"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2017, 05:07 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If the oil in a SS pan is subjected to too much heat, it leaves a brown residue around the inside rim of the pan. No need to resort to sandpaper to clean your pan. All you need is a can of Barkeepers Friend, a scouring powder. Use it on a blue scrubber sponge and it'll do the trick.
That is exactly what I used; that very sponge, in fact. And it didn't touch it. With Ajax instead of BKF, I was able to get a very tiny area clean after way too much scrubbing. So I took the next step in abrasives and wet-sanded, and it was STILL a lot of work.

After a discussion with my wife this evening, I learned that this was her first time searing in this particular pan on this cooktop, which was a detail I had been unaware of. Previously she'd been using a smaller fry pan, and took this one out because the pork loin was large. So I think that is the heart of the problem; too much heat and maybe this pan was NEVER used this way before. It's possible. Both the cookware and the cooktop are fairly new, and this cooktop is more powerful than the one it replaced.

Good to know that it's not the oil. Now I don't have to go have an argument with the supermarket.

I'll go season it as di reston advises. It's just been basically resurfaced, so I have to treat it like a brand new pan now.

Thanks all!

dwasifar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:32 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I've had no problem with Bottecilli in the past. I now use Trader Joe's EVOO. I use EVOO to sweat and sauté veggies on medium low heat as EVOO has low smoke point and as a dressing. I don't use EVOO to fry meats on high heat. I use canola, grape seed, coconut, peanut and avocado oils for high heat searing and frying as they have a high smoke point.

msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:31 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Time for steel wool on that pan, then. Break out the SOS pads, lol. And don't forget the miracle of soaking in hot sudsy water.
Stock Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:22 PM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Another option is to put the soiled pan into a plastic bag with a dish full of ammonia and leave it outdoors over night. The ammonia does all the work.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:28 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I burned fondue to bottom of my pot recently. I put a dryer sheet in the pot, hot water and blue Dawn dish soap. Let it soak for about a half hour then scrubbed. Burned stuff came off and pot had a nice shine when I was done.
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:29 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Yes. Ammonia is amazing. I have used it on stubborn oven racks. You want to avoid breathing it, but it does get the job done.
Stock Pot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:02 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If the oil in a SS pan is subjected to too much heat, it leaves a brown residue around the inside rim of the pan. No need to resort to sandpaper to clean your pan. All you need is a can of Barkeepers Friend, a scouring powder. Use it on a blue scrubber sponge and it'll do the trick.
When I use my SS pans, even to sear, I never have the heat higher than 6 (the dial goes to 10, and on one burner it has a "Power Boil" setting that's even higher), and usually no higher than 5. When I go higher, the meat doesn't release until it's actually burned - I found that out quickly after a few failures and I think it was a link from a thread here that put me onto a site that said the same thing. Stay at medium heat for best results frying meats on stainless.

When I do get anything stuck on my All Clad, I usually just heat it back up and deglaze with water before washing. That's only necessary if I didn't make a pan sauce after doing the meat.

To Di Reston: I've never seen any reason to try and season my stainless pans - I wash them clean and put them away dry. Cast iron and carbon steel are different, but stainless, just by its very nature resists seasoning. Both of my tri-play stainless pans (one Kitchen Aid and one All Clad) are as shiny and clean as the day I got them. The KA pan is about 12 years old.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #18
Sous Chef

BarKeepers Friend can do wonders . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pan12.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	28276  
dcSaute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:39 PM   #19
Executive Chef

+1..

Ross
Old 10-30-2017, 12:53 PM   #20
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
When I use my SS pans, even to sear, I never have the heat higher than 6 (the dial goes to 10, and on one burner it has a "Power Boil" setting that's even higher), and usually no higher than 5. When I go higher, the meat doesn't release until it's actually burned - I found that out quickly after a few failures and I think it was a link from a thread here that put me onto a site that said the same thing. Stay at medium heat for best results frying meats on stainless.

When I do get anything stuck on my All Clad, I usually just heat it back up and deglaze with water before washing. That's only necessary if I didn't make a pan sauce after doing the meat.

To Di Reston: I've never seen any reason to try and season my stainless pans - I wash them clean and put them away dry. Cast iron and carbon steel are different, but stainless, just by its very nature resists seasoning. Both of my tri-play stainless pans (one Kitchen Aid and one All Clad) are as shiny and clean as the day I got them. The KA pan is about 12 years old.
I agree 100% with everything here, and especially the cleaning technique. That's all I do, too. I've had plenty of crud baked on the bottom of SS pans, and usually I can just deglaze it with water. Often "scrubbing" requires nothing more than taking a folded up paper towel with a pair of tongs and rubbing the bottom of the pan with it while the water is boiling. If there's anything still a little stuck on after that, soapy water and a blue scrubby sponge does the trick.

Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, olive oil