'DC' Daily Inspirations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same here, but it's just turned into another food bashing thread, a more and more common theme here on DC. :ermm:

If you don't care for a particular food or cuisine, that's your business, but why does everyone seem to enjoy shouting it to the rafters and ruining it for those who do? I just don't find anything "inspiring" about that kind of behavior at all.

On the other hand, I find it curious how some people with a particular fondness for a cuisine seem to be personally insulted when other opinions are the opposite. Something to think about, no?

On the other hand, I find it curious how some people with a particular fondness for a cuisine seem to be personally insulted when other opinions are the opposite. Something to think about, no?

No. Sorry. I'm not going to waste any of my time thinking about it at all. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
This is a good thread. Yesterday I mentioned how I was inspired by MsMofet's Confetti Soup.

Today's inspiration was to make some.

My version uses ingredients I have on hand and doesn't actually follow MsMofet's recipe, but it looks the same as hers and will taste wonderful.

Inspiration can come in many forms. A picture like MsMofet's; a comment made by a membe; or even an ingredient in someone's recipe that inspires you.

I often will run across an ingredient that I haven't tried yet, but have wanted to, or an ingredient that has fallen out of my current line up of meals.

Ha! And I thought I was the only one who didn't like curry!

I find DC to be inspirational, and enjoy tweaking recipes. And now I want me some potato salad with HB eggs.
I can't eat "hot" curries. I have problems with chillies. But I do like a good korma or pasanda which have no chilli bite at all. I like dhansak as well which is slightly spicy but further than that I cannot do.

Apart from the allergic reaction, anything with chili in it only tastes of chilli to me and it kills anything else in there. I wish I could eat and enjoy it.

Why? Who is?

If I say you couldn't pay me to eat something, that is my opinion and I don't expect anyone else to share it and, likewise, I wouldn't expect you to like something I love.

If someone feels they are "personally insulted" because they are disagreed with over something as trivial in the scheme of things as food choices, I suggest they may need to grow up and get a life. There are more important things to get insulted about. Mind you, I do know two people (not on here) who didn't speak to each other for 3 weeks because they couldn't agree on whether a scone with jam and cream should have the cream or the jam put on the scone first :huh:!!! (It's a Cornwall/Devon difference of opinion:yum:).

What I would take exception to is certain persons being obnoxious to other people just for the sake of it, as has happened over the last couple of days.

I thought we were here to have fun, learn a bit and enjoy ourselves, not to have childish squabbles. This forum is called "Discuss Cooking" not "Quarrel about Cooking"!

Last edited:
Why? Who is?

. Mind you, I do know two people (not on here) who didn't speak to each other for 3 weeks because they couldn't agree on whether a scone with jam and cream should have the cream or the jam put on the scone first :huh:!!! (It's a Cornwall/Devon difference of opinion:yum:).
"!
We spent a week in Corwall, and it was explained to me that one puts the jam on the bottom and one puts on the top. I cannot remember which was which, though.:question:

... you, I do know two people (not on here) who didn't speak to each other for 3 weeks because they couldn't agree on whether a scone with jam and cream should have the cream or the jam put on the scone first :huh:!!!...

We spent a week in Corwall, and it was explained to me that one puts the jam on the bottom and one puts on the top. I cannot remember which was which, though.:question:

I once made my younger daughter cry because I made her cheese sandwich incorrectly. You must place the slice of cheese onto the slice of bread then fold the combination in half. NEVER EVER fold the cheese slice in half before placing it on the bread! I learned my lesson.

I once made my younger daughter cry because I made her cheese sandwich incorrectly. You must place the slice of cheese onto the slice of bread then fold the combination in half. NEVER EVER fold the cheese slice in half before placing it on the bread! I learned my lesson.

Oh how well I know that. My granddaughter was almost four years old. I started the peel on a banana for her. Evidently I pulled the peel down to far. She wanted to do it herself. She threw a tizzy fit like you wouldn't believe. Threw herself on the floor screaming and crying about how I ruined her banana. I ended up eating that one and gave her another for her to peel herself. Went through that for learning to tie her shoes, pour milk, cut her meat, dress herself, you name it, she wanted to do it for herself. She wasn't a baby anymore. What a horrible month that was. :angel:

It's official now..I don't like Indian food. I sampled lots of it today and although I was gracious and said it was nice, it wasn't. :rolleyes:
At least now I know for sure. ;)

For me, one of the problems with quite a bit of Indian food is that it is essentially chunks of meat floating in variously curry flavoured gloop.

I know that is probably a very unfair and untrue statement but it is just the impression I get sometimes.

I don't know if this is an impression I get from Indian restaurants as when I cook Indian, Balti etc at home there does seem to be more variety.

Last edited:
My closest grocery store of any kind is 20 miles away. The closest specialty grocery (Whole Foods) is 120 miles away. I make do. ;)

I buy what looks good on the day I'm shopping for the pantry, then modify my menu as needed. Don't have many options. Although I'm in farm country, it's mostly wheat and cattle. We can get good beef, but not really any farm fresh produce even in season.

Wait a couple more weeks and pickings will be good around Brighton.

I get inspiration from all the posts and tweak recipes for removing the Carbohydrate and subbing in an appropriate vegetable, usually zucchini it's fairly bland and picks up flavors.

Really? It's snowing right now. And Brighton is still almost 2 hours away. ;)

There's farmer stands all around and it beats going in to Denver. Front Range weather can change in minutes, let alone weeks. Of course, I haven't been around there for a number of years, maybe it's changed. But there were melon and vegetable stands all over.:)

There's farmer stands all around and it beats going in to Denver. Front Range weather can change in minutes, let alone weeks. Of course, I haven't been around there for a number of years, maybe it's changed. But there were melon and vegetable stands all over.:)

There is no way any produce is going to be marketable for months here. This is not the tropics. Most crops can barely be planted yet, if that. Native deciduous trees aren't even budding yet - they know better. Melons won't be in any stands until late July or August (even winter wheat isn't harvested until mid July, and it was planted last fall). That's when Rocky Ford cantaloupes start showing in the local grocery stores, and Rocky Ford is in the warmer, southeastern part of the state.

There is no way any produce is going to be marketable for months here. This is not the tropics. Most crops can barely be planted yet, if that. Native deciduous trees aren't even budding yet - they know better. Melons won't be in any stands until late July or August (even winter wheat isn't harvested until mid July, and it was planted last fall). That's when Rocky Ford cantaloupes start showing in the local grocery stores, and Rocky Ford is in the warmer, southeastern part of the state.

They must have closed all the hot houses they had around the eastern part of the state. We were always able to start finding fresh produce at the beginning of April, Shrek and I used to head out of the city and follow the back roads to the farm stands. Likely it is no longer true, my Uncle and his family have had to sell out their farms in the past 10-15 years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom