Dessert involving a mild hard cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hamlet_cat

Assistant Cook
Hi, I need a dessert that involves using a mild hard cheese. Does anyone have a recipe that they like or know of that they could pass on.

Thanks so much.

If it doesn't need to be fancy why not make brown butter rice krispie squares with shredded parm.

Different cheeses go with different things. Is this a fancy dessert? How much cooking/ baking do you want to do?

I just basically need a dessert that is fairly easy to make. Baking is fine. I am just looking for a dessert that involves using a hard mild cheese. I have recipes that use cream cheese and Brie but neither of those will work because they are both too soft. It is complicated to describe what I am doing, but basically I need a sweet combination of flavours that will go with a hard cheese. I want to make a sweet filling and use the hard cheese as a wrap to enclose the filling. Other than vanilla extract, sugar and cream cheese, I don't have another idea for a filling, that is why I am looking for some recipes that give me ideas.

The 2nd link has a pic :)
Both recipes are the same, it's a very South African recipe. I could make this in my sleep!

Last edited:
The cheese that comes to my mind is Gjetost, but I don't know if one would describe it as mild...one either loves it or hates it. We always eat it as a dessert cheese, but I also add it to gravy when I make roast beef or venison or Swedish meatballs.

Here are some baked desserts you can do with Gjetost. My grandma used to add it to her apple pie filling, but I don't have a recipe for that, other than make apple pie and grate some Gjetost on top of the filling before you put the top on and bake it.
Sour Cream Apple Pie with Norwegian Gjetost Recipe | MyGourmetConnection

A Toast for a Humble Norwegian Cheese - NYTimes.com

Or you can use it in a fondue with fruit or bread or ginger cookies:

Gjetost Fondue recipe from Food52

Apple and Smoked Gouda Tart

Favorite sweet pie/tart crust for an 8 inch tart pan or 8 individual tarts, blind baked, cooled. I just sub butter for shortening and add 2 tablespoons of sugar to regular pie crust.
Pastry Custard (recipe below)
4 granny smith apples, sliced and sauteed in butter until soft
8 ounces smoke gouda sliced or grated

In cooled crust, spread the cooled custard in the bottom of the tart or about 2 tablespoons in each individual tart. Top with the still warm apples (about 1/2 apple to each individual tart) lay or sprinkle the cheese over the top. Place under oven broiler until cheese is melted. Serve warm with whipped cream.

Pastry Custard

1 tsp vanilla
10 fl oz heavy cream
3 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 oz superfine sugar

Scald the cream, do not allow to boil. While the cream is heating, whisk the egg yolks, cornstarch and sugar together in a medium bowl using a balloon whisk. Then whisk the egg mixture all the time with one hand, gradually pour the hot cream into the bowl.

When it's mixed, immediately return to the saucepan using a rubber spatula. Using same gentle heat, continue whisking until the custard is thick and smooth, which will happen as soon as it reaches simmering point. Remove from heat, cover with plastic wrap and allow to cool.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom