Desert Island Dilemma - what cake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
What is your favorite cake?

If you were stranded on a desert island and had an endless supply of fresh cake - but only one flavor what would you choose?

I would choose my grans marble cake which is dense and pound cake-ish and the marble swirl is intensely chocolate but there are so many excellent cakes out there. What would you choose?

German chocolate
Yellow cake with strawberry icing
Angel food
Spice cake with glaze
Devils food
Fruit cake
Or ???

marble.jpg

Since cheesecake is actually a pie, I'll have to say a dark chocolate cake with chocolate ganache frosting. I'll also need some home made vanilla ice cream and a glass of milk so please arrange for refrigeration.

Oh, one more thing. Please arrange to have a satellite phone baked into the cake so I can get off the island.

Hands down, my favorite would be Carrot Cake. I like the classic cream cheese frosting but I have a memory of a broiled butter/brown sugar/coconut/pecan topping on a Carrot sheet cake that was just fabulous.

Last edited:
Hands down, my favorite would be Carrot Cake. I like the classic cream cheese frosting but I have a memory of a broiled butter/brown sugar/coconut/pecan topping on a Carrot sheet cake that was just fabulous.

Oooo! SO’s Carrot cake. This could be my new fave.

Okay, a dark chocolate cake with coffee in the recipe with some ganache, but on the next chocolate layer, some pecan/coconut/brown sugar/broiled butter icing with some carrot cake on the top with some cream cheese icing......it would be a big cake.

So many favorites...as long as I'm not making them. :LOL: My Mom's light-as-a-feather white cake with coconut frosting. Or carrot cake. Or Hummingbird Cake - I actually have made that often in the past. But I love chocolate. LoveLove chocolate. I think it would have to be something like Andy's first pick - chocolate cake with a chocolate custard filling between layers and a chocolate ganache icing. I make that cake when we were in our second apartment - so, sometime between 1975 and 1977. The custard wasn't thick enough, and neither was the ganache, so it was the Leaning Tower of Cake. :LOL: My BIL called it "ABC Cake", as in Already Been Chewed. Still, I remember him eating two generous slices and still taking more with them when he and my SIL left.

Wait, wait. I think I would want the Cleveland version of a Cassata Cake. Whipped cream. Custard filling. Fresh strawberries. *sigh*

Oooo! Wait! Try Leches Cake!

Clearly I'll have to be deserted on an island three or more times.

I know, Andy! Hey, do you think if we were stranded on an archipelago there would be a different kind of cake on each island?

Janet, I just realized that you could have titled this thread "Dessert Island...". :LOL:

Cloudberry almond cake... or Swedish gingerbread cake with lingon or Ontbijtkoek.

What is your favorite cake?

If you were stranded on a desert island and had an endless supply of fresh cake - but only one flavor what would you choose?

I would choose my grans marble cake which is dense and pound cake-ish and the marble swirl is intensely chocolate but there are so many excellent cakes out there. What would you choose?

German chocolate
Yellow cake with strawberry icing
Angel food
Spice cake with glaze
Devils food
Fruit cake
Or ???

View attachment 31557
Delia Smith's Boil & Bake Cake - fruit cake recipe which I have experimented with and added extra dried fruit and glace cherries and a good slug of whisky or something similar and I used butter in the cake rather than the suggested margarine! Must be a success because a friend asked me to make 3 large graduated versions for his wedding cake! I didn't ice it - his future sister-in-law was going to do that.

mmmmm, cake..

I love cake of all types and flavors, even the ones I fail at baking.. :neutral:

My very favorite, at the risk of boo's and hisses on a cooking forum is... Pepperidge Farm Coconut Layer Cake... Were I be allowed to have only one cake, that would be it.. :yum:

Ross

Attachments

• Cocconut Layer Cake.jpg
    Cocconut Layer Cake.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 173
Very interesting thread. Seems the majority (so far) start off with chocolate but then graduate to every other flavour imaginable. too funny...

I personally will eat almost any cake put in front of me - but I don't have a favourite per se. What to chose, what to chose....

mmmmm, cake..

I love cake of all types and flavors, even the ones I fail at baking.. :neutral:

My very favorite, at the risk of boo's and hisses on a cooking forum is... Pepperidge Farm Coconut Layer Cake... Were I be allowed to have only one cake, that would be it.. :yum:

Ross

No booing or hissing from me Ross. Now that's a cake I can put on the table.;)
Trader Joe's has a darn good frozen Carrot Cake too.

Last edited:
mmmmm, cake..

Ross

That would be a great choice for me!

I would probably vote for a plain old pound cake but I wouldn't be upset if a pineapple upside down cake, a lemon drizzle or an applesauce cake, washed up on the beach every now and then. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Katie H's Black Devil's Food Cake

devils_food_cake_090609_1_P1030958.JPG

I could eat this plain everyday!

BUT ......................................

Dressed up with Cherry pie filling/topping, fresh strawberries, banana slices, whipped cream and flaked coconut is even better.

devils_food_cake_090609_4_P1030968.JPG

Back
Top Bottom