Did you ever try and all cook the same meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4to

Senior Cook
I see there are a lot of members here who post pretty regular, have you ever tried to make a certain dish on the same night and compare pictures? Like on a saturday night what ever members want to try it can make the same dish {say chicken marsala one week then chili and cornbread another, etc}?

Not a competition in any way or form, just fun to think everyone is cooking the same thing and share feedback, it would be fun to see what everyone served with and drank with certain meals...

I see there are a lot of members here who post pretty regular, have you ever tried to make a certain dish on the same night and compare pictures? Like on a saturday night what ever members want to try it can make the same dish {say chicken marsala one week then chili and cornbread another, etc}?

Not a competition in any way or form, just fun to think everyone is cooking the same thing and share feedback, it would be fun to see what everyone served with and drank with certain meals...
Sounds interesting.

I think it would be interesting to go one step beyond this and just give a list of ingredients and the amounts of the various ingredients with no title or instructions.

Only problem is that we don't all eat the same sort of things, or have the same ingredients available.

Do K.I.S.S., no exotic ingredients, limit it to simple fare, meatloaf, meatballs, chicken comfort dishes, soups, stews etc....

Do K.I.S.S., no exotic ingredients, limit it to simple fare, meatloaf, meatballs, chicken comfort dishes, soups, stews etc....
Right. But even simple isn't as simple as it sounds. For example, some of us here don't eat certain foods because they contain wheat or some variation of wheat (bread, bread crumbs, pasta, etc.), sugar, rice, etc.

There aren't many recipes I could follow using the same list of ingredients as everyone else. I'm probably not alone.

But if substitutions were ok, then maybe.

Last edited:

Everyone's idea of simple food & comfort food is different. I detest meatloaf, meatballs, macaroni & cheese, and stew. I eat very little beef, and would never buy a potato if it weren't for guests. The foods you mentioned are traditional New England foods. If you live in the south or the west, you get a whole different menu.

For me, simple food includes grilled fish tacos, mango chicken, shrimp & avocado. To me, heavy food like you mentioned is not comforting - just heavy.

The idea may have merit, but be careful trying to define 'simple' and 'comforting' for the rest of us.

I was thinking you just say something like chicken marsala and then everyone makes it their way, we all learn different methods and if you can't have gluten you make it your way, if they can make peanut butter with no peanuts, I think most people with special diets can manage.. And you dont HAVE to participate in every one, I think even if not participating it will be a fun read and food pics are always nice... We can start a new thread for each dish, then when someone searches for a recipe there will be a bunch of them in one place with pictures and feedback...

Well, one could start out with individual nominations for a dish or an ingredient and which ever got the most votes, in a poll, that would be what anyone who participates then has to use in their dish to present to the group.

Eg-- we voted on chicken or homemade pizza or soup etc.
--

Or, we could dig up previous discussions on dishes we would like "to try" sometime, never seems to be specified when that date is. This would be a good way to showcase anyone's dish they have been saving for a rainy day, one that is new to them, or a recipe that someone else posted and you copied and saved. Whether it is a new dish you have never made, or just a new recipe that is different than how you usually make it.

I think this might be a fairly Open Category, so more people might participate.
--

I don't have a camera, so there would be no pics from me. I would try to be more succinct, try not to ramble, and be descriptive.

Whichever way this goes, if it goes, I think participants need to be willing to share the recipe they use. No chili and omit your secret ingredients here.

Everyone's idea of simple food & comfort food is different. I detest meatloaf, meatballs, macaroni & cheese, and stew. I eat very little beef, and would never buy a potato if it weren't for guests. The foods you mentioned are traditional New England foods. If you live in the south or the west, you get a whole different menu.

For me, simple food includes grilled fish tacos, mango chicken, shrimp & avocado. To me, heavy food like you mentioned is not comforting - just heavy.

The idea may have merit, but be careful trying to define 'simple' and 'comforting' for the rest of us.

Fine, instead of posting your dislikes, why not post your likes and we can go from there.;)

Well, one could start out with individual nominations for a dish or an ingredient and which ever got the most votes, in a poll, that would be what anyone who participates then has to use in their dish to present to the group.

Eg-- we voted on chicken or homemade pizza or soup etc.
--

Or, we could dig up previous discussions on dishes we would like "to try" sometime, never seems to be specified when that date is. This would be a good way to showcase anyone's dish they have been saving for a rainy day, one that is new to them, or a recipe that someone else posted and you copied and saved. Whether it is a new dish you have never made, or just a new recipe that is different than how you usually make it.

I think this might be a fairly Open Category, so more people might participate.
--

I don't have a camera, so there would be no pics from me. I would try to be more succinct, try not to ramble, and be descriptive.

Whichever way this goes, if it goes, I think participants need to be willing to share the recipe they use. No chili and omit your secret ingredients here.

I would love to try it however people want to do it, you tell m ethe dish, Ill make it for dinner and take pics...

Set up the lead topic for the thread with some basic ingredients, sort of like a Chopped basket, but common foods instead of weird. Then each does his own take on those ingredients. Maybe even limit the number of additional ingredients (like a max of 10 total, not including salt and pepper) to encourage newer cooks to participate without being intimidated. Minor substitutions for the basket ingredients could be allowed for specific health or dietary requirements (like some people simply can't stand cilantro, so could sub another herb for that, or replacing bread crumbs with oatmeal or corn meal, etc.) as long as it didn't change the entire idea for the challenge. Maybe allow everyone to replace one of the basket offerings if they so desired, but only one, and not the main ingredient that the theme is based on.

It would be interesting to see what sort of ideas might be presented. I think that each topic should be given several days so that anyone who wanted to participate wouldn't have to upset their entire weekly menu for that one meal.

Anyway, just tossing out some ideas that popped into my head this afternoon while the town power was turned off for an hour. :chef:

Last edited:
Set up the lead topic for the thread with some basic ingredients, sort of like a Chopped basket, but common foods instead of weird. Then each does his own take on those ingredients. Maybe even limit the number of additional ingredients (like a max of 10 total, not including salt and pepper) to encourage newer cooks to participate without being intimidated. Minor substitutions for the basket ingredients could be allowed for specific health or dietary requirements (like some people simply can't stand cilantro, so could sub another herb for that, or replacing bread crumbs with oatmeal or corn meal, etc.) as long as it didn't change the entire idea for the challenge. Maybe allow everyone to replace one of the basket offerings if they so desired, but only one, and not the main ingredient that the theme is based on.

It would be interesting to see what sort of ideas might be presented. I think that each topic should be given several days so that anyone who wanted to participate wouldn't have to upset their entire weekly menu for that one meal.

Anyway, just tossing out some ideas that popped into my head this afternoon while the town power was turned off for an hour. :chef:

I agree I would think leave it open for a week so anyone can cook it on their day off or at their convenience in that week...

I did. Apparently you skipped over that part.

5 things isn't much to go on, especially since mango tends to be an allergen for a lot of people; thus, leaving 4 things. And NO, they aren't just traditional New England foods. They are Southern comfort foods and pretty sure middle and western American foods.

Last edited:
I like RP's idea. I have participated in similar 'challenges' where one ingredient was chosen and everyone cooked a dinner using that ingredient on the same day (a Saturday) and posted the recipe they used and pictures of their dinner (if they could) by the end of the weekend. Tried & true recipes were requested but not required....not too many rules. It was fun, but I have a wacky schedule and the idea of having a week to cook is more appealing.

A chopped basket-ish theme sounds like a hoot.

Right. But even simple isn't as simple as it sounds. For example, some of us here don't eat certain foods because they contain wheat or some variation of wheat (bread, bread crumbs, pasta, etc.), sugar, rice, etc.

There aren't many recipes I could follow using the same list of ingredients as everyone else. I'm probably not alone.

But if substitutions were ok, then maybe.

Steve, that was someone else that suggested using the exact same ingredients. I was suggesting choosing a dish and making it as you wish, just not a dish using ingredients that would be hard to come by for anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im not sure where the confusion is. Someone just name a dish, everyone ( who wants to and can participate , participate). And follow your favorite recipe and compare them on the thread.

Its supposed to be fun, and a nice way to compare different versions of the same dish. This will allow everyone to get new ideas and learn from each other, which will help initiate further discussion and comparing ideas.

At least, thats how I understood it when posted.

For example. Lets assume the first dish was chicken Parmesan. Im a vegetarian, and obviously wouldnt use chicken. BUT , I can make some sort of vegetarian "Fake chicken substitute ' parmesan, post it among all the other posts. Maybe someone who had vegetarian guests and wanted to try a vegetarian option for dinner would like my idea, and then use it in the future. OR, maybe I'd scan through the other recipes posted, and find a sauce that would be a great enhancement to my vegetarian dish.

%90 of the recipes and ideas I get from the internet, cooking shows and even here on this forum, I cant technically eat do to my vegetarian diet. But, I learn quite a bit of techniques, substitutions, partial recipe ideas that keep me coming back day after day for more ideas. So even for those who dont or cant participate on a certain recipe, you still may benefit from the posts.

Just saying :)

Larry

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom