Deli tongue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
YES!!!!

damn straight, tatt!

or i woulda gone with andy's recommendation if serving cold, on pumpernickel (or rye), with brown mustard, but also with raw onion.

i'm surprised that there's no joke about food tasting you first.

YES!!!!

damn straight, tatt!

or i woulda gone with andy's recommendation if serving cold, on pumpernickel (or rye), with brown mustard, but also with raw onion.

i'm surprised that there's no joke about food tasting you first.
One of my uncles was offered a tongue sandwich and said he didn't want to eat anything that had been in someone else's mouth. The waitress asked him what he would like instead. He replied, "An egg sandwich" and then he realized what he had said and burst out laughing.

Have you priced it in the grocery, if you can find it? It runs around $18.00 to buy a whole fresh tongue. I guess the supply and demand finally caught up, when all the people with rolly eyes discovered what we already knew. :ermm:

Last edited:
Have you priced it in the grocery, if you can find it? It runs around $18.00 to buy a whole fresh tongue. I guess the supply and demand finally caught up, when all the people with rolly eyes discovered what we already knew. :ermm:
Katz's is getting $24.50 per pound for tongue, $12.35 for Pastrami, $19.95 for corned beef and $9.15 per pound for knockwurst. Locally, Goldberg's is even more expensive.

So much cheaper to make your own as kosher butcher charges like 25$ a lb. it was like $14 for entire tongue. $10 for the salt (only used
like 10% of it ) and a handful of spices and old veggies lying around. Very economical but it takes 7-10 days!! So you can't just make it on a whim.

So much cheaper to make your own as kosher butcher charges like 25$ a lb. it was like $14 for entire tongue. $10 for the salt (only used
like 10% of it ) and a handful of spices and old veggies lying around. Very economical but it takes 7-10 days!! So you can't just make it on a whim.
What part of the country and part of a state are you in? (eg downstate NY?, NJ, Southern CA?)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom