Demi Glace

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

velochic

Sous Chef
I did a quick search to see if this was already discussed, but didn't find anything.

I have made demi glace from scratch in the past. We buy a side of beef each year and I always ask for soup bones. I get a really delicious stock from these, but if I make demi glace from this stock, it takes so much of what I manage to make from these soup bones. I want to keep more of the stock rather than making it into demi glace concentrate.

So, I was thinking that I should just buy good stock to make a rich demi glace this time. To make a long story short... by the time I buy enough stock to make a good demi glace, I could buy prepared demi glace concentrate at a similar price and save myself the work. I've looked online at a lot of different brands of demi glace - some more (much more) expensive than others. An all-natural product without preservatives is a requirement.

Does anyone have a preferred brand that is TNT?

I've tried demi-glace gold and found it VILE!!! I'd just ask the butcher for more bones and make more stock. It's well worth it. You just can't get that silky texture and complex taste from a little tub.

If storage becomes a problem, I reduce most of my stock to glace and reconstitute as needed.

I've tried demi-glace gold and found it VILE!!! I'd just ask the butcher for more bones and make more stock. It's well worth it. You just can't get that silky texture and complex taste from a little tub.

If storage becomes a problem, I reduce most of my stock to glace and reconstitute as needed.

Ditto SS:

I've made the demi-glace reduced it down and froze it in ice cube trays. Works great and you got good stuff, even if it is a good deal of work. Nice work for a winter's kitchen adventure.:chef:

Demi-Glace

I read so much discussion on some of these forums about "buying demi-glace". This thought never crossed my mind. Isn't it a contradiction in terms?

If I am skilled and proud enough to make something that is complimented by the rich flavor of demi-glace, I'd be sure to make the primary source of flavor from scratch also. Otherwise, I think I'd make something else.

I don't mean that to sound like snotty chef, but with all the convenience items out there, and the industrial food complex trying to make things easier, cheaper and cheaper, where do we all draw our personal lines?

Cooking doesn't have to be fancy, but it is your personal art form. If you're an artist, if only for your family, don't use crayons.

Chef Todd Mohr

Thank you to those that were actually helpful in this thread.

I already get all of the soup bones available at the time the animal is butchered. We are picky about our meat and I don't want to just get bones from just any cattle. If there isn't a good all-natural alternative, I'll just buy organic stock and continue to make it myself from scratch.

Pennsy - this is how I store mine, as well... in ice cube trays. I keep a lot of food that way... from pesto to leftover cream to tomato sauce. It's a great way to keep small amounts of all sorts of things to add to sauces.

Thank you to those that were actually helpful in this thread.
Pennsy - this is how I store mine, as well... in ice cube trays. I keep a lot of food that way... from pesto to leftover cream to tomato sauce. It's a great way to keep small amounts of all sorts of things to add to sauces.

No problem, glad to concur. Our household is just "two," so I try to keep things small.
;)Pennsy

Back
Top Bottom