"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
I just recently made an onion jam while visiting my brother in Georgia... He came home with a 10 pound bag of vidalia onions, and I had bought pork chops to grill for dinner so I decided to make a jam... I used the onions some orange marmalade, rosemary, thyme, balsamic vinegar, and cooked them down for about 3 hours... Outstanding with the pork but I also think this would be fabulous on chicken... Perhaps chicken, sharp cheddar with some onion jam on a crusty baquette... Yum I think i'll have to make some for my fridge...
Now I have to try this. Got a recipe to share?
kades

Old 06-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Now I have to try this. Got a recipe to share?
kades
Didn't use a recipe Kades but i'll tell you how I did it... I used 5 large vidalia onions sliced thin thrown in a stockpot with some olive oil until they softened just a bit... Then I threw in about 3 Tbsps of orange marmalade (cause orange and pork, well yum right) about 1 T rosemary, 1 T thyme, healthy splash of balsamic vinegar (maybe 2 T) S&P then I put on a low flame, covererd and stirred every 30-40 minutes until they were jammylike (is that a word?) and a burnt orange color...

I guess I should write this down because in a few more weeks the mind will not remember this... I love getting older ...

Have fun with this my love, and taste as it gets closer to the end to check for sweetness... Let me know how it turned out... XOXO

Old 06-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Didn't use a recipe Kades but i'll tell you how I did it... I used 5 large vidalia onions sliced thin thrown in a stockpot with some olive oil until they softened just a bit... Then I threw in about 3 Tbsps of orange marmalade (cause orange and pork, well yum right) about 1 T rosemary, 1 T thyme, healthy splash of balsamic vinegar (maybe 2 T) S&P then I put on a low flame, covererd and stirred every 30-40 minutes until they were jammylike (is that a word?) and a burnt orange color...

I guess I should write this down because in a few more weeks the mind will not remember this... I love getting older ...

Have fun with this my love, and taste as it gets closer to the end to check for sweetness... Let me know how it turned out... XOXO
Thank you Mimi,
I have it all here and plan to make some tomorrow.You're not old You're Our Mimi
kades