"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 04-19-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
Cook

Defining factors of how long desserts last

First would flour go bad quicker if you pre-mixed it with leavning agents like
baking soda , baking powder ,...etc ( could I do this with out getting the pre-mix ones with all the additional unnatural ingredinats )

What I was thinking is that since baking soda or powder lasts on its own for a really long time and flour lasts a really long time the combination would as well.

Is this correct or is there some chemical breakdown reaction even when there is no liquids involved between these items?

Next thing that I am wondering about is when you make a cake or brownies or cookies (homemade) what is the defining factor of when it goes bad.

Obviously if the combination of flour and leavning agents don't go bad then it would be either the egg , milk , or butter/shortening products. And I would think the water from the milk when cooking evaborates so it would be the equivalant to powedered milk at best but probably around evaporated/condensed milk which can last still a long time.
Egg don't know how long this can last before going bad in the sugar (preservative)
Nor do I know how long it would take shortening to go bad in the sugar.

But I am think the defining factor is the shortening and maybe the eggs in the dessert that make it go bad faster then others.
O and maybe the air as well wonder how long if it was vaccum sealed a cake or brownies and left out with no exposure to air it would still go bad eventually but would it take an longer to go bad (basically trying to rule out the air being a major factor but probably is )

Old 04-19-2013, 02:31 AM   #2
Head Chef

Premixing flour with other dry ingredients, such as baking soda and baking powder will not affect the life of the flour.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:46 AM   #3
Cook

how about sugar , cocoa , or other general herb/veg/fruit powders that one sees in big jars at whole food stores. Such as ginger powder , or other ones you pay per ounce and scoop out. They last on there own for as long as flours as well would there combination to the flour / leavning mix make it go bad faster ?

Or is this just when you add the eggs , milk , and shortening to the mix?

If it is just when you add the eggs , milk , and shortening to the mix then could you even cut it more down and use powdered milk , powdered egg whites
Then all you would have to do is rehydrate the milk with some water and add some shortening.

Thus reducing baking to mixing of ratio's of powders "sort of say" and adding water / shortening ratio's
Old 04-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

desserts can last a long time?

lol.

(deserts are often devoid of liquids, btw)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:18 AM   #5
Cook

so then why do the grocery stores add all kinds of crap to the pre-made
cake , brownie , pancake ,....etc mixes?

Won't the natural ingrediants preserve them selfs ?

If I bought just the natural ingrediants like flour (unbleached ) , baking powder / soda , unrefined sugar....etc etc
Then just mixed it in the correct ratio's for each of my baking needs and labeled them cake mix , brownie mix ,...etc
Wouldn't this be a healthier option I think Yes

But it is hard to understand why then people started mixing other crap into them to preserve it you say it will hold on its own if you pre-mixed the ingrediants. So why ? The only thing I can think of is for the hardening of brown sugar sometimes can be a pain to breakup but this is a minor think and easy to get around without the intervention of all the added chemicals
Old 04-19-2013, 03:25 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

if the package mix has yeast in it, it can develop spores that can make you sick, even to the point of being fatal.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:40 AM   #7
Cook

so then you cann't mix all the different flours and leavning agents
so is yeast the only one you cann't pre-mix with flour currently known.

Or are you saying if you mix flour with yeast there has to be something like use with in 3 to 6 month
Old 04-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm not a baker by any stretch of the imagination, so hopefully someone more experienced with it will come along soon.

while i'm loathe to say it as i find the suggestion of such disrespectful, you might do a search on "why do cake mixes go bad".

i remember something i read from a few years ago that stated how old mixes with yeast can develop little nasties that can make you sick.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Baking powder has an expiration date beyond which it won't leaven. That makes long-term storage a problem.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
Head Chef

Try this, Sam. No sense reinventing the wheel. This mix is really general purpose, and you add extras (like chocolate, spices, eggs, milk) when you get ready to bake something.

GH1055 The New Missouri Mix | University of Missouri Extension