Decent pancake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoGreyhounds

Assistant Cook
Anyone have a good recipe for pancake mix from scratch? I just can't seem to get mine right. They mostly cook too much on the outside and not enough on the inside (no matter how low on the heat I go), or taste funny. I'm sick of throwing out botched mixes.

What do you guys do?

How can I resist. I am truly known far and wide for my pancake recipe. There us another on this board who is known for his pancakes and I'm sure that he will soon see your request and give you his recipe as well. Both are excellent recipes.

Goodweed's Pancakes
Dry Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose or whole wheat flour
2 1/2 tsp. double acting baking powder
2 tbs. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt.

Wet ingredients:
2/4 cup milk
1 extra large egg
3 tbs. cooking oil.

Preheat your griddle until water just dances accross the cooking surface.
Combine all he dry ingredients together with a balloon whisk. In a large, separate bowl, whisk together the egg and oil until smooth. Add the milk and whisk. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the milk/oil/egg mixture. Whisk until everything is just wet. There should still be little lumps in the batter. These tell you that you haven't overmixed the batter.

Lightly butter the griddle surface. Place three tbs. of batter per pancake onto the griddle and cook until bubbles begin to form and pop on top. Flip carefully and cook for another minute and a half. Flip onto plates, top with your favorite topping and eat immediately.

These pancakes are as light and fluffy as a cloud, and are super moist and tender. You have to experience them. My favorite way to serve them is with maple syrup (the real thing if possible), and a good sage-flavored breakfast sausage. Yum.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Your crepes, though tasty, are different from pancakes. While crepes are very thin and typically wrapped or folded with a filling, pancakes are thicker and served flat in a stack with syrup, typically maple.

Two different and delicious foods.

I appreciate what you said, but in England, pancakes are also commonly known as crepes. Like Shrove Tuesday is also named "Pancake Day" by the heathen lot.

I appreciate what you said, but in England, pancakes are also commonly known as crepes. Like Shrove Tuesday is also named "Pancake Day" by the heathen lot.
It looks like a crepe recipe to me.

Whenever I make pancakes I do like da ole folk do. I just whoop'em up from scratch no recipe and I've had no problems yet............

I appreciate what you said, but in England, pancakes are also commonly known as crepes...

So you call American style pancakes 'crepes' and French style crepes 'crepes'. How does anyone know which one you are talking about?

Andy, I guess that is kind of like in certain areas of this country where they all any type of soda a Coke. By you and me if you order a Coke you get a Coke-a-Cola, but other places if you order a Coke you then need to let them know what kind of soda you really want ;)

Do they have a separate dish that is like our pancakes in the UK Linux?

Yes, Bigdaddy, I would recognise such dish to be of the savoury type. Crepes (as I prefer to call them because I spent a lot of my early years in Provencial France) are thin, lace-like, whereas the thicker ones we in the UK do not see very often.

[/QUOTE]I know they have them in Aussie (Not UK but used to be) but they prefer them to be a savory dish rather than sweet.[/QUOTE]

Bigdaddy, my tummy says it like to try a couple of your fine savoury pancake recipes.

So you call American style pancakes 'crepes' and French style crepes 'crepes'. How does anyone know which one you are talking about?

No, I wasn't contradicting the OP. I was merely stating that in the UK, pancakes are usually recognised as being like French crepes. The American pancake I am now informed is completely different. So, aye, one learns something new every day.

Bon Appetite, Monsieur. :)

Anyone have a good recipe for pancake mix from scratch? I just can't seem to get mine right. They mostly cook too much on the outside and not enough on the inside (no matter how low on the heat I go), or taste funny. I'm sick of throwing out botched mixes.

What do you guys do?

I buy the pancake mix, add a few eggs and some vanilla. The Vanilla is
a key to great tasting pancakes.

Frank 2022

GREAT PANCAKE RECIPE

1 1/2 cups quick rolled oats
2 1/2 cups milk
3 eggs
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup flour
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp. pure vanilla

Mix oats and milk, set aside for 5 minutes.
Mix in rest of ingredients and stir well with a whisk.

I usually make ahead and put in fridge overnight. Stir and add a bit more milk to make consistency of a fairly thick pudding.

I cook them on a grill at 360-370 F. lightly brushed with some butter. Or you may use a non stick fry pan lightly coated with butter between batches. Just do NOT let the butter burn from having your heat too high.

Maple/Yogurt Sauce

1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt

Combine syrup and yogurt and serve over cooked pancakes.

Any leftovers are good spread with peanut butter and covered with sliced bananas....yum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom