuff more things into the freezers and pantry.
My thought exactly! Or almost exactly. lol

I got this idea when I had to clean out an area in my freezer just to put those logs of Christmas cookie dough into - there was very little room in there, so I began eating mainly the containers of soups, chilis, curries, and many other things I make in excess, then freeze. And when things are on sale for a steal, I buy them, foodsaver them, and I have a large number of meats, poultry, and other things, for only one person! And especially in the spring, summer, and fall, when I'm harvesting in quantities (I grow far more than I can eat!), I eat like a vegetarian, so that stuff just sits in there. And a few things from the garden get frozen, too.

I am going through my freezer one shelf and basket at a time, making an inventory of it - so far, I've done 3. Even if I see something for free...well, almost free, I won't buy it, if it is something that will go in the freezer.

To cook the recipes we have never tried in our homemade cookbook and keep trying new ones.

To cook more recipes from actual cookbooks, not relying almost solely on on-line recipes. Or at least include cookbook recipes as a resource, something I neglect to do.

Last edited:
What a great New Year’s resolution, GG. Tasty, too!

I would like to learn how to laminate dough, so I can make all those lovely things that require it. Croissants, rugelach, and puff pastry dough etc. I can’t explain why I’ve never learned the technique. Perhaps it’s because I’ve heard, over and over, how difficult it is, and how unforgiving. I also equate it with desserts, of which I’m not really a fan. I realize that puff pastry has a myriad of uses that are savory, and any cook worth their weight in salt should know the technique.

So it’s time to “get off the pot” as they say, and learn to laminate dough!

It's really not hard, just time consuming and requires a careful/gentle touch.

I am actually going to try and cook less...or, at least prepare meals that require less work..I want to use the time to fit in some exercise instead/..I only have a couple of free hours a day and one day off a week. I have a rowing machine, x country skis, and a dog that requires exercise also..I get home at 630 in the evenings and by the time I am done dinner it is 8 p.m, I haven't stopped all day, and am too tired to get into much else..I figured I'll try and eat at work more often, although naturally it is a busy time around dinner..

I want to start canning. I've always wanted to do it, but always have been afraid im going to wipe out a whole years crop of tomatoes that I grow in the garden. Im not sure why Im so afraid. There are so many things I do at work and at home that are much more complicated.

I also have a vacuum sealing bad system thingy that I got as a gift years ago, and just found it buried in my basement ( I never used it). I think that would also help when garden harvest time comes around again.

Finally, as always, I want to make sure this years garden is better than ever, and hopefully do a better job growing root crops ( carrots, beets) and cabbage related crops ( cabbage, broccoli, Brussel sprouts ..).

Work on a personal meal plan that is nutritious readily available and requires little in the way of cooking/preparation/cleanup.

I'm over the hill and picking up speed!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I want to start canning. I've always wanted to do it, but always have been afraid im going to wipe out a whole years crop of tomatoes that I grow in the garden. Im not sure why Im so afraid. There are so many things I do at work and at home that are much more complicated.

Start here: https://foodinjars.com/canning-101-archive/

I've been reading this site for a long time and have three of her books. Once you understand the science and do it a couple of times, you'll get past that fear.

Start here: https://foodinjars.com/canning-101-archive/

I've been reading this site for a long time and have three of her books. Once you understand the science and do it a couple of times, you'll get past that fear.

Thanks, Im definitely going to give it a go.
I want to practice on store bought veggies this winter, this way I can learn by trial and error on them, and be up to speed by the time the summer comes around.

I'd like for us to do a better job about using up things in the freezer, as others have mentioned, instead of going out and buying more.

Also as mentioned, I'd like to focus on easier meals, 1 pot throw in the ingredients and cook, or short prep and cook times, but I have a feeling that is just a pipe dream. :(

I'd like for us to do a better job about using up things in the freezer, as others have mentioned, instead of going out and buying more.

I need to do that, too. I especially need to use the vegetables from the garden that I froze whole last summer before I get this year's garden going :ohmy: [emoji38]

My culinary resolution is to learn to adapt to the fact that I run out of spoons really quickly. I get completely pooped out after five or ten minutes of standing. I have started sitting while prepping the food. I have to get into the habit of doing this. I have to remember hours before supper, or there just won't be time for me to keep starting and stopping the prep.

My culinary resolution is to learn to adapt to the fact that I run out of spoons really quickly. I get completely pooped out after five or ten minutes of standing. I have started sitting while prepping the food. I have to get into the habit of doing this. I have to remember hours before supper, or there just won't be time for me to keep starting and stopping the prep.
Right there with you, taxy {{{taxlady}}} I have a stool next to my prep area, so I can sit during a lot of the prep, but I'm still bouncing up and down to get things and wash my hands, etc. I need to start earlier, too.

I think DH has noticed ;) He's started asking me what I'm planning for dinner when he goes up to the attic to work out around 6 pm.

I'm right there with both of you Taxi and GG. My stamina both in and out of the kitchen is really diminished. Standing for more than a few minutes just isn't in the cards anymore. I have an office chair in the kitchen that helps and scoots across the floor easily. I can sit to watch a pot on the stove and only need to stand when needed.
Thankfully, the SC does a lot of the prep work and seems to enjoy doing it.

Like Bea..."I'm over the hill and picking up speed" so my goal for the year is just being able to maintain what I already do.

In the coming year I hope to become more knowledgeable about sous vide cooking so I can learn to use my new tool to my advantage.

I also need to attack the freezer contents more aggressively and not be so eager to refill it when I see an empty space.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom