"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 09:50 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
Welcome!
Your post is another example of someone asking for advice from strangers with varying levels of experience related to food safety.
Risky business.
The fact that the meat has/is going through various temperature cycles is a big concern.
If it was me I'd discard the meat at this point. I know that may be a tough nut but that's what I'd do. I wouldn't get into the whole thing again until I have secured a proper aging/curing facility.
I know that people have been curing/hanging meats forever. We don't hear about the ones who killed themselves of others much but it's probably happening somewhere right now.
If you have such a low opinion of folks here at DC, why are you here? I have noticed that most of the folks here only reply if they have experience on the subject in question. In charcuterie, food safety is top priority. Answering a question, with knowledge gained from practicing the advice of experts, is not "Risky business". Accurate information was passed on to the OP. They decided to take it or leave it on their own.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:32 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
If you have such a low opinion of folks here at DC, why are you here? I have noticed that most of the folks here only reply if they have experience on the subject in question. In charcuterie, food safety is top priority. Answering a question, with knowledge gained from practicing the advice of experts, is not "Risky business". Accurate information was passed on to the OP. They decided to take it or leave it on their own.
So now I have a "low opinion of folks at DC"? What's got your panties in a knot?
I gave an honest opinion. I do not think it's a good idea to ask for advice on food safety from strangers. Nor is it a good idea to give advice to someone you have no idea about. Are they going to understand the advice? Are they going to misread and do the opposite? Are they ten years old and have extremely limited experience? Are they senile?
I'm sure you would agree that you have read 'advice' offered on DC which is factually incorrect given with the best of intentions.
And yes. The whole food safety subject is "risky" in the extreme.
I do not 'assume' the advice I'm getting from all members of DC are all 'experts'. Some may presume to be though.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:15 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffin3 View Post
So now I have a "low opinion of folks at DC"? What's got your panties in a knot?
I gave an honest opinion. I do not think it's a good idea to ask for advice on food safety from strangers. Nor is it a good idea to give advice to someone you have no idea about. Are they going to understand the advice? Are they going to misread and do the opposite? Are they ten years old and have extremely limited experience? Are they senile?
I'm sure you would agree that you have read 'advice' offered on DC which is factually incorrect given with the best of intentions.
And yes. The whole food safety subject is "risky" in the extreme.
I do not 'assume' the advice I'm getting from all members of DC are all 'experts'. Some may presume to be though.
This is pretty much the case of any of the web forums I frequent. I am regular at several golf forums and a couple of photography forums, and while there is a lot of good, factual information on all of them, there is also a lot of opinion. The best comment you can make about opinions is the old saw "Everyone has one!". You really have to still take the responsibility yourself when you ask a question and the answers you receive run the gamut from the logical to the ridiculous. In that case, you either take the bit you like with a few grains of salt, or look elsewhere for a more informed suggestion.

I've seen some really bad advice offered on forums, and like Puffin says, when it involves food safety for something like curing meat, taking the cautious approach is well advised.

To be honest, I don't really understand why the OP is doing it in the first place. A leg of lamb is one of my favorite meats. It's such a wonderful cut for roasting - and around here quite expensive - that I would never risk ruining it with an untested process.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:57 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Thanks for your post.
Food safety isn't like asking a stranger on a web forum how long to cook pasta.
"HAND'S UP! How many of you have ingested something and then you ended up in the EXPENSIVE hospital getting your stomach pumped and then needing to take 30 days of EXPENSIVE medication?"
I don't ask strangers on my Ferrari forum their opinion on whether I should attempt to do my own tune up. "I've been tuning my Dino for years!". Ya right.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #35
Master Chef

Site Administrator

And since we can't play nice with each other I will just close the thread.

Closed Thread

Tags
meat