Deep Fried Thoughts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vyapti

Sous Chef
I'm getting out the deep fryer this weekend. I'm going to make falafels and fried eggplant. My kids, though, won't touch either. So i'm pondering alternatives. I won't do french fries and I've never made a decent batch of onion rings. Aside from that, I'm looking for suggestions.

Does anyone have any ideas?

This is America. You can deep fry anything. Just make sure what ever you deep fry has a nice, thick, flour and egg batter on it, to soak up all that good fat!

Can you deep fry cube steak? Wouldn't it fall apart?

Not if it is a “real” cube steak. There are two kinds. One kind is made by passing a solid piece of meat, usually round, through a machine (twice) to perforate it and tenderize it. These arte solid pieces of meat and won’t fall apart.

The second kind LOOKS like cube steak, but is what I call “stitch steak”. By changing the blades on the cube steak machine, the butcher/vendor can feed in several smaller pieces of scrap meat that get perforated and “stitched” together so they look like a solid cube steak. But, these often fall apart when you try to cook them.

Problem is.....it's often hard to tell which one you're getting unless you go to a trusted Butcher.

Here’s an example of the machine.

You can turn your tenderizing set into a knitting set just by changing the position of the rear stripper. Take two smaller pieces of hard to merchandise meat and convert them into one value-added product.

funnel cakes, fried baked patatoes, fries, onion rings, fried mushrooms, fried ice cream, fried fish, hush puppies, fried bananas

Get a roll of biscuits to bake. Open them up. Using your fingers work them into a donut shape. Drop them in the oil. When they are golden on both sides take them out and dust them with powdered sugar or sugar and cinnamon, chocolate, etc.

they make great tasting donuts...

My brother likes to make deep fried mac and cheese in his turkey fryer. He also does deep fried mashed potato balls.

Beer Battered Fish?
Beer Battered Mushrooms?
Sopapillas?
Fried shrimp?
Hushpuppies?

My family loves it when I make fried chicken.

Blanch assorted vegetables...broccoli, cauliflower, diagonally sliced carrots, asparagus, zucchini, etc. Dip in a tempura batter and fry up. Other vegetables, such as sweet red and green peppers, thinly sliced onion rings, and thickly sliced mushrooms will not need to be braised.
Serve with sweet and sour and/or mustard sauce.

Try FF made from Sweet Potatoes........

These are very good. I tried making them once at home and I was very pleased with the results. Being from the PNW, sweet potatoes aren't a regular item in the pantry. However once I moved 'down south' so to speak, I have experimented more with them. You can do either sweet potato fries or chips - either are delicious.

I'm getting out the deep fryer this weekend. I'm going to make falafels and fried eggplant. My kids, though, won't touch either. So i'm pondering alternatives. I won't do french fries and I've never made a decent batch of onion rings. Aside from that, I'm looking for suggestions.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I love falafel. Can you tell them it's chicken nuggets, lol. Put 'em in a pita and cover them up w tzaziki (sp), cukes & tomatoes. Eggplant croquettes?
Not much of a deep fryer here, but how about avocado fries?

Food Recipes: Cornmeal-Crusted Avocado Fries with Trio of Relishes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom