"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-06-2007, 04:35 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to storm-louise Send a message via Yahoo to storm-louise
Diane Sauce - Steak Diane

Hi all.

For a few weeks I've been trying to track down a really GOD recipe for Diane Sauce. Can any one please help me.

Storm

Old 09-06-2007, 08:24 AM   #2
Master Chef

I am unfamiliar with the sauce, though I have heard of it. So I did a Google search and found a good number of recipes.Most call for butter, cream, shallots, and tomato sauce. Several called for the addition of congac or brandy and for the sauce to be flambe'd at the tabel. I don't recomend this for most home cooks as it can be dangerous. Just enter "Diane Sauce, Recipes" in the search space and hit go. You will get a host of recipes. Compare them and find out what they have in common and you will usually be able to come up with a very good sauce. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:48 PM   #3
Master Chef

Cognac is definitely traditional (& in my opinion essential) for Steak Diane. However, you do not have to flambe it. Just add the cognac & simmer it down. Same difference without the drama or risk.

However, in all the times I've enjoyed this dish in restaurants or made it myself, I've never come across or seen a recipe that asked for tomato sauce. That simply isn't Steak Diane, nor is it traditional to the sauce. Traditional basic ingredients are butter, cream, shallots, sliced mushrooms, freshly ground black pepper, & cognac or brandy.

Goodweed - exactly how many recipes did you come across that claim tomato sauce is an ingredient of a "Diane" sauce? I've really never seen that before, in recipes or in restaurants.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
Master Chef

I haven't made it for years, but "Steak Diane" -- by definition -- is a thin steak quickly sauteed in butter and flambeed with cognac, which is turned into a creamy pan sauce by the addition of W-sauce and cream. Usually mushrooms and shallots are sauteed along with the meat so that they fortify the sauce.

Flambeeing is actually much easier and safer than people may think. Make sure you take the pan off the heat. Make sure that nothing is above the pan and add the cognac and light it with a match. Keep the pan's lid nearby if things go awry.

Here's a Saveur recipe that uses Madeira and does not flame. Saveur - Steak Diane
Old 09-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
Master Chef

Here are some links:

Diane Sauce - Allrecipes

Simply Recipes: Heidi's Steak Diane Recipe

Diane Sauce recipe - Best Recipes

Yahoo! Answers - How do you make Dianne sauce for steak. The creamy way if poss.?

Diane Sauce Recipe | Recipezaar

After further research, I too found that the original Diane Sauce has no tomato sauce in it. But evedently, there are recipes that do.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
Master Chef

I stand corrected - there actually are recipes out there that call for tomato paste or sauce. One of the above recipes even called for bacon!! But I'd still be mighty disappointed if I ordered Steak Diane in a restaurant & it came out with any hint of tomatoes (or bacon) in it. Just give me the cognac, peppercorns, & cream any time!! : )
Old 09-06-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
But I'd still be mighty disappointed if I ordered Steak Diane in a restaurant & it came out with any hint of tomatoes (or bacon) in it.
I don't think anyone has EVER been disappointed by the inclusion of bacon in anything!
Old 09-07-2007, 02:30 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to storm-louise Send a message via Yahoo to storm-louise
Hey all. Thanks so much for your input help and info. Im not so sure on the flambe'd thingy but it sounds like it involves a blow torch. :-) Thanks again. Storm
Old 09-07-2007, 06:47 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

If you add cognac, it is easy to ingnite with a match or the gas flame on your stove. You have to be careful and add the cognac to the pan away from the burner to prevent premature ignition that could surprise you.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
Master Chef

Oh, & also - never EVER stand directly over a warm or hot pan as you add any sort of alcohol. As Andy M. stated, you could be unpleasantly surprised (& end up looking like Uncle Leo on "Seinfeld" when he opened a letter bomb & blew his eyebrows off - LOL!!!).