"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-19-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Per the title of this thread "Defining factors of how long desserts last"
my answer is simple .. not long enough !

I am curious as to why you are investigating this information.

Are you planning on making mass quantities for long term survival?

I am not being sarcastic as many people are doing that these days.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:54 PM   #12
Cook

I am doing this because don't want to actually use the pre-mix flour stuff I want to do it from just the basic ingrediants no preservatives or additives .... just the good healthy natural stuff.

And I wanted to create a natural flour mix so I don't have to always mix the solids together just the liquids and then dump the solids into the liquids.
I.e already have everything pre-mixed / measured for the solid stuff with out adding any preservatives or additives (and with out it going bad)

I know after cooking alot of deserts they last plenty of time.
But I was more wondering if I pre-mix the solid items would there shelve life still last reasonable long say 3 months to 6 months

Old 04-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Try this, Sam. No sense reinventing the wheel. This mix is really general purpose, and you add extras (like chocolate, spices, eggs, milk) when you get ready to bake something.

GH1055 The New Missouri Mix | University of Missouri Extension
Sparrowgrass, this is fascinating. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
Sous Chef

In prepacked mixes the yeast is usually kept separate. Other mixes seem to everything but liquid.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:11 AM   #15
Master Chef

There are two "mix" items I tend to make in cycles: scones and pancakes. Anytime I make a batch of pancakes I measure and combine the dry ingredients, including the baking powder, for two additional meals. I'll either bag the dry stuff in zip bags or put it in plastic containers. Make sure you mark it!!! (Yup, the voice of experience...) Same thing with scones. This way if I want to make a batch of either of them in the next month or so the dry stuff is already waiting. Never have had a problem since I use it up fast enough.

I don't pre-mix anything with a shortening in it like the Missouri mix has because I rarely use shortening. I sin and use butter. Also, if a recipe has brown sugar as the sweetener I wait to add it in when I use the mix. If put in ahead the moisture in it is sucked out by the flour and the sugar gets hard and is very hard to remix with the rest of the stuff.

It does look like the Missouri Mix would work if you're looking for a substitute for Bisquick. Actually looks interesting enough I might give it a try just to have on had for shortcakes - it's strawberry season, after all. Thanks for the link sparrowgrass!
Old 04-22-2013, 02:20 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Baking powder has an expiration date beyond which it won't leaven. That makes long-term storage a problem.
I'm not a baker, I detest baking so my baking powder & soda is probably at the very least 5 years old or older. I guess it's no good & that I should toss it then, huh?

Even though I don't like to bake I did whip up a very easy peach cobbler tonight & I did use the old baking powder, I didn't look to see how old it actually was. Did I do something bad?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:07 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymatey2013 View Post
I'm not a baker, I detest baking so my baking powder & soda is probably at the very least 5 years old or older. I guess it's no good & that I should toss it then, huh?

Even though I don't like to bake I did whip up a very easy peach cobbler tonight & I did use the old baking powder, I didn't look to see how old it actually was. Did I do something bad?
Did the cobbler turn out good enough, or hard and flat? That's pretty much the worst that can happen from old baking powder. It loses the quality that gives "lift" to quick bread (non-yeast) items. If the date on my baking powder is past due but not too old I usually just add a little more of it than what the recipe calls for to compensate.

I suppose if the cobbler was less than stellar it could still be fixed with a little ice cream.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Well, I'm not sure. I did make a mistake even though it was an easy recipe. The can of peaches didn't have a size stated, all it said was to use a large can so I ended up using the huge 24 0z can instead of the proper size. I think they meant to use the smaller can. It came out good but a little juicy and it took 20 minutes longer to bake.

I did serve it with local made soft ice cream and I thought it was great!

I just checked the date and it expired 5/29/10. I guess I'll pitch it and replace it because I do want to start baking homemade bread. I may give that a try this week since I'm off the whole week working with my new puppy!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Well, I'm not sure. I did make a mistake even though it was an easy recipe. The can of peaches didn't have a size stated, all it said was to use a large can so I ended up using the huge 24 0z can instead of the proper size. I think they meant to use the smaller can. It came out good but a little juicy and it took 20 minutes longer to bake.

I just checked the date and it expired 5/29/10. I guess I'll pitch it and replace it because I do want to start baking homemade bread. I may give that a try this week since I'm off the whole week working with my new puppy!
I buy my baking powder in the bulk section at the store, don't know if you have such near by. I save a lot that way, I only buy enough to last me a couple weeks at a time.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:

IMO any food you don't have to pitch is a success. Some dishes are just more sucessful than others.

And before you go shopping make sure you check those bread recipes. If you're making a quick bread like banana you use baking powder. If you're making something like white, wheat or rye you need to get yeast. Have fun and good luck!