Deep fried mars bars.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FaTsLiMbOy

Assistant Cook
Hey there you guys i was just needign to know a quick question. My dad owns a chip shop, and ive heard from lots of people that deep fried mars bars are really nice. I asked if i could fry one but he said it would break the oil. I don't think this is true but can u tell me if i would damage the oil in any way? Also, i might try a snickers:chef:

If you ever happen to be in the area of Minnesota during the end of August/beginning of September, stop by the Minnesota State Fair. They deep fry just about anything. Oh, and they put it on a stick too.

As for the oil, I could see that having cooked the candy bars in it, it may not be suitable for other items, but I don't know for sure.

As an entrepreneur, I say he should give it a go. He may be missing out on big revenue, allowing him to buy a secondary fryer so as to not mix frying the candy bars with whatever else. Fry a few and see what happens. There really isn't much to lose, except a batch of oil maybe.

The candy bars or twinkies or whatever you are going to fry need to be battered before they are fried. Once battered I doubt that they will break the oil. It would be just like frying any other battered item like onion rings or chicken.

The second recipe I posted is one that MJ posted a very long time ago for deep fried oreos (what could be better?!) It suggests dipping the cookies in pancake batter before frying.

Yes, by all means, please try deep fried candy bars, twinkies, Hostess snowballs, Oreo cookies, etc. Anything loaded with sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup deserves to be encased in a high carbohydrate coating and soaked in a transfatty acid laden deep fryer. Perhaps they will catch on, and then the US will no longer be the world leader in obesity and the accompanying problems that go along with it, such as heart attack, diabetes, hypertension, stroke, heart failure, gall stones, gout, osteoarthritus, sleep apnea, cancer, and on and on, ad nauseum. I would love to see all these illnesses passed on to a country with socialized medicine, just to see if this type of programme can STILL function.
Why yes, as a matter of fact, I AM Mr. Doom & Gloom this morning!
grimreaper.gif

Last edited:
Where do you live? I've heard this is popular in Scotland. Don't we have a couple of Scottish members here?

I can assure you that deep frying Mars Bars is feasible and the results are delicious. But cooking this way works only once a year -- on April 1.

And in Scotland they also use chocolate teapots. You can buy them in all the shops. They make good souvenirs.

Last edited:
It is so ironic that you posted this questions because I was watching the Food Network and they were talking about fried mars bars and alway twinkies and other snack cakes. They did however say that you shouldn't do it at home because your stove can't possibly get the oil hot enough. So my guess would be to find out the proper degrees of the oil and you should be all set. Don't forget to put them in a salty badder of some sort to!!!

I presume you could do it in a deep fat fryer, could you not? Not the kind of thing I'm proposing to try though! I'd rather have a Mars bar or Snicker from the fridge.

Seen these kind of things advertised in local seaside takeaways, but never dared try one. I can feel my arteries clogging up just thinking about it.

Frankly, the thought that they fry the Mars Bars in the same oil as they fry fish, haggis, white puddings and black puddings makes me absolutely SURE I'll never want to try the dish in its 'natural habitat'... :)

Back
Top Bottom