Deep Fat Frying Temperatures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I shoot for 360F, but have dropped the food in at 375, too. That's with peanut oil.

I don't do much deep frying, but that is partly because I don't have a good way to keep the temperature constant. Do you guys have electric deep fryers? Do you know a good way to keep the temperature fairly consistent on an electric stove?

I don't do much deep frying, but that is partly because I don't have a good way to keep the temperature constant. Do you guys have electric deep fryers? Do you know a good way to keep the temperature fairly consistent on an electric stove?
We have a Delonghi 4 litre fryer, but I prefer to use one or two of our 4 quart cast iron Dutch ovens on the large burners of our electric stovetop with about 1 1/2 litres in each Dutch oven. The cleanup is easier with the Dutch ovens. Needless to say we have several 'candy' thermometers. Maintaining the temperature is just a matter of using the proper anticipation when pushing heat level buttons. It's a lot easier than cooking on a coal or wood burning stove. Also, frying in smaller batches and preheating the fryer baskets helps avoiding some of the heat drop problems.

+1 on easier cleanup. That's one of the reasons I got rid of my electric fryer.

I use one of these,Taxy Amazon.com: 3-Piece Stove-Top Deep Fryer: Kitchen & Dining
I have a gas stove, so can't help you with your electric stove, but when I add the food I turn the heat up to help compensate for temperature drop. I would imagine it's the same for electric.
Hmm, that looks handy. It's sort of the same for electric, but much slower, both getting hotter and cooling off. A thermostat would be very handy. Back in 1959, my parents bought a house with a built in gas stove top and oven. That gas stove top had one burner with a thermostat, so it's not exactly something new, but I never see that nowadays.

We have a Delonghi 4 litre fryer, but I prefer to use one or two of our 4 quart cast iron Dutch ovens on the large burners of our electric stovetop with about 1 1/2 litres in each Dutch oven. The cleanup is easier with the Dutch ovens. Needless to say we have several 'candy' thermometers. Maintaining the temperature is just a matter of using the proper anticipation when pushing heat level buttons. It's a lot easier than cooking on a coal or wood burning stove. Also, frying in smaller batches and preheating the fryer baskets helps avoiding some of the heat drop problems.
How well do your deep fry thermometers attach to the Dutch ovens? Mine attaches fine to my SS pots, but the cast iron is thick enough that I can't aim the end of the thermometer not to touch the side of the pot.

Thank you becasue I am looking for something.

It's a quality piece, Savannah. And thick enough to help hold the heat.
And I'll bet large enough to hold all three of those butts you just smoked when shredded :LOL:

Yes, Andy, the lid is SS and mesh. I cut an extra notch in mine to accept my candy thermometer sticking out, but that's more for storage.

...I can't aim the end of the thermometer not to touch the side of the pot.

You just need to adjust your aim. :LOL: Sorry could not help my self.

Attachments

• A-Gun.jpg
    A-Gun.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 190
Hmm, that looks handy. It's sort of the same for electric, but much slower, both getting hotter and cooling off. A thermostat would be very handy. Back in 1959, my parents bought a house with a built in gas stove top and oven. That gas stove top had one burner with a thermostat, so it's not exactly something new, but I never see that nowadays.

I remember my parents stove having one of those "burner brains" way back when.

How well do your deep fry thermometers attach to the Dutch ovens? Mine attaches fine to my SS pots, but the cast iron is thick enough that I can't aim the end of the thermometer not to touch the side of the pot.
Deja vu alligator clip & jury rigging?
We use both dial type long thin metal probe and glass tube thermometers and find them easist to use on pots that have nearly vertical sides.

Attachments

• 5978_candy_fry.jpg
    5978_candy_fry.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 181
  • Taylor.jpg
    Taylor.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Deja vu alligator clip & jury rigging?
We use both dial type long thin metal probe and glass tube thermometers and find them easist to use on pots that have nearly vertical sides.
I hadn't considered one of those glass thermometers. That looks like it should work even if the thermometer is touching the side of the pot, the bulb at the bottom doesn't. Great idea, thank you.

Another question: when you are using litres of oil, what do you do with the used oil? Do you re-use it? Do you filter it? How do you store it? When it's all used up, how do you get rid of it?

I don't strain and leave my oil right in the fryer, but I've been meaning to change that.
I usually only fry breaded foods towards the end of the oil's life cycle. I'd like to find a container/straining system, but haven't seen any that hold as much oil as my pot can hold (filled 1/3 of the way up). At least by guesstimation.

Back
Top Bottom