'DC' Daily Inspirations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So glad I'm not alone with the curry thing.
Now I know for sure I don't like "Indian curry" dishes but from the way I understand it, Asian curry isn't the same. As another example of learning lots here, I bought a recommended jar of "Thai Green Curry Simmer Sauce" from Trader Joe's. In my interest of keeping an open mind, I'll be using it soon, and I don't need to buy a bunch of spices I may never use again. I'm not sure what is the spice in Indian Curry dishes that make me not like it but it's sure not for me!

So glad I'm not alone with the curry thing.
Now I know for sure I don't like "Indian curry" dishes but from the way I understand it, Asian curry isn't the same. As another example of learning lots here, I bought a recommended jar of "Thai Green Curry Simmer Sauce" from Trader Joe's. In my interest of keeping an open mind, I'll be using it soon, and I don't need to buy a bunch of spices I may never use again.
Makes perfect sense.
I'm not sure what is the spice in Indian Curry dishes that make me not like it but it's sure not for me!
We should try to find you an easy Indian curry with only spices you like and already have to see if that's the problem.

I can't stand commercial curry powder. The smell of stale fenugreek makes me nauseous.

There are so many spices and dishes from different countries so I suppose it's working out which one doesn't work for you , but they don't all use the same spices depending on where the recipe is from . Cooking with fresh spices from scratch can make for a really light and fragrant dish too , but obviously it's not everyone's thing :)

Yay! I'm not alone! I don't like curry either!!!
Well, I love it. So much so that several years ago I bought a book called "50 Curry Recipes" and every Monday night, for the better part of the year, my wife and I would enjoy a different recipe from the book. They were all different. It was an interesting experiment and, although every recipe wasn't a success, we enjoyed our "Curry Night" for the most part.

I find it odd that someone can say "I hate curry" after trying only one dish in one restaurant. It would be like saying "I hate Italian food" after having spaghetti once. :rolleyes:

Indian food isn't all curry and other countries have curries too ......:)

Just for an example (Thanks to Savory Spice Shop):

Cambodian Lemongrass Curry

Ingredients:
Mild green chile powder, lemongrass, shallots, salt, garlic, onion, Lampong peppercorns, galangal root, ginger, makrut lime leaves, red Thai chilies and citric acid

Madras Curry

Ingredients:
Coriander, cumin, black pepper, regular yellow mustard, turmeric, ginger and curry leaves

Red Thai Curry:

Ingredients:
Spanish paprika, lemon grass, salt, shallots, galangal, cumin, coriander, Chinese red pepper, red Thai chiles, Lampong peppercorns, cilantro, garlic, makrut lime leaves, California basil and spearmint

Southern Spanish Pinchito Spice

Ingredients:
Salt, cumin, Spanish paprika, Greek oregano, coriander, garlic, caraway, turmeric, ginger, fenugreek, anise, cayenne, Saigon cinnamon, black pepper, Turkish bay leaves, yellow mustard powder, mace, cardamom and saffron

To make a blanket statement that you don't like curry is probably because you haven't really tried everything that's out there. Savory Spice Shop has 30 different blends, so one can experiment for quite some time before concluding that there is nothing appealing about any of them.

Well, I love it. So much so that several years ago I bought a book called "50 Curry Recipes" and every Monday night, for the better part of the year, my wife and I would enjoy a different recipe from the book. They were all different. It was an interesting experiment and, although every recipe wasn't a success, we enjoyed our "Curry Night" for the most part.

I find it odd that someone can say "I hate curry" after trying only one dish in one restaurant. It would be like saying "I hate Italian food" after having spaghetti once. :rolleyes:

If you had read carefully you would see I never once said the word hate, and I tried several dishes in that restaurant yesterday, in addition to having tried several examples of Indian Curries in the UK. If you find that odd, I don't know what to say. Now if we're talking about brussel sprouts I'll use the word hate.

If I gained a pound for every "food" thought I had, I'd be in 500# of trouble right now. :whistling

DC does inspire me to cook outside my comfort zone sometimes. It has me trying things I've never heard about before. After a post of CWS's I thought I would try methi, the young greens from the fenugreek plant. No luck today at the Mediterranean market, but I'll keep looking.

I do find, though, that like you puffin3, reading a post gets me busy making something that it got me thinking about, even if it's a stretch from the original food. In the end, if it turns out right and you enjoy it, it's all good.

This! :) I'm continuously inspired by posts here. The daily meal thread is what I go to first, and I often find myself thinking 'I haven't had that in a while', or 'hmmm...that reminds me of (fill in the blank)....I should make that again...'

Speaking of curry....I don't have anything to add, as I'm pretty much a curry virgin. :ermm::LOL: We have a new Indian restaurant here in my small town that I intend to try real soon, though. :)

If you had read carefully you would see I never once said the word hate, and I tried several dishes in that restaurant yesterday, in addition to having tried several examples of Indian Curries in the UK. If you find that odd, I don't know what to say. Now if we're talking about brussel sprouts I'll use the word hate.

Ok. Fair enough. I'm glad you at least tried several dishes. One of our favorite Indian dishes isn't a curry at all, but a rice dish called Biryani. It comes in all varieties - chicken, lamb, and I've even had one made from pork with hard boiled eggs. There's a nice yogurt sauce that can be spooned over the top of it.

The reason I mention that one is because it's what our daughter always used to order when we'd go out, because she didn't care for "the spice" as she called it.

I suppose you have to kiss a lot of frogs try a lot of different curries to decide what works for you. For ages I would declare "I hate Mexican foods" and leave it at that. Later, to keep peace in the family, I started to OK the idea of a local place that was authentic enough. Started with something very un-Mexican (a spinach, mushroom and tomato Quesadilla) that had more Mexican style sides in the seasoned rice and beans. Gradually worked myself up to more adventurous (ie, spicy heat) foods. Now I always have a couple of jalapeno peppers in the veggie drawer "just in case". On the other hand, I still can't make friends with cumin. Don't like it, it doesn't like me. I'm probably not a good candidate for most curries.

I've kissed a lot of Indian frogs (don't tell DH), and I really have not found a curry I like. I do have some of the Trader Joe's green curry in the fridge, but to be honest, I just didn't care for it, and by now it's probably well past it's expiration date.

Now, Mexican food, that's speaking my language! (Actually, my Spanish is Spanglish, no menudo for moi!)

Last edited:
I thought this thread is about Inspiration. We've got 3 Curry threads running simultaneous, well each has its own subject.

I just posted this on a different topic, ( I apologize for duplicate posts).

Andy's cake didn't turn out. So I said I said "Cake is not usually in my forte'. But I can put together a terrific trifle and perhaps even sub cake bites in a tiramisu instead of using crispy lady fingers.

I added tiramisu purely as an afterthought. Now that I think about it, A tiramisu trifle put together sounds pretty good. I just learned to make mascarpone custard recent. It's really easy if you don't over cook it, and would make a great filling. Or even fill in the cake crevices.

I havent had a curry for a while but after all these posts I'm a bit sick of it now :)

Yes I do get inspiration from cooking forums and ideas, its great when someone mentions a dish and you think, oh havent had that for a while........

My biggest inspiration on this particular site was finding Got Garlics recipe for Pulled Pork, its pretty much the only one I use although perhaps I should branch out but I like it.

:ohmy: I can't get past the smell. Every time I get a whiff of it, I immediately start to gag and heave. I have never tasted it, and I doubt I ever will. It would take more than a clothespin on my nose to get me to taste it. Just sitting here thinking about the smell, almost has me gagging right now.

My first husband loved it and anytime he would make some for himself, it was time for me to go out for the day. He involved my two boys when he would make it and they learned to love it also. We had certain rules. He could only make it when the weather permitted all the windows open. He had to let me know the day ahead so I could make plans of where I was going. And he had to take care of the kids. Today, my two boys would love me to make it for them. Guess what the chance of that happening is. But I am going to buy one of Madhur Jaffrey's books for Spike. He can make it in his own home and give some to The Pirate. :angel:

When the British ruled India it was inevitable that Indian food would find it's way to Britain. Hence, even today the British taste for Indian food.
In the USA this first immigrants were pretty much all N. Europeans with no experience eating any food but their own hence the lack of interest, generally speaking, in Indian food.
I don't care for any Indian food and I have given it a fair try over the years.

I thought this thread is about Inspiration.
Same here, but it's just turned into another food bashing thread, a more and more common theme here on DC. :ermm:

If you don't care for a particular food or cuisine, that's your business, but why does everyone seem to enjoy shouting it to the rafters and ruining it for those who do? I just don't find anything "inspiring" about that kind of behavior at all.

I get inspiration to make stuff I already know and inspiration to try new things. Stirling has remarked that my cooking was always good, but it's really improving since I joined DC.

Ok. Fair enough. I'm glad you at least tried several dishes. One of our favorite Indian dishes isn't a curry at all, but a rice dish called Biryani. It comes in all varieties - chicken, lamb, and I've even had one made from pork with hard boiled eggs. There's a nice yogurt sauce that can be spooned over the top of it.

The reason I mention that one is because it's what our daughter always used to order when we'd go out, because she didn't care for "the spice" as she called it.

Thanks for the suggestion Steve. Biryani is something I will order if I'm invited for Indian food again. My real pleasure was sharing a rare and quiet "one on one" lunch with my son. The food was really not important. ;)

Back
Top Bottom