"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-27-2015, 02:33 PM   #41
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Same here, but it's just turned into another food bashing thread, a more and more common theme here on DC.

If you don't care for a particular food or cuisine, that's your business, but why does everyone seem to enjoy shouting it to the rafters and ruining it for those who do? I just don't find anything "inspiring" about that kind of behavior at all.
On the other hand, I find it curious how some people with a particular fondness for a cuisine seem to be personally insulted when other opinions are the opposite. Something to think about, no?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #42
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
On the other hand, I find it curious how some people with a particular fondness for a cuisine seem to be personally insulted when other opinions are the opposite. Something to think about, no?
No. Sorry. I'm not going to waste any of my time thinking about it at all.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:25 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Back to DC inspirations. Sometimes just a picture will be my inspiration, like this one for msmofet's Chicken or Turkey Confetti soup:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...89381419,d.eXY

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

This is a good thread. Yesterday I mentioned how I was inspired by MsMofet's Confetti Soup.

Today's inspiration was to make some.

My version uses ingredients I have on hand and doesn't actually follow MsMofet's recipe, but it looks the same as hers and will taste wonderful.

Inspiration can come in many forms. A picture like MsMofet's; a comment made by a membe; or even an ingredient in someone's recipe that inspires you.

I often will run across an ingredient that I haven't tried yet, but have wanted to, or an ingredient that has fallen out of my current line up of meals.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Ha! And I thought I was the only one who didn't like curry!

I find DC to be inspirational, and enjoy tweaking recipes. And now I want me some potato salad with HB eggs.
I can't eat "hot" curries. I have problems with chillies. But I do like a good korma or pasanda which have no chilli bite at all. I like dhansak as well which is slightly spicy but further than that I cannot do.

Apart from the allergic reaction, anything with chili in it only tastes of chilli to me and it kills anything else in there. I wish I could eat and enjoy it.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Why? Who is?

If I say you couldn't pay me to eat something, that is my opinion and I don't expect anyone else to share it and, likewise, I wouldn't expect you to like something I love.

If someone feels they are "personally insulted" because they are disagreed with over something as trivial in the scheme of things as food choices, I suggest they may need to grow up and get a life. There are more important things to get insulted about. Mind you, I do know two people (not on here) who didn't speak to each other for 3 weeks because they couldn't agree on whether a scone with jam and cream should have the cream or the jam put on the scone first !!! (It's a Cornwall/Devon difference of opinion).

What I would take exception to is certain persons being obnoxious to other people just for the sake of it, as has happened over the last couple of days.

I thought we were here to have fun, learn a bit and enjoy ourselves, not to have childish squabbles. This forum is called "Discuss Cooking" not "Quarrel about Cooking"!
Old 03-29-2015, 04:53 PM   #47
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Why? Who is?

. Mind you, I do know two people (not on here) who didn't speak to each other for 3 weeks because they couldn't agree on whether a scone with jam and cream should have the cream or the jam put on the scone first !!! (It's a Cornwall/Devon difference of opinion).
"!
We spent a week in Corwall, and it was explained to me that one puts the jam on the bottom and one puts on the top. I cannot remember which was which, though.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:00 PM   #48
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
... you, I do know two people (not on here) who didn't speak to each other for 3 weeks because they couldn't agree on whether a scone with jam and cream should have the cream or the jam put on the scone first !!!...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
We spent a week in Corwall, and it was explained to me that one puts the jam on the bottom and one puts on the top. I cannot remember which was which, though.
I once made my younger daughter cry because I made her cheese sandwich incorrectly. You must place the slice of cheese onto the slice of bread then fold the combination in half. NEVER EVER fold the cheese slice in half before placing it on the bread! I learned my lesson.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:58 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I once made my younger daughter cry because I made her cheese sandwich incorrectly. You must place the slice of cheese onto the slice of bread then fold the combination in half. NEVER EVER fold the cheese slice in half before placing it on the bread! I learned my lesson.
Oh how well I know that. My granddaughter was almost four years old. I started the peel on a banana for her. Evidently I pulled the peel down to far. She wanted to do it herself. She threw a tizzy fit like you wouldn't believe. Threw herself on the floor screaming and crying about how I ruined her banana. I ended up eating that one and gave her another for her to peel herself. Went through that for learning to tie her shoes, pour milk, cut her meat, dress herself, you name it, she wanted to do it for herself. She wasn't a baby anymore. What a horrible month that was.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:46 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
No, I can't remember either.