"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 01-26-2015, 07:40 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Did you ever try and all cook the same meal?

I see there are a lot of members here who post pretty regular, have you ever tried to make a certain dish on the same night and compare pictures? Like on a saturday night what ever members want to try it can make the same dish {say chicken marsala one week then chili and cornbread another, etc}?

Not a competition in any way or form, just fun to think everyone is cooking the same thing and share feedback, it would be fun to see what everyone served with and drank with certain meals...

Old 01-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
I see there are a lot of members here who post pretty regular, have you ever tried to make a certain dish on the same night and compare pictures? Like on a saturday night what ever members want to try it can make the same dish {say chicken marsala one week then chili and cornbread another, etc}?

Not a competition in any way or form, just fun to think everyone is cooking the same thing and share feedback, it would be fun to see what everyone served with and drank with certain meals...
Sounds interesting.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:21 PM   #3
Master Chef

That could be fun C42. There have been some fun cooking contests here in the past, and the threads make for some good reading. You might want to check them out..

Cooking Contests - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
Master Chef

I think it would be interesting to go one step beyond this and just give a list of ingredients and the amounts of the various ingredients with no title or instructions.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:34 PM   #5
Wine Guy

Only problem is that we don't all eat the same sort of things, or have the same ingredients available.
Old 01-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Only problem is that we don't all eat the same sort of things, or have the same ingredients available.
Do K.I.S.S., no exotic ingredients, limit it to simple fare, meatloaf, meatballs, chicken comfort dishes, soups, stews etc....
Old 01-26-2015, 04:25 PM   #7
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Do K.I.S.S., no exotic ingredients, limit it to simple fare, meatloaf, meatballs, chicken comfort dishes, soups, stews etc....
Right. But even simple isn't as simple as it sounds. For example, some of us here don't eat certain foods because they contain wheat or some variation of wheat (bread, bread crumbs, pasta, etc.), sugar, rice, etc.

There aren't many recipes I could follow using the same list of ingredients as everyone else. I'm probably not alone.

But if substitutions were ok, then maybe.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post

Everyone's idea of simple food & comfort food is different. I detest meatloaf, meatballs, macaroni & cheese, and stew. I eat very little beef, and would never buy a potato if it weren't for guests. The foods you mentioned are traditional New England foods. If you live in the south or the west, you get a whole different menu.

For me, simple food includes grilled fish tacos, mango chicken, shrimp & avocado. To me, heavy food like you mentioned is not comforting - just heavy.

The idea may have merit, but be careful trying to define 'simple' and 'comforting' for the rest of us.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I was thinking you just say something like chicken marsala and then everyone makes it their way, we all learn different methods and if you can't have gluten you make it your way, if they can make peanut butter with no peanuts, I think most people with special diets can manage.. And you dont HAVE to participate in every one, I think even if not participating it will be a fun read and food pics are always nice... We can start a new thread for each dish, then when someone searches for a recipe there will be a bunch of them in one place with pictures and feedback...
Old 01-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Well, one could start out with individual nominations for a dish or an ingredient and which ever got the most votes, in a poll, that would be what anyone who participates then has to use in their dish to present to the group.

Eg-- we voted on chicken or homemade pizza or soup etc.
--

Or, we could dig up previous discussions on dishes we would like "to try" sometime, never seems to be specified when that date is. This would be a good way to showcase anyone's dish they have been saving for a rainy day, one that is new to them, or a recipe that someone else posted and you copied and saved. Whether it is a new dish you have never made, or just a new recipe that is different than how you usually make it.

I think this might be a fairly Open Category, so more people might participate.
--

I don't have a camera, so there would be no pics from me. I would try to be more succinct, try not to ramble, and be descriptive.

Whichever way this goes, if it goes, I think participants need to be willing to share the recipe they use. No chili and omit your secret ingredients here.

Tags
cook