"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Date Bar?

Some 30 years ago, my wife, now ex-wife made a wonderful dessert/snack that I think was called a "Date Bar".

It was thin, had a granola* type bottom and top. With what I think was a Date filling. The granola* type mixture was pressed onto the bottom like you would do with a pie crust.
Then the Date mixture or whatever it was, was layered on top and then another layer of the granola* type mixture finished off the top.

It was baked and served at room temperature. I remember it being a very good desert/snack, but have no idea whats its actually called and how its made?

Does anyone recognize this treat? And if so, can you give me more information as I would like to make it.

TIA..............John

* Reminds me of granola, but may not be anything like granola. the texture was the same.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

My mom made date bars. I've made them too. Let me dig out my recipe and I'll post it for you. They are pretty easy to make!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Thanks Chef. I remember them being so good.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Here you go!

Date Bars

Old 10-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Some 30 years ago, my wife, now ex-wife made a wonderful dessert/snack that I think was called a "Date Bar".
Some 30 years ago, actually only 20 or so in our case, before getting kicked to the curb, DxW and I sat down with a pot of coffee and re-copied recipes from our collection so we would each have our own set when we moved to separate households. Lot of good this is. I went in search of the very kind of date bars you are looking for today. Can't find the Recipe Box. Well, it's someplace. Called DxW to ask her to scan and email a copy or read it over the phone. She's having a "car" kind of day and seemed a wee bit harried, so I thought better of it.

Bake Chef's recipe looks / sounds/ reads like I remember, and if it was his mom's, it's probably from about the same time frame. We should all go to church more often. Bake sales especially. You might find them there.

2 things. I thought I remembered there were nuts in with the dates. Maybe not. Always buy whole dates, you can find them already pitted, and do not get already cut up ones. The pre chopped dates are really dry, and don't cook up as well. I like my date filling a little chunky, so I stopped cooking the filling before it gets too smooth.

And yes, the bottom crust and topping do resemble granola. If you wear a dab of patchouli and sandals when serving no one will know the difference.

I copied BC 's recipe too. I guess I can't have enough "back ups".
Old 10-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I've had pretty good luck with the chopped ones. I've used both. The whole would probably be more moist as you said. I prefer a smoother jam though!

Old 10-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I just read the recipe as I copied it a few minutes ago. The chopped dates I bought were in a cardoard Box, with no inner liner. maybe 12 oz? packed in about the size of a movie theater box of whoppers. Same Brand as whole dates. I thought, well, here's a times savings. Maybe if these were better packaged or were fresh, they would have been better. As I recall they were in with the Dried Fruits and Organics, not in the baking aisle. Well, the dried apricots were good, why not the dates. Amateurs like me...
Old 10-21-2013, 10:40 PM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

They have the Medjool dates at Costco right now...I'll be regular until New Year's...I mean a regular purchaser...
Old 10-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #10
Senior Cook

One of our family's favourite desserts as a child!

I had one left in the house just yesterday, saw it in a bakeshop and couldn't resist buying this large square of yumminess ($3, 1.5 inches high by 3 inches square). Just went to take a pic of it for you - gone! (have a cookie-monster hubby in house).

I like to add a bit of scraped orange peel to the dates, and nuts into the crumb mixture.
My recipe: (for an 8x8 inch pan)
the crumble
1-1/2 cups oats
1/2 to 1 cup brown sugar (or sugar sub but ....)
1/4 butter (or more, if you're not restricted) or coconut oil to act as 'glue'
Sliced almonds, and/or chopped pecans- your choice. Sometimes I add seeds too, pumpkin or sunflower, and/or sesame.
Mix together with spoon or fingers, pat 1/2 on bottom of square pan, save remainder for topping.
the filling (mix in pot)
2 cups dry dates
one orange rind, grated into dates
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar or substitute (not really needed)
a bit of water, if mixture gets too thick while cooking.
Boil on med-low until soft, stirring frequently.
Spread softened date filling atop bottom crust. Sprinkle remaining crumbs on top, pat down lightly (these tend to scatter once cut).
Bake in moderate oven for 30 mins, or more....until crust looks nicely browned.