Depression cake/wacky cake help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

damiansmum10

Assistant Cook
Hi so I've made wacky cake before in vanilla and chocolate but I'm craving carrot cake. Could I add the spices and carrots and raisins for like a carrot cake into the wacky cake?

I've heard of chocolate and beetroot going together...do you think chocolate and carrot would? :ermm:

I've heard of chocolate and beetroot going together...do you think chocolate and carrot would? :ermm:

I was thinking of making the vanilla and adding the spices and carrot and all of that. idk if it oeuld work out im kinda deciding to try it or not.

I think I would just make a carrot cake, using a regular CC recipe. Cream cheese frosting!

You could try adding a grated carrot to this simple applesauce cake recipe from the Great Depression. The recipe is written as I found it. I really can't condone putting chocolate frosting on this cake! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I cut the recipe in half and bake it in a 8"X8" pan.

Aunt Pearl's Applesauce Cake

1 cup sugar
1 Tbls. cinnamon
1 teas. cloves
2 teas. baking soda
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup oil
2 cups applesauce
1 cup raisins
Nuts if desired.

Mix sugar, cinnamon and cloves. Stir soda into applesauce and let foam in bowl. Add flour, oil and raisins. Add nuts if desired.

Bake at 350 about 45 minutes. We use a 9x 13 pan, ungreased. Also, if you mix the raisins into the flour when you add them, they will be coated and won't all sink to the bottom of the pan We never frosted this cake. It is very dense and moist. Dh's family has the same recipe and they always frost it with chocolate icing. This is what dh's b-day cake is every year.

You could try adding a grated carrot to this simple applesauce cake recipe from the Great Depression. The recipe is written as I found it. I really can't condone putting chocolate frosting on this cake! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

1 cup sugar
1 Tbls. cinnamon
1 teas. cloves
2 teas. baking soda
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup oil
2 cups applesauce
1 cup raisins
Nuts if desired.

Mix sugar, cinnamon and cloves. Stir soda into applesauce and let foam in bowl. Add flour, oil and raisins. Add nuts if desired.

Bake at 350 about 45 minutes. We use a 9x 13 pan, ungreased. Also, if you mix the raisins into the flour when you add them, they will be coated and won't all sink to the bottom of the pan We never frosted this cake. It is very dense and moist. Dh's family has the same recipe and they always frost it with chocolate icing. This is what dh's b-day cake is every year.

You should experiment with the spices used in carrot cake (and the carrots) see if you like it!

do you think if I add it that it might taste like carrot cake or like this applesauce one? I did find some carrot cake recipes with applesauce in it though.

I think you could add the grated carrot and spices to your vanilla wacky cake and it would work fine, may need to add a bit of vegetable oil to get the right texture.

1 cup sugar
1 Tbls. cinnamon
1 teas. cloves
2 teas. baking soda
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup oil
2 cups applesauce
1 cup raisins
Nuts if desired.

I know i havent posted in a while. I have made this recipe a few times and just add a cup of shredded up carrot and it is really good everyone loves it.

1 cup sugar
1 Tbls. cinnamon
1 teas. cloves
2 teas. baking soda
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup oil
2 cups applesauce
1 cup raisins
Nuts if desired.

Yum!!!!

Aunt bea Made the applesauce cake in 8x8 pan size and use dried cranberries instead of raisins as that is what I had on hand.
GREAT !!!!! I just sprinkled it with confectionary sugar. I think a cream cheese or even a maple frosting would be great.
Its a keeper. thanks

Aunt bea Made the applesauce cake in 8x8 pan size and use dried cranberries instead of raisins as that is what I had on hand.
GREAT !!!!! I just sprinkled it with confectionary sugar. I think a cream cheese or even a maple frosting would be great.
Its a keeper. thanks

Great!!!

Maple frosting or drizzle sounds nice.

I also think it would be good with a streusel topping added before it goes in the oven, sort of a coffee cake version!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom