"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill
Looks deelish. Whole raw tongue is not easy to come by in our area but I'd like to see your recipe.
Wasn't much of a recipe. Soaked in pickling spice, salt, curing salt for 6 days!! Soaked in water 1 day and them oiled with random soup veggies and peeled it.

This is the first time I did a wet cure though. It makes so much of a difference than just boiling.

I wanted to bring it to my parents restaurant up the block to use the slicer to make it thin but my husband was ( rightfully) scared everyone would eat it. He even hid it in the fridge from my grandparents as they are coming over and he doesn't want to share!
__________________

__________________
Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
...He even hid it in the fridge from my grandparents as they are coming over and he doesn't want to share!
There's the best testimonial for your cooking! "Screw the grandparents! This is MINE!"

Sharing is way overrated.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Morton Tender Quick or Sugar Cure?
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:40 AM   #14
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.

There's the best testimonial for your cooking! "Screw the grandparents! This is MINE!"

Sharing is way overrated.
My grandma asked me about it and I had to say there was no more! The guilt!! Next week I'm making 2 tongues. One for us one for everyone else
__________________
Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill
Morton Tender Quick or Sugar Cure?
Hmmm??? Used this stuff, kosher salt, some brown sugar and pickling spices

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-405450295.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	15619
__________________
Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
Wasn't much of a recipe. Soaked in pickling spice, salt, curing salt for 6 days!! Soaked in water 1 day and them oiled with random soup veggies and peeled it.

This is the first time I did a wet cure though. It makes so much of a difference than just boiling.

I wanted to bring it to my parents restaurant up the block to use the slicer to make it thin but my husband was ( rightfully) scared everyone would eat it. He even hid it in the fridge from my grandparents as they are coming over and he doesn't want to share!
How hard was it to peel the skin off the tongue?

I only ever cooked tongue once. It was pork tongue. I had a dickens of a time peeling the skin off and some of the meat came away with the skin. I left it to cool and the cat stole it.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #17
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady
How hard was it to peel the skin off the tongue?

I only ever cooked tongue once. It was pork tongue. I had a dickens of a time peeling the skin off and some of the meat came away with the skin. I left it to cool and the cat stole it.
Super easy to peel the skin off once it's cooked and still hot . Kind of falls right off. Maybe your tongue was not done yet?
__________________
Siegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
How hard was it to peel the skin off the tongue?

I only ever cooked tongue once. It was pork tongue. I had a dickens of a time peeling the skin off and some of the meat came away with the skin. I left it to cool and the cat stole it.
Umm...the cat got your tongue?
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegal View Post
Super easy to peel the skin off once it's cooked and still hot . Kind of falls right off. Maybe your tongue was not done yet?
That may well have been the case. How do you know when it's cooked enough?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Umm...the cat got your tongue?
Yup, and it was a tiny, five pound cat. The tongue was bigger than her head.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #20
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,404
Bill, you can by a pickling spice mix, works like a charm. Personally I do not like pickled tongue. Plain boiled dis my favorite.
__________________

__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.