"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #51
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
It's official now..I don't like Indian food. I sampled lots of it today and although I was gracious and said it was nice, it wasn't.
At least now I know for sure.

For me, one of the problems with quite a bit of Indian food is that it is essentially chunks of meat floating in variously curry flavoured gloop.

I know that is probably a very unfair and untrue statement but it is just the impression I get sometimes.

I don't know if this is an impression I get from Indian restaurants as when I cook Indian, Balti etc at home there does seem to be more variety.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:35 AM   #52
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
No. Sorry. I'm not going to waste any of my time thinking about it at all.
Just wasting your time posting about it right? LOL

Old 04-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #53
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
My closest grocery store of any kind is 20 miles away. The closest specialty grocery (Whole Foods) is 120 miles away. I make do.

I buy what looks good on the day I'm shopping for the pantry, then modify my menu as needed. Don't have many options. Although I'm in farm country, it's mostly wheat and cattle. We can get good beef, but not really any farm fresh produce even in season.
Wait a couple more weeks and pickings will be good around Brighton.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:58 PM   #54
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I get inspiration from all the posts and tweak recipes for removing the Carbohydrate and subbing in an appropriate vegetable, usually zucchini it's fairly bland and picks up flavors.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:30 PM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Wait a couple more weeks and pickings will be good around Brighton.
Really? It's snowing right now. And Brighton is still almost 2 hours away.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:09 AM   #56
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Really? It's snowing right now. And Brighton is still almost 2 hours away.
There's farmer stands all around and it beats going in to Denver. Front Range weather can change in minutes, let alone weeks. Of course, I haven't been around there for a number of years, maybe it's changed. But there were melon and vegetable stands all over.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:31 AM   #57
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
There's farmer stands all around and it beats going in to Denver. Front Range weather can change in minutes, let alone weeks. Of course, I haven't been around there for a number of years, maybe it's changed. But there were melon and vegetable stands all over.
There is no way any produce is going to be marketable for months here. This is not the tropics. Most crops can barely be planted yet, if that. Native deciduous trees aren't even budding yet - they know better. Melons won't be in any stands until late July or August (even winter wheat isn't harvested until mid July, and it was planted last fall). That's when Rocky Ford cantaloupes start showing in the local grocery stores, and Rocky Ford is in the warmer, southeastern part of the state.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #58
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
There is no way any produce is going to be marketable for months here. This is not the tropics. Most crops can barely be planted yet, if that. Native deciduous trees aren't even budding yet - they know better. Melons won't be in any stands until late July or August (even winter wheat isn't harvested until mid July, and it was planted last fall). That's when Rocky Ford cantaloupes start showing in the local grocery stores, and Rocky Ford is in the warmer, southeastern part of the state.
They must have closed all the hot houses they had around the eastern part of the state. We were always able to start finding fresh produce at the beginning of April, Shrek and I used to head out of the city and follow the back roads to the farm stands. Likely it is no longer true, my Uncle and his family have had to sell out their farms in the past 10-15 years.