"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Culinary resolutions for 2019

I received this beautiful new cookbook from DH for Christmas. After reading the first few chapters, and putting a sticky note on just about every other page, I've decided I want to become as comfortable with cooking Middle Eastern-style food as I am with Italian and Mexican. I can take a bunch of ingredients and a few techniques and seasonings and make something delicious without a recipe for those. In this book, though, I'm finding combinations of ingredients that I wouldn't have thought of.

So that's my culinary goal for 2019. How about you? Is there a new dish or technique or cuisine you want to explore this year? Click image for larger version

Name:	istanbulandbeyond_cover_final.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	32829
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073XCFR6Q/

Old 01-01-2019, 06:57 PM   #2
Cook

I think mine would be understanding bread doughs more and becoming a better bread maker. The ones Iíve made in the past are ok but just not over top yet. Iím still on the old school way of all by hand.

Looking for old Walther PP pistol clip/magazine #981029
Steven c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #3
Executive Chef

What a great New Year’s resolution, GG. Tasty, too!

I would like to learn how to laminate dough, so I can make all those lovely things that require it. Croissants, rugelach, and puff pastry dough etc. I can’t explain why I’ve never learned the technique. Perhaps it’s because I’ve heard, over and over, how difficult it is, and how unforgiving. I also equate it with desserts, of which I’m not really a fan. I realize that puff pastry has a myriad of uses that are savory, and any cook worth their weight in salt should know the technique.

So it’s time to “get off the pot” as they say, and learn to laminate dough!
Old 01-01-2019, 08:03 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I have two food related resolutions. The first is to cook the things in our freezers and pantry that I had great plans for instead of buying more, then putting off those recipes and trying to stuff more things into the freezers and pantry.

The second resolution sort of works with the first. I hope to spend/waste less time online, especially in cooking and social media websites and use that time to both get things done in the real world, and get more rest to be healthier.

So if you don't see me around much, hopefully I'm doing something useful like cooking.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:28 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
I have two food related resolutions. The first is to cook the things in our freezers and pantry that I had great plans for instead of buying more, then putting off those recipes and trying to stuff more things into the freezers and pantry.
My thought exactly! Or almost exactly. lol

I got this idea when I had to clean out an area in my freezer just to put those logs of Christmas cookie dough into - there was very little room in there, so I began eating mainly the containers of soups, chilis, curries, and many other things I make in excess, then freeze. And when things are on sale for a steal, I buy them, foodsaver them, and I have a large number of meats, poultry, and other things, for only one person! And especially in the spring, summer, and fall, when I'm harvesting in quantities (I grow far more than I can eat!), I eat like a vegetarian, so that stuff just sits in there. And a few things from the garden get frozen, too.

I am going through my freezer one shelf and basket at a time, making an inventory of it - so far, I've done 3. Even if I see something for free...well, almost free, I won't buy it, if it is something that will go in the freezer.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:53 AM   #6
Master Chef

To cook the recipes we have never tried in our homemade cookbook and keep trying new ones.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:00 AM   #7
Executive Chef

To cook more recipes from actual cookbooks, not relying almost solely on on-line recipes. Or at least include cookbook recipes as a resource, something I neglect to do.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:02 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
What a great New Yearís resolution, GG. Tasty, too!

I would like to learn how to laminate dough, so I can make all those lovely things that require it. Croissants, rugelach, and puff pastry dough etc. I canít explain why Iíve never learned the technique. Perhaps itís because Iíve heard, over and over, how difficult it is, and how unforgiving. I also equate it with desserts, of which Iím not really a fan. I realize that puff pastry has a myriad of uses that are savory, and any cook worth their weight in salt should know the technique.

So itís time to ďget off the potĒ as they say, and learn to laminate dough!
It's really not hard, just time consuming and requires a careful/gentle touch.
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:20 AM   #9
Master Chef

I am actually going to try and cook less...or, at least prepare meals that require less work..I want to use the time to fit in some exercise instead/..I only have a couple of free hours a day and one day off a week. I have a rowing machine, x country skis, and a dog that requires exercise also..I get home at 630 in the evenings and by the time I am done dinner it is 8 p.m, I haven't stopped all day, and am too tired to get into much else..I figured I'll try and eat at work more often, although naturally it is a busy time around dinner..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:14 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I want to start canning. I've always wanted to do it, but always have been afraid im going to wipe out a whole years crop of tomatoes that I grow in the garden. Im not sure why Im so afraid. There are so many things I do at work and at home that are much more complicated.

I also have a vacuum sealing bad system thingy that I got as a gift years ago, and just found it buried in my basement ( I never used it). I think that would also help when garden harvest time comes around again.

Finally, as always, I want to make sure this years garden is better than ever, and hopefully do a better job growing root crops ( carrots, beets) and cabbage related crops ( cabbage, broccoli, Brussel sprouts ..).

larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote