Deli tongue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Siegal

Sous Chef
I cured and pickled for a week and soaked and boiled and peeled. It was uh-mazing. I feel like I channeled my great great grandma in the shtetle making this thing.

image-2851729621.jpg

Yum...it's been forever, we used to have it monthly when I was a kid. Shrek would never let me buy it or heart, either.

It's like slices of beefy pot roast, those who doubt the tongue are really missing out. My favorite, chop fine, sear in a little oil, add chopped onion, and cilantro, squeeze of lime, and into a couple of tortillas. Tacos de lingue, QUE RICO!

It's like slices of beefy pot roast, those who doubt the tongue are really missing out. My favorite, chop fine, sear in a little oil, add chopped onion, and cilantro, squeeze of lime, and into a couple of tortillas. Tacos de lingue, QUE RICO!

My favorite too Tatt. I do think it should be added that it needs to be boiled till tender first! :LOL:

My favorite too Tatt. I do think it should be added that it needs to be boiled till tender first! :LOL:

lol, indeed, though I thought it should go without saying.

I remember too, having thought about tongue since this thread popped up, my fave sammich version: Butter grilled sourdough(I am not a huge rye/pumper fan), shaved tongue, thin sliced red onion, a generous amount of fresh cracked black pepper, and horseradish mayo(or aioli if ya wanna get all fancy, so add garlic to the mayo, big whoop), and for a REAL TREAT, I add an over easy egg. Was one of my all time faves in my short time living in NYC. Also, GREAT cure for a hangover!

justplainbill said:
Looks deelish. Whole raw tongue is not easy to come by in our area but I'd like to see your recipe.

Wasn't much of a recipe. Soaked in pickling spice, salt, curing salt for 6 days!! Soaked in water 1 day and them oiled with random soup veggies and peeled it.

This is the first time I did a wet cure though. It makes so much of a difference than just boiling.

I wanted to bring it to my parents restaurant up the block to use the slicer to make it thin but my husband was ( rightfully) scared everyone would eat it. He even hid it in the fridge from my grandparents as they are coming over and he doesn't want to share!

...He even hid it in the fridge from my grandparents as they are coming over and he doesn't want to share!

There's the best testimonial for your cooking! "Screw the grandparents! This is MINE!"

Sharing is way overrated.

Andy M. said:
There's the best testimonial for your cooking! "Screw the grandparents! This is MINE!"

Sharing is way overrated.

My grandma asked me about it and I had to say there was no more! The guilt!! Next week I'm making 2 tongues. One for us one for everyone else

Wasn't much of a recipe. Soaked in pickling spice, salt, curing salt for 6 days!! Soaked in water 1 day and them oiled with random soup veggies and peeled it.

This is the first time I did a wet cure though. It makes so much of a difference than just boiling.

I wanted to bring it to my parents restaurant up the block to use the slicer to make it thin but my husband was ( rightfully) scared everyone would eat it. He even hid it in the fridge from my grandparents as they are coming over and he doesn't want to share!
How hard was it to peel the skin off the tongue?

I only ever cooked tongue once. It was pork tongue. I had a dickens of a time peeling the skin off and some of the meat came away with the skin. I left it to cool and the cat stole it. :ohmy::LOL:

taxlady said:

I only ever cooked tongue once. It was pork tongue. I had a dickens of a time peeling the skin off and some of the meat came away with the skin. I left it to cool and the cat stole it. :ohmy::LOL:

Super easy to peel the skin off once it's cooked and still hot . Kind of falls right off. Maybe your tongue was not done yet?

Umm...the cat got your tongue? :rolleyes:

Super easy to peel the skin off once it's cooked and still hot . Kind of falls right off. Maybe your tongue was not done yet?
That may well have been the case. How do you know when it's cooked enough?
Umm...the cat got your tongue? :rolleyes:
Yup, and it was a tiny, five pound cat. The tongue was bigger than her head. :LOL:

Bill, you can by a pickling spice mix, works like a charm. Personally I do not like pickled tongue. Plain boiled dis my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom