'DC' Daily Inspirations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffin3

Senior Cook
Just curious. Do you read posts on 'DC' and think "That sounds delicious. I haven't made that for a while. I'm going to make that for dinner tonight"?
It happens to me quite often.
For instance I was just reading about egg salad and my taste buds perked up and I decided to make a potato salad tonight.

Just curious. Do you read posts on 'DC' and think "That sounds delicious. I haven't made that for a while. I'm going to make that for dinner tonight"?
For instance I was just reading about egg salad and my taste buds perked up and I decided to make a potato salad tonight.

So you read about egg salad and instead of, "That sounds delicious. I haven't made that for a while. I'm going to make that for dinner tonight", you decided:

'That sounds delicious. I haven't made that for a while. I'm going to make something else instead.'

Seriously, I think that often. I get ideas from the dinner thread and use them in menu planning.

I do cruise the daily menu for ideas, but, honestly, food is about always on my mind, in some form. From growing, harvesting, prepping and cooking. I do use the Internet (Googling) quite a bit too, entering my specific ingredients I need to use up. But the humor (^) keeps me coming back here.

All the talk about curry recently has inspired me. I have little experience eating it although I tried some Indian influenced dishes in the UK, the flavors didn't do much for me. Today my son has invited me to lunch and he suggested a restaurant in his town that he loves called the Curry Leaf and the reviews are good. I've been going over the menu online trying to get an idea what I should order. This should be interesting.

I enjoy reading the daily menu thread but, like Beth, food is on my mind in some form or fashion both consciously and unconsciously. I may not that day make what others are preparing/having, but the posts cause me to think about future meals. I've been pulled out of the "same-old, same-old" rut many times because of that.

So you read about egg salad and instead of, "That sounds delicious. I haven't made that for a while. I'm going to make that for dinner tonight", you decided:

'That sounds delicious. I haven't made that for a while. I'm going to make something else instead.'

Seriously, I think that often. I get ideas from the dinner thread and use them in menu planning.
It's not much of a leap from egg salad to potato salad IMO. Just some cubed potatoes. LOL

This post did! I had left over cooked potatoes from last night in the 'fridge and eggs in the bowl and your post made me want egg and potato salad.......I've just finished it and it was yum.

All the talk about curry recently has inspired me. I have little experience eating it although I tried some Indian influenced dishes in the UK, the flavors didn't do much for me. Today my son has invited me to lunch and he suggested a restaurant in his town that he loves called the Curry Leaf and the reviews are good. I've been going over the menu online trying to get an idea what I should order. This should be interesting.

It's official now..I don't like Indian food. I sampled lots of it today and although I was gracious and said it was nice, it wasn't. :rolleyes:
At least now I know for sure. ;)

I've been known to put eggs in potato salad.:rolleyes:

Some of the best potato salads have egg in them. My mom's always had bits & slices of hard boiled egg in it.

I only wish I had gotten my mom's potato salad before she passed in 2008. It was my hubby's favorite and she always made it for him when we visited. I've come close, but not quite there.

I get so many ideas from you guys here! Makes me so glad that I joined.

Like many of you, I have food on my mind often. Always look forward to shopping for fresh produce and meats at Sprouts.

Mind you, I don't care much for regular shopping (and I'm descended from a long line of shopaholics) but love to go to Sprouts.

They just opened one down the street today and it is the closest grocery store to us!!! The other 3 are a tad bit down the street from that. The other close Sprouts was about 15 minutes away which is tolerable for good produce.

I probably have at least a month of ideas thanks to everyone here on DC.

I think I can identify with Puffin3's thinking. I bet it was how much Mayo to use. Or else he knows my (late) MIL. She put a Lot of eggs in her potato salad!

I think my regular day to day menus are pretty repetitious and my imagination often needs a jump start. It is indeed one of the reasons I like to come here-- for the inspiration, what to make, what to make that is different from what I usually do, what to serve alongside and when possible, how to transform whatever it was into a somewhat different leftover. My "to-try" /make someday list is growing pretty long as is my copied and pasted recipes folder.

Using a potato salad analogy, if someone says they are making Salad Nicoise, I may think, that is a beautiful salad except it makes so much or one can make a smaller salad, and have a lot of various containers in the frig. Aha, I can make potato salad with haricot verts with a provincial vinaigrette, and if I add some crumbled Roquefort, it is suddenly more French than the original. And no leftovers. Actually, this comes from an old Bon Appetit magazine, and I have not made in a long times. I Should do so, it was pretty good.

JR once announced he invented Mexican Lasagna ( layered and stacked tortillas.). The internet is riddled with stacked tortilla recipes, stacked enchiladas, etc. To his credit, this was before Google while sitting around the dining room table when he was at age 9 or 10. We make this as does he sometimes. I think he did think of this as his own idea.

Last edited:
If I gained a pound for every "food" thought I had, I'd be in 500# of trouble right now. :whistling

DC does inspire me to cook outside my comfort zone sometimes. It has me trying things I've never heard about before. After a post of CWS's I thought I would try methi, the young greens from the fenugreek plant. No luck today at the Mediterranean market, but I'll keep looking.

I do find, though, that like you puffin3, reading a post gets me busy making something that it got me thinking about, even if it's a stretch from the original food. In the end, if it turns out right and you enjoy it, it's all good.

It's official now..I don't like Indian food. I sampled lots of it today and although I was gracious and said it was nice, it wasn't. :rolleyes:
At least now I know for sure. ;)

Ha! And I thought I was the only one who didn't like curry!

I find DC to be inspirational, and enjoy tweaking recipes. And now I want me some potato salad with HB eggs.

Last edited:
On my computer I have 2 specific files for food ( recipes) ( actually 3 )
1) Untried recipes
2) Tried and Liked recipes
3) Pictures of food/ presentations

If Im reading through the Forum and see something I want to try, I will copy it into Untried recipe folder. From that, I will then make it at some point. Sometimes that day. Sometimes after I do a shop so I have everything in the house.

After I make it, If it was worth making again, it gets moved to my tried and liked recipe. could be the recipe itself, or if it was from a website, it just may be a link to that site. Although, sometimes websites disappear, and if it is just a link, the recipe could be lost forever. So Im more likely to either make a hard copy, or a digital copy of the recipe.

The third file is strictly pictures of food preparations. Maybe something I liked visually, that would look good at a dinner party, or to impress the guests.

So the short simple answer is, yes, when I see something I like, I will often make it, but not necessarily that day.

larry

Oh, if i don't like it, it gets flushed.

I made potato salad last night with chopped hard boiled eggs. Delicious!
Recently I used Japanese mayo instead of the regular.
Now the JM is the only choice for me. The result was tastier and had a smoother texture.
Steamed skin-on Yukon Gold potatoes cubed after steaming then cooled
homemade grainy mustard
sugar
S&P
hard boiled eggs
green hamburger relish
Japanese mayo
chopped sweet 'Yum Yum' pickles
dried dill

I get so many ideas from you guys here! Makes me so glad that I joined.

Like many of you, I have food on my mind often. Always look forward to shopping for fresh produce and meats at Sprouts.

Mind you, I don't care much for regular shopping (and I'm descended from a long line of shopaholics) but love to go to Sprouts.

They just opened one down the street today and it is the closest grocery store to us!!! The other 3 are a tad bit down the street from that. The other close Sprouts was about 15 minutes away which is tolerable for good produce.

I probably have at least a month of ideas thanks to everyone here on DC.

My closest grocery store of any kind is 20 miles away. The closest specialty grocery (Whole Foods) is 120 miles away. I make do. ;)

I buy what looks good on the day I'm shopping for the pantry, then modify my menu as needed. Don't have many options. Although I'm in farm country, it's mostly wheat and cattle. We can get good beef, but not really any farm fresh produce even in season.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom