Curry Powder Quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sosocook

Assistant Cook
Good morning, I joined just a few minutes ago. Cooked for decades, but far from gourmet.

I am having trouble finding a good curry powder for my curried soups. My health-food store no longer carries what I used to buy (in bulk, so I don't have a name) and what I have found in grocery stores and even Indian groceries seems to be hotter/sharper, yet somehow less flavorful. If I increase the quantity to get a richer flavor, the soup is then too hot. Does anyone have a suggestion for me? It is unlikely that I would buy the ingredients and grind my own spices.

Welcome to DC. This may sound weird. I have found that some curry powders benefit greatly from adding salt. I have cooked more than one curry that tasted flavorless until I added a good bit of salt.

Take a look at Penzeys for quality spices.

Penzey's has a sweet curry and a hot curry...sweet does not mean sugar sweet, but not hot.

Good morning, I joined just a few minutes ago. Cooked for decades, but far from gourmet.

I am having trouble finding a good curry powder for my curried soups. My health-food store no longer carries what I used to buy (in bulk, so I don't have a name) and what I have found in grocery stores and even Indian groceries seems to be hotter/sharper, yet somehow less flavorful. If I increase the quantity to get a richer flavor, the soup is then too hot. Does anyone have a suggestion for me? It is unlikely that I would buy the ingredients and grind my own spices.
I usually mix my own according to the recipe I'm using but Sharwoods is a good old name in "Indian" ingredients and condiments, also Pataks curry pastes. Rajah brand seems very popular where I used to live (a town with a big Asian population). There is also Spices of India (mail order) but haven't used them so couldn't comment. Korma and passanda have hardly any "hot" spice in the mix.

Plenty of recipes for powders on the 'net if you want to experiment and make your own. Madhur Jaffrey's is particularly good, takes little effort and you can fiddle about with the ingredients if the recipe as given isn't to your taste. Only make a small quantity at a timeas spices lose a lot of their flavour when stored for any length of time in non-airtight containers.

Have you discussed what you want with the proprietor in the Indian grocers? Not all Asians like their food to lift their heads off and you'll be getting advice straight from the horse's mouth.

Last edited:
I like to make curries from scratch, so I don't usually use pre-packaged blends. But since you specifically mention you likely wouldn't go that route, then I think Patak's jarred pastes are a decent alternative. My only complaint is that they all have kind of a "sameness" to them.

Other than a few dry garam masala blends, I have yet to find a generic "curry powder" that suits my taste. They also tend to lose flavor very quickly in the cupboard. Since the spices in jarred pastes are blended with oil and refrigerated after opening, the unused portion seems to stay fresher tasting.

Last edited:
I like to make curries from scratch, so I don't usually use pre-packaged blends. But since you specifically mention you likely wouldn't go that route, then I think Patak's jarred pastes are a decent alternative. My only complaint is that they all have kind of a "sameness" to them.

Other than a few dry garam masala blends, I have yet to find a generic "curry powder" that suits my taste. They also tend to lose flavor very quickly in the cupboard. Since the spices in jarred pastes are blended with oil and refrigerated after opening, the unused portion seems to stay fresher tasting.
+1

I don't know if Penzey's ships to Ottawa.

I use Spice Islands Curry Powder, which I buy in one of the local supermarkets. It has a great taste, and is not too spicy/hot. Although I like Penzeys for many spices, I prefer Spice Islands for curry powder, cumin powder, and chili powder.
Curry Powder, Seasoning Mixes, Spice Islands
Curry-Powder_COB_Shadow.png

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will get back to let you know if my dishes have improved.

No help here. I use homemade curry powders. I trade eggs for curry powder that a friend makes.

TL--I get stuff shipped to the UPS store in Ogdensburg. I imagine there is a UPS store close to the VT QUE border where you could have stuff shipped and not pay the International shipping fee.

No help here. I use homemade curry powders. I trade eggs for curry powder that a friend makes.

TL--I get stuff shipped to the UPS store in Ogdensburg. I imagine there is a UPS store close to the VT QUE border where you could have stuff shipped and not pay the International shipping fee.
There isn't much I can't find a lot closer. I don't really use much curry powder. If I'm making Indian food, I don't use curry powder. I have made up some curry powder with no fenugreek that I use in Danish recipes that call for curry powder. :rolleyes: If I think fenugreek would add a nice touch, I grind some up and add it right before using it.

Back
Top Bottom